Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

New York orders that $66 Million addn'l traffic tickets written

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-08, 05:08 PM
LexFather

Thumbs down New York orders that $66 Million addn'l traffic tickets written

http://wcbstv.com/politics/nyc.ticke....2.874084.html

NYC On Ticket Blitz; 200 Traffic Agents Added
Better Be On Your Best Behavior With Your Car Because Cash-Strapped City Is Out To Raise $66 Million
Manhattan To Get 100 Agents; Staten Island Spared ... For Now

Pablo Guzman NEW YORK (CBS) ¯ You may have begun to notice more traffic tickets being written. And you may have guessed -- correctly -- that it has to do with getting New York City more money. Well, brace yourselves, the city is putting 200 more ticket-writing traffic agents to work.

The city's latest move to close the budget gap is annoying New Yorkers to no end. Soon, you may not be able to avoid the police no matter what you do. Approximately 100 of the agents will be in Manhattan; the other 100 will be spread out across the other boroughs.

"You get stuck out there in the middle; not because you're not paying attention," driver Rob Frangavilla said. "People walk across; you're stuck there. I just think it's a crazy way to raise money."

"No more tickets, because they're so aggressive," driver Ephraim Kaufman said. "It's unbelievable. Like, you go to pay the ticket -- for machine -- but while you put in the money to buy the ticket they give you a ticket!"

NYPD Commissioner Ray Kelly laid out the plan on Tuesday.

"[We will put them] in Bronx, Brooklyn and Queens. We will not deploy them right now in Staten Island," Kelly said.

The agents will be looking primarily for drivers who "block the box" at intersections. That ticket will cost $115.

However, Mary Jo Albanese thinks it's a good idea.

When asked if she'd be annoyed if the traffic agents came up to her and ticketed her instead of putting the notice n her car, Albanese said, "Well if I was doing the right thing, I wouldn't get a ticket."

The city thinks it can raise an extra $66 million this way.

Old 11-26-08, 05:16 PM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One day, hopefully the America people are going to stand up to the government. We are over taxed in every category and tickets is just one more example of being taxed to death.

Write tickets because someone honestly deserved it. Not because you think of it as a fine source of revenue to cover a budget shortfall.
Old 11-26-08, 05:52 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

amazing how they put these up with no shame
Old 11-26-08, 10:30 PM
Sash
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For the past couple of months agents have been handing out tickets to people parked at hydrants while they're still in their cars. They just sneak up, scan the sticker and hand you a ticket. In all honesty I don't see what the big deal is when the driver is present and capable of moving at any given moment. $115 for absolutely nothing, I find it nonsense.
Old 11-26-08, 11:13 PM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We're no better off here in California, but I'm sort of glad that I don't live in NY...
Old 11-26-08, 11:58 PM
Spyder78
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

they get enough money from me right now. It just makes me want to say screw them. In the last year and a half I have paid prob $600 for tint and parking tickets.
Old 11-27-08, 12:21 AM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

If the cops started to actually ticket taxis they would have no problem raising their money.

Taixs man, swear to god ... random stopping, unsignlaed lane changes, running lights (or sitting at green ones, which ever makes the least sense, they're doing it), turning from the wrong lane, need I go one?

I rarely ever see taxis pulled over, but I've yet to be driving near one and have it NOT do something to **** me off. It's like the taxi promise: "we as taxi drivers to solomly swear to cause as many issues as possible at all times we are within proximity to our cars"

In short, cops should ticket taxis if they need the revenue so badly.
Old 11-27-08, 07:21 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

why anyone would want to live there is beyond me. NY won the most economic oppressed state in 1999 2004 and 2008. Due to the nickel and diming of all kinds of taxes. They pay the highest state income tax already
Old 11-27-08, 07:27 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

Worse was Mexico City and I knew a few New Yorkers who lived down there with me who would attest to this. They had police checkpoints set up ad hoc. Regardless of whether it was the police on their own who decided to do it or the city that put them up to it, I have never seen such a bigger revenue machine in all my life.
Old 11-27-08, 07:55 AM
GSoup
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

NYC is pretty bad.

I just got a $65 ticket a couple of weeks ago. I parked on a residential block to drop off my daughter off at her Saturday morning class. What I didn't realize was that a small part of the block had meters. i didn't notice the meter because there was also a light pole next to it and about 50 bikes chained to it. The sad thing is that I parked at about 9:25-9:27am walked her to the school and came back in a matter of maybe 5 mins. Mind you the meter wasn't in effect until 9:30am but I got a ticket at about 9:31am. It appears the meter agent was waiting somewhere for the clock to turn 9:30am.

I see this all the time near my job. The meter agents see a meter that is about to expire in a couple of minutes so they will stand around and wait then issue the ticket. Sometimes hiding in doorways or in an area you can't see them. Just think of vultures circling and waiting for their prey to finally die.
Old 11-27-08, 08:48 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,412 Likes on 1,581 Posts

Eventually the 'people' ('meter agents') will be out of the picture and it will be all electronic. They'll even accept paypal.
Old 11-27-08, 09:21 AM
NINEZeRO
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by J.P.
One day, hopefully the America people are going to stand up to the government. We are over taxed in every category and tickets is just one more example of being taxed to death.

Write tickets because someone honestly deserved it. Not because you think of it as a fine source of revenue to cover a budget shortfall.

Actually compared to some other nations that are better off (fewer crimes, better quality of life, etc) pay much higher taxes. I think some countries in Europe pay over 60%. The US was pretty low on that list.
Old 11-27-08, 09:29 AM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

wow, I didn't think they still had quota's in NYC. When I was young (late 60s, early 70s) my grandparents who lived in the Bronx used to talk about quota's that the officers had for writing tickets and the need to be extra careful the last few days of the month. Kinda sad to see that's still in place.
Old 11-27-08, 09:37 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,412 Likes on 1,581 Posts

Originally Posted by NINEZeRO
Actually compared to some other nations that are better off (fewer crimes, better quality of life, etc) pay much higher taxes. I think some countries in Europe pay over 60%. The US was pretty low on that list.
The U.S. does it as "death by a thousand paper cuts" though... so NY+federal for high income people is easily 50% (don't forget property taxes, capital gains taxes, registrations, licensing, fees, and on and on...). You're right though, most of Europe is still higher. Highest UK income tax bracket is now 45% I think (vs. 36% in U.S.) but there's basically no deductions or loopholes there, plus 17.5% sales tax. The sales tax was about to be RAISED but now it may be lowered to stimulate their economy. But they've said they'll make back the difference by upping the "sin" 'duties' or 'tariffs' (aka taxes), i.e., alcohol and tobacco...
Old 11-27-08, 09:44 AM
LexFather

I'm reading this article on other car forums and residents are expressing the same thing. They literally sit and wait for you to fock up. A lot of pissed of people.

One guy got a ticket for parking in front his own driveway!

Quick Reply: New York orders that $66 Million addn'l traffic tickets written