Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Night Visibility with 5% Tint

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-08, 08:51 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,393 Likes on 1,568 Posts

Originally Posted by dsnowgs4
I understand everyones concern, however let me put something else out there.

I have been driving with 5% on my last 4 vehicles (almost a decade), and I feel that it actually MAKES you a better driver for all the reasons everyone is pointing out.

At night time it forces you to do a triple check to see if anything is moving, and I feel that it makes you more sensitive to subtile motions in the dark, as your visibility is limited.

If your eyesight is poor at night to begin with, it does make it more difficult some may argue impossible, but I do think that I am a much better driver at night because the tint has forced me to become more aware of my surroundings.

Just my thoughts.
So if 5% makes you a better driver, 1% would make you even better?
Old 11-26-08, 09:05 AM
dsnowgs4
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Funny! No but if something makes you concentrate more on Driving. Then I personally think it is a good thing. Unlike our cellphones, ipods and Nav systems. I think that 5% tint is one of the smaller dangers that people should consider in a car.

Let me equate it this way. If you constantly drive on Snow/ice covered roads, or you are constantly pushing the edge of traction with your car on a track, then you will eventually learn the subtilties and limits of your car. And thus it will make you a better more responsible driver.

Like I said its just my opinion and my experience.
Old 11-26-08, 09:27 AM
Spyder78
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Are you sure, then, that your tint is legal in NY state? The cops probably wouldn't pull you over so much if it was, although one can't always tell just by looking at it.......sometimes you have to use a light meter.
No my tint is illegal in NYC but you pay to play.
Old 11-26-08, 09:28 AM
Spyder78
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by JonSC4
Why would you tint the front windshield? That's really not a good idea.
Why not? My car has a grey interior thus making the tint look lighter than it is. The front windshield is minimal, its the sides that screw me.
Old 11-26-08, 09:34 AM
Spyder78
Lexus Champion

Unlike most people I have very sensitive eyes to light, my tint actually helps me because I am not blinded by other vehicles. Tinting the windows is a personal call especially the percentages, but since I do drive daily and I drive in one of the most populated cities in the world, if the tint hindered my safety or the safety of others I would have taken it off. It does not affect me. Its just like sports some people are good at it while other suck, I am great with dark windows, put me into a car with no tint and I see no difference between mine and the other car, just the lack of privacy.
Old 11-26-08, 11:04 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i have 5% on my truck. i can't see out at night when parking or backing up, i have to roll the window down. that sucks but it's nice in teh summer, it really keeps the sunlight out and the interior cooler.
Old 11-26-08, 11:17 AM
howat
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with all the posts which questions the logic of dark tint. My car already came with the tint, so too late. Would the tint prevent some of you from the purchase?
Is it costly to remove?
Old 11-26-08, 11:21 AM
howat
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm sorry, but the higher the tint percentage the more careful a driver will become - based on his write up.

Interesting perspective though.

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Old 11-26-08, 01:17 PM
luxury1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would never tint my windshield since it substantially increases your chance for a ticket.

Also, tint is more than just about style, it is about privacy and safety. For instance, everybody has seen the guy (or has been the guy) who checked out the cute girl in the car next to him sometimes at a light or sometimes driving down the road. You probably have seen someone take it to the next level and try to get their attention. Then you hear about the instances where the guy followed the girl home. The tints eliminate this scenario because that guy can't see into the car which is one of the main reasons why my wife's car is tinted. She rolls by and all you see is a black window.

I also like it for privacy reasons as I don't feel like a fish in a bowl. I find it similar to closing the blinds at my house. It just makes me feel better.

I do agree with the underlying point though, you need to find a tint that doesn't compromise your visibility. This is the main reason I initiated this thread as I was unsure how much of an impact 5% would have on my visibility.
Old 11-27-08, 03:10 PM
herbvdh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would much rather have the tint the same on all windows as the rear windows are on my RX400h I have seen total blackout windows here to the point you cannot see the driver or anyone in the vehicle. I have been told that tinting the front is illegal because the police cannot see the driver till the window gets opened. If that is true why do some police cars have total blackout if it is illegal. IMO if they can do it we should be able to also.
I wanted my eyeglasses to be tinted darker with the sun sensing lens and was told not legal because max tint is 35% which is what I got now.
Old 11-27-08, 03:45 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by herbvdh
I have been told that tinting the front is illegal because the police cannot see the driver till the window gets opened.
That is correct. It is done for safety reasons. Police have been shot during routine traffic stops because they could not see who is going for a gun.

If that is true why do some police cars have total blackout if it is illegal. IMO if they can do it we should be able to also.
Cops, in general, don't go around shooting other cops. Of course, neither does the average motorist, either, but the actions of a few often determine how the majority will be treated....that is true of many things in life.

It also helps in stings, raids, stakeouts, observations, etc..... because criminals don't know if a cop is in the car or not.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-27-08 at 03:48 PM.