Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

BMW to abandon high-revving engines in M cars; X6 first 'M' to get turbo

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-08, 11:30 AM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Might not be a bad idea, especially for the American market. Like with a lot of VTEC Honda/Toyota fours, the average American driver doesn't want to carry the RPMs out to stratospheric levels to get max HP or torque. The M3, for instance, has its 414 HP peak at an absurd 8000 RPM, with only 295 ft-lbs of torque. While that, of course, is no slouch, I myself have driven/reviewed several cars just in the last year alone than can handily dust off an M3 in low/mid-range torque. The Mercedes E63 AMG, for example, has 465 ft-lbs. of torque at a lower RPM....the C63 AMG almost as much. The upcoming Cadillac CTS-V (which has not been released to the public yet) has 551 ft-lbs. of torque from its supercharged V8......that's almost TWICE the torque of the M3, and at only 3600 RPM.

If BMW can do a good turbo powerplant for the M cars (and it already has an excellent one in the 135i/335i twin-turbo six to start from), then, IMO, to risk another pun, more power to them.
Exactly....
As an owner of a high-revving engine M car, I can tell you that I miss the torque of my 550 (not enough to get rid of my car however!). I look forward to the day that I can enjoy the entire bandwidth of my powertrain in the drive I have to/from work.

Now maybe if I took my car to the track every weekend, I might feel differently.....

but I doubt it....
Old 11-29-08, 01:03 PM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

They're going to M the X6 Aztec? Who would buy one?
Old 11-29-08, 01:06 PM
Ay-nako
Stop the Copy!

Received 115 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

damn so sickkkk!!
Old 11-29-08, 01:11 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by doug_999
Exactly....
As an owner of a high-revving engine M car, I can tell you that I miss the torque of my 550 (not enough to get rid of my car however!). I look forward to the day that I can enjoy the entire bandwidth of my powertrain in the drive I have to/from work.

Now maybe if I took my car to the track every weekend, I might feel differently.....

but I doubt it....
The 550i and 335i are probably the two best all-around street-driving BMWs I've driven, although, admittedly, the M3/M5 will probably outdo them, handling-wise, on a track.
Old 12-01-08, 12:01 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I think this is a good thing. more torque early on. I think they need to do this because of the massive torque of the amg c class. Its torque numbers make the M3 look like an s2000. striaght up torqueless
Old 12-01-08, 07:58 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The V10 in the M5/M6 will remain and will just have twin turbos.. Turbo charging does improve fuel efficiency & performance across the board in the Bimmers.. It sure does wonders in the 335 & X6.
Old 12-01-08, 01:53 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Bean
turbo motors make more power and have a superior powerband, what are you guys fussing about?

Smart move by BMW. Now if they can only get their weight problems, electrical gremlins, and glass drivetrains under control... and fire Chris Bangle.
Turbos add weight and complexity. This is the SAME M BRAND who stated in the early 2000 years they will NEVER turbo a car or make a SUV M b/c its not with the brands philosophy. They snickered at the AMG FI cars for not being "pure".

Well seems they have to eat their words.

That being said, "M" vehicles are still awesome.

Old 12-01-08, 02:22 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
The V10 in the M5/M6 will remain and will just have twin turbos.. Turbo charging does improve fuel efficiency & performance across the board in the Bimmers.. It sure does wonders in the 335 & X6.
So you are saying they will just slap 2 turbos on the V10 motor??

That doesnt sound right.
Old 12-01-08, 02:24 PM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Could've sworn they said no FI and NO SUV in the ///M line

another great reason why I left BMW for good...
Old 12-01-08, 02:26 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by whlkev

yes, they did say it, never FI. and why would they have a M line for suv and not the 7 series? beyond me
Old 12-01-08, 02:57 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

X6 xDrive M

Who names these? Prolly the same guy who makes up the awful names for U.S. military operations.
Old 12-01-08, 03:18 PM
SilverBull
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love my 335i but the M3 kicks *** on the track. I took my 335 up to Spring Mtn. Raceway a few weekends ago. It was a blast!
Old 12-01-08, 03:59 PM
MelF1fan
Driver

They do have to eat their words about not doing FI.

But it's not entirely their fault. They are forced to do it due to the ever changing Gov't rules on emissions standards here in the US and in Europe. So it makes sense to go this route.

As much as i love their M engine philosophy, I have a soft spot for turbo cars as well. And BMW has done a fine effort with their inline six and looks to do just as well with the new v8.

I'm sure once they release these new engines and we read about / experience them for ourselves, we'll all move onto another topic.
Old 12-01-08, 04:01 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by MelF1fan
They do have to eat their words about not doing FI.

But it's not entirely their fault. They are forced to do it due to the ever changing Gov't rules on emissions standards here in the US and in Europe. So it makes sense to go this route.

As much as i love their M engine philosophy, I have a soft spot for turbo cars as well. And BMW has done a fine effort with their inline six and looks to do just as well with the new v8.

I'm sure once they release these new engines and we read about / experience them for ourselves, we'll all move onto another topic.
True. I would suggest they expand the M to include more options. Audi has S and RS and AMG offers different engines in different cars (S63, S65 for example).

They should make maybe lightweight, pure, CSL NA "M" cars and then turbo higher HP, more complex "M" cars.

Just a thought.

Old 12-01-08, 05:26 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by whlkev

Can I ask what makes those "great" reasons?

Quick Reply: BMW to abandon high-revving engines in M cars; X6 first 'M' to get turbo