Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Best Value For The Money
Toyota/Lexus
31.67%
Honda/Acura
23.33%
Subaru
3.33%
Nissan/Infiniti
8.33%
Ford/Mercury/Lincoln
1.67%
Saab
0%
Volvo
0%
Hyundai/Kia
16.67%
BMW
5.00%
Mercedes
1.67%
VW/Audi
1.67%
Chevrolet/Pontiac/Buick
0%
Saturn
0%
Cadillac
1.67%
Smart
0%
Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep
0%
Mitsubishi
0%
Jaguar
0%
Cadillac
1.67%
Other (Explain)
0%
Mazda
3.33%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: What auto company gives you the most for your money?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-08, 03:39 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
Mike, you should have a side poll to see who voted for the car that they actually own. Guessing that many would vote for their current car manufacturer to justify their spend.
People don't always buy the car they perceive as the best value. If they did, we probably wouldn't have much of a Lexus forum....there are lots of cheaper cars than a Lexus out there; many good ones at that. The question arises (and that is where a thread like this comes in)..........are those cheaper cars actually a better buy, or is the extra money for a Lexus (or other upmarket car) worth it? Lexus, of course, is generally considered the epitome in paint smoothness/gloss, riding quietness (except for some IS models), and except for some well-publicized transmission flares, powertrain smoothness. Other areas, though, are more open to debate.

Just FYI, I have a Subaru myself, and consider the best values on the market, for the money, to be a virtual tie between Subaru and Hyundai/Kia. Subaru has pretty much sold me on how they do a simple, reliable AWD with the flat-boxer engine.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-25-08 at 03:44 PM.
Old 11-25-08, 04:16 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
People don't always buy the car they perceive as the best value. If they did, we probably wouldn't have much of a Lexus forum....there are lots of cheaper cars than a Lexus out there; many good ones at that. The question arises (and that is where a thread like this comes in)..........are those cheaper cars actually a better buy, or is the extra money for a Lexus (or other upmarket car) worth it? Lexus, of course, is generally considered the epitome in paint smoothness/gloss, riding quietness (except for some IS models), and except for some well-publicized transmission flares, powertrain smoothness. Other areas, though, are more open to debate.

Just FYI, I have a Subaru myself, and consider the best values on the market, for the money, to be a virtual tie between Subaru and Hyundai/Kia. Subaru has pretty much sold me on how they do a simple, reliable AWD with the flat-boxer engine.

I understand the point that you are making...but, again, you're talking about a lot of different criteria...many of which are subjective. We could argue 'til the cows come home about which brand is better for design, interiors, fit & finish, etc. Technology, performance, etc. of course are much easier to define. I guess it comes down to how an individual defines value. I may be more comfortable and happy spending more money on, say, a Lexus vs. a Hyundai. I would see the value in the extra spend. It all comes down to personal choice and nobody is right or wrong in a discussion like this.
Old 11-25-08, 04:25 PM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Toyota?

Nothing screams LOOK AT ME but considering how reliable (well..maybe, sorta, usedta, kinda..err), the quality, and resale value, I think it's definitely up there.

But with all honesty, I think Subaru gives you the most. I mean, look at the current Outback. If it wasn't for the badge, I think it'll pass as a cheaper version of the A6 Allroad. I have an Audi magazine from Japan and they surveryed current Audi owners and asked what their other choices were...almost half of them IIRC chose Subaru.
Old 11-25-08, 04:39 PM
bad co
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall

clarkson hates the scooby diesel engine fyi, he says no low end torque so you have to rev the nuts off of it to get moving and its quite noisy