Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

New York orders that $66 Million addn'l traffic tickets written

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-08, 09:51 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by J.P.
One day, hopefully the America people are going to stand up to the government. We are over taxed in every category and tickets is just one more example of being taxed to death.

The problem with the idea of "standing up" to government is that legally, in all 50 states, driving is considered a priviledge and not a "right". One cannot make it a right simply by thumbing their noses or wishing otherwise...it just doesn't work.

So, what CAN you do to keep from getting ticketed? Simple. Same as always. Slow down. Don't run stop lights. Don't openly flaunt state laws with too-dark tint or other illegal customizing. Don't drink and drive. Obey speed limits, reasonably (most cops won't ticket you for just a few MPH over). And, if you DO get pulled over, don't sass the cop or give him/her any guff.....the better and more courteous you act, the better the chances are that he or she will let you off with a warning.

Write tickets because someone honestly deserved it. Not because you think of it as a fine source of revenue to cover a budget shortfall.
Agreed.......No arguments there. But, again the better you drive and act, the less chance you will wind up like this:

Also, not that I condone the act of writing out indiscriminate tickets, but consider this: The more tickets they write (and are paid) the lower your potential taxes will be. I think it's only fair that those who break traffic laws the most should have the stiffest financial burdens.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-27-08 at 10:16 AM.
Old 11-27-08, 10:55 PM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i agree marshall,

people who break the law need to be checked with heavy fines.

since police do not heavily enforce traffic violations, people do stupid ish all the time and everywhere you look.

I swear to God, if they put up at least 5 cops in the Bronx, they'd get their $66 million and then some.
Old 11-27-08, 11:23 PM
djspawn00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A friend just got a ticket last night for going through a red light... strange thing is we were in the car making a left turn when the left turn signal turned green permitting us to go... I thought we were getting a ticket for tints... but the cop said he went through the light... he also waved 3 other cars to pull over and who knows what he made up for them...

I just wonder where these guys are when my car is getting broken into or when you've got some highschool kids racing their rice mobiles at 110mph...
Old 11-28-08, 10:02 AM
1993ES300x
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

for the pass year i got tickets for crazy stuffs, plate FRAME that the dealer put.. went to court and got it dismiss. my cousin park my car on the street, got a ticket for street cleaning at 9:31 when the time was 9:30... and those parking for one hour only in manhatten that doesn't have a meter or those ticket meters. Park there for 10 minutes and came back, found a ticket for parking over an hour.. how the hell they clock you on that??.. tickets for speeding or driving reckless and endangering others on the road i agree on. but pity crap like this????.. come on..
Old 11-28-08, 10:40 AM
darkdream
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow what a messed up system to require such large quotas...sounds worse than California actually...
Old 11-28-08, 01:05 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by djspawn00
I just wonder where these guys are when my car is getting broken into or when you've got some highschool kids racing their rice mobiles at 110mph...
These kids are crafty. They set up elaborate warning and lookout systems for police cars, marked or unmarked, around the areas they are going to race in, like the old primitive air-raid warning systems used in warfare. First cop car that penetrates the network, the word flashes through, and they all scatter like rats.
Old 12-01-08, 12:09 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

they are lining our freeways with sped cameras in AZ for the same reason. They need cash badly and they are gonna screw us to get it. I hate this stuff. Hit the avg guy when he is hurting.
Old 12-01-08, 06:37 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by NINEZeRO
Actually compared to some other nations that are better off (fewer crimes, better quality of life, etc) pay much higher taxes. I think some countries in Europe pay over 60%. The US was pretty low on that list.
If Europe was so much better than why do people still come out in droves trying to live in the US. People are certainly not coming out in droves to move to Europe. Their economy is stagnant due to high taxes and their nanny state laws. Who would want to open a business in Europe vs opening one in the US? They had to form the EU just to rival the US economy.

Hong Kong has a 15% flat income tax rate. Yet their economic power density can easily defeat Europes major economic regions. And Hong Kong has to import basic natural resources and they are still able to do this. Its because they have a laissez faire govt, and because of that they dont have to pay for a gigantic bureaucracy. They have huge tax revenue surpluses every single year due to the combination of greater economic freedom and a small govt.

Last edited by 4TehNguyen; 12-01-08 at 06:42 AM.
Old 12-01-08, 07:48 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Bottom line in NYC: Follow the rules and you will not have to worry. Don't block the box & pay the meter if you must park on the street. I drive every day to work in Manhattan and never recieved such tickets..