Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

More lol: Acura V8 won't arrive until 2015

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-08, 04:39 PM
superchan7
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Time to push those turbos and turbodiesels. Sounds a bit too late for the V8.
Old 11-30-08, 07:35 PM
leedogg
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lol, what were they going to stick in the NSX?

Its a shame when it almost seems like the Honda line has more prestige and focus than the Acura line now. Its almost like Acura is holding back Honda from doing stuff (i.e. Honda cant offer X because it would infringe upon Acura)

The timeless designs of the 3rd generation TL and even the RL are no more. Now we have the ugly monstrosities out there right now. I'm not sure if they are being stubborn, obstinate or what. Do they use a test market at all??? Did they not learn from their horrible nsx concept car experience? Seems like the only thing they learned was to not display one @ an auto show in advance anymore. I'm willing to bet some high up exec saw how ugly it was and didnt want to deal with the backlash from a nightmare auto show experience and sent it straight to production.

Its just a shame the possibilities that they could have done with these designs.

Old 11-30-08, 08:23 PM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Wow, that black RL looks really great! It really does seem a shame how neglected that car was.
Old 11-30-08, 11:26 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

20 years to late. lexus came out with a v8 a long long time ago, and nissan/ infiniti as well. When large motors are no longer desired they produce their first???? Thats a little GM sounding to me. I love honda and I know they know what they are doing. I wonder if this is the motor for the new NSX or are they going with a v10??
Old 12-01-08, 01:22 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

those RL are nice, but as flagships, they aren't
Old 12-01-08, 04:07 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Honda/Acura, in general, is Consumer Reports' overall highest-rated auto company.
Thank you, I agree. 1sick's relentless pursuit to dog Honda when he can is sometimes funny, but getting old. We all know how he feels about Honda/Acura. I, myself, have questioned Honda's designs as of late and have to wonder where their styling is headed. I have faith in Honda, though, and they will, once again, build visually appealing cars. Maybe Mike should ask himself how it is that Honda, even today, remains one of the most successful car companies in history.
Old 12-01-08, 12:56 PM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by IS350jet
Thank you, I agree. 1sick's relentless pursuit to dog Honda when he can is sometimes funny, but getting old. We all know how he feels about Honda/Acura. I, myself, have questioned Honda's designs as of late and have to wonder where their styling is headed. I have faith in Honda, though, and they will, once again, build visually appealing cars. Maybe Mike should ask himself how it is that Honda, even today, remains one of the most successful car companies in history.
And this faith is based on what? The only two Hondas I'd own, the NSX & S2000, were designed by a man no longer with the company. Everything recently penned, from the RL redesign, new TL, and any new NSX rendering, has looked uninspiring. I don't think there will be another Honda that I'll want to own in the future unless it's another used NSX.

Sorry, but I agree with Mike. I guarantee you that he'd be recanting his statements about Honda if they actually stepped up to the plate and delivered something we'd all want. But I seriously doubt they will.
Old 12-01-08, 01:12 PM
LexFather

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by pvmike1
And this faith is based on what? The only two Hondas I'd own, the NSX & S2000, were designed by a man no longer with the company. Everything recently penned, from the RL redesign, new TL, and any new NSX rendering, has looked uninspiring. I don't think there will be another Honda that I'll want to own in the future unless it's another used NSX.

Sorry, but I agree with Mike. I guarantee you that he'd be recanting his statements about Honda if they actually stepped up to the plate and delivered something we'd all want. But I seriously doubt they will.
Exactly. Who didn't want a Honda/Acura in the 1980s and early 1990s? I know I wanted them....
Integra GS-R or Type R
S2000
CRX
Del Sol
Civic SI (with a real suspension)
Accord with flip up head lights, 4th and 5th gens
Prelude, Prelude Sh, Prelude Si
NSX!!!! NSX Type R, Zarnadi NSX
Legend

Honda has become the new Toyota, period, except they are lot uglier, less powerful and Acura has become a complete joke. The S2000 is the only sports car they sell now. We have Elements, Pilots, giant Accords, ugly Acuras etc.

Don't get mad at me. Get mad at Honda/Acura for doing what Toyota did. Going after sales and profit and ignoring the people that loved these cars initially.

Acura shouldn't be contining to "talk" about a V-8, which is MANDATORY for a luxury brand. Hyundai or Kia didn't talk much, like Nike, they said "just do it".

You think I'm bad? You should read NSXPrime and how those guys feel the direction Honda/Acura has taken. Or just re-read what pvMike1 said.

Old 12-01-08, 01:18 PM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^ As I said, I, myself, have questioned their latest designs. Honda has done this before with the Accord in 1994-1998. I was flabbergasted at that design. Honda came through with the 1999-2003 model which was so much better, I even bought one, A 2002. The 2004-2007 was even better, IMO. This is the faith that I have in Honda. The new Accord is not my style but who knows, maybe the next gen. will do it for me. They've come through for me in the past, so history tells me that they'll do it again.
You base your opinion strictly from an enthusiasts point of few, which is okay, but keep in mind that Honda builds cars mostly for the mainstream.
It would be pretty smug to think that one or two bad designs is enough to completely write-off a car company forever, especially one with such a jeweled past, like Honda.

Last edited by IS350jet; 12-01-08 at 01:25 PM.
Old 12-01-08, 01:21 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
20 years to late. lexus came out with a v8 a long long time ago, and nissan/ infiniti as well. When large motors are no longer desired they produce their first???? Thats a little GM sounding to me. I love honda and I know they know what they are doing. I wonder if this is the motor for the new NSX or are they going with a v10??
Honda/Acura has been known to produce high revving high output small displacement engines for years.. That is what they are known for.. A V8/V10 will be a departure of that philosophy... Keep it status quo Honda..
Old 12-01-08, 01:31 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Some interesting history about Honda's engine philosophy...

http://world.honda.com/history/chall...e/text/01.html
Old 12-01-08, 01:46 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by IS350jet
^^ As I said, I, myself, have questioned their latest designs. Honda has done this before with the Accord in 1994-1998. I was flabbergasted at that design. Honda came through with the 1999-2003 model which was so much better, I even bought one, A 2002. The 2004-2007 was even better, IMO. This is the faith that I have in Honda. The new Accord is not my style but who knows, maybe the next gen. will do it for me. They've come through for me in the past, so history tells me that they'll do it again.
You base your opinion strictly from an enthusiasts point of few, which is okay, but keep in mind that Honda builds cars mostly for the mainstream.
It would be pretty smug to think that one or two bad designs is enough to completely write-off a car company forever, especially one with such a jeweled past, like Honda.
While Acura is barely a smidge over Honda, we are not talking about Honda here. Honda clearly knows how to run a business. Honda clearly knows how to sell vehicles. This cannot be disputed.

This is about Acura. For years I've called this brand out for being what it is, pseudo luxury. Knock-off luxury. Imitation luxury. Year by year, they prove my point. They make statements like "want to be Tier 1" and "we will make this" and then we get concepts like that giant robot *****.

Acura's tagline is "Advance" but outside of some nifty Nav and SH-AWD, there is nothing "Advanced" about the brand. The Honda Accord is pretty much just as good as a TL/RL losing on a few options. That is a problem, especially since its now BETTER looking. Now to add insult to injury, they have argueably the UGLIEST lineup around.

I have no faith in Acura. None. Lets look around, the competition has NOT stood still. Acura is saying "We will have a V-8 soon" like no one else does. Lexus has what 4 or 5 V-8s? Infiniti has 2. Volvo has one. Ford, Chevy, Pontiac, Hyundai, Kia, Lincoln, who doesn't have a V-8?

Adding a V-8 solves nothing really. Expensive Acuras don't sell. They waited WAAAY to long to make one. Lets say its 2015 and they have a V-8. Well so the hell what.

Everyone else has had a V-8 for decades. Lexus and Infiniti would have one for almost 30 years.

Old 12-01-08, 01:55 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
Honda/Acura has been known to produce high revving high output small displacement engines for years.. That is what they are known for.. A V8/V10 will be a departure of that philosophy... Keep it status quo Honda..
"has been"

they are no longer "high output" (and really never were to be honest) since they get dusted in nearly every engine class
Old 12-01-08, 02:17 PM
robloc93
Lexus Test Driver

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

here let me give them a head start.......
Old 12-01-08, 02:30 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

to me the logic is very simple. i know honda is capable, they definitely are. given their racing history, i am sure they can make very good engines. but the fact is they haven't

and given the market / trend, hyundai came out with a good v8 setup way before honda does? tell me that doesn't say something....

Quick Reply: More lol: Acura V8 won't arrive until 2015