Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Chevy Aveo

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-08, 06:31 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts
Thumbs down Chevy Aveo

Well, just a little thing for people to read, but since our es300 had gotten into an accident with and Aurora, we received a free rental car, it was a Chevy Aveo. Now it may be just because it is a rental car, but this thing is AWFUL!!! It has 4,000 very carefully driven rental car miles and already the interior looks like it is in taters, the engine sounds gritty, loud, and almost like a golf cart. When you start it, it sounds as if the engine will conk out and die. If you take a turn, it feels as if it will flip, much like a golf cart. The worst part of it all, it the transmission. It refuses to change into second, and when it does change, it feels like you are in an old pickup truck, in other gears it sounds as if it is slipping. Also, the trunk is well, ridiculous, i could not fit my hockey bag in the car, and honestly it isn't that big. So i come up with this conclusion, save your money and buy one of those cool escalade golf carts, it may be the car, but most of these issues can be blamed o it being a rental, who knows
Old 11-24-08, 06:38 PM
kalvano
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's a $10K new.

What did you expect?
Old 11-24-08, 06:43 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Not sure which model Aveo you rented (apparantly a lower-line one), but the Aveo 2LT model has a stunning interior for that class of car, outdoing far more expensive cars in trim quality and fit/finish.

However, I agree with you that Aveos, even brand-new, drive like a pint-sized appliance. Some are trimmed like a luxury car, but, functionally, they are just basic transportation.
Old 11-24-08, 06:46 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by kalvano
It's a $10K new.

What did you expect?
Nothing great, but i never said i was expecting something good. But i would much rather get a used yaris or fit over this, even with the yaris' quirky styling and those center mounted dash, and this was a bottom of the line aveo. I talked to a friend whose dad owns a major chevy deakership and even he said he would much rather have a suzuki sx4 or yaris over this. There was a possitive about getting in an accident, no more rock chips
Old 11-24-08, 06:53 PM
kalvano
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jmd93
Nothing great, but i never said i was expecting something good. But i would much rather get a used yaris or fit over this, even with the yaris' quirky styling and those center mounted dash, and this was a bottom of the line aveo. I talked to a friend whose dad owns a major chevy deakership and even he said he would much rather have a suzuki sx4 or yaris over this. There was a possitive about getting in an accident, no more rock chips
I used to sell Chevy's. Aveos suck. Overpriced, rebadged Daewoo's.

If someone asked for an Aveo, I would just shake my head and go to the Cobalts and tell them to find an extra $30 a month.
Old 11-24-08, 07:00 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

^^^ To tell you the truth, i actually like the cobalt, i just can't stand a lot of the people who drive them haha. This is sort of funny, when my mom used the car to drive to tennis, some of the people she played with were like, how did you go from that big lexus truck to this tinny little golf cart. There words not mine, and my mom just started laughing
Old 11-24-08, 09:14 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

My mom once got a Dodge Stratus while her RX300 was in the shop....after driving it I was not surprised this fall when my boss's Stratus burst into flames in the parking lot. Haha, Im still laughing about that one.
Old 11-24-08, 11:21 PM
GS3Tek

Received 168 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by kalvano
I used to sell Chevy's. Aveos suck. Overpriced, rebadged Daewoo's.

If someone asked for an Aveo, I would just shake my head and go to the Cobalts and tell them to find an extra $30 a month.
I had a cobalt as a loaner and it wasn't bad at all.

I don't understand the aveo or why anyone who would buy them.
Old 11-24-08, 11:27 PM
yusef
Lexus Champion

LOL! we have an Aveo, the crappy 06 5 door model.

its our get from point A to point B car. for $9,000 its not bad haha. I agree i dont like the car, but ive actually taken it to a few canyons over here hahahaha and the thing is fun to drive and is pretty hard to flip. Trust me on that

but yea...it sucks
Old 11-24-08, 11:42 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Not sure which model Aveo you rented (apparantly a lower-line one), but the Aveo 2LT model has a stunning interior for that class of car, outdoing far more expensive cars in trim quality and fit/finish.

However, I agree with you that Aveos, even brand-new, drive like a pint-sized appliance. Some are trimmed like a luxury car, but, functionally, they are just basic transportation.
My father rented a base aveo once...he likened it to driving a clothes dryer down the hwy...
Old 11-25-08, 01:57 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

^^^^ I think a lot of people have made that exact comparison haha,although there is a positive to having it, i don't feel bad about it being parked outside while it snows and our rx and lx sit in the nice warm garage