Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

More lol: Acura V8 won't arrive until 2015

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-08, 03:01 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IS350jet
^^ As I said, I, myself, have questioned their latest designs. Honda has done this before with the Accord in 1994-1998. I was flabbergasted at that design. Honda came through with the 1999-2003 model which was so much better, I even bought one, A 2002. The 2004-2007 was even better, IMO. This is the faith that I have in Honda. The new Accord is not my style but who knows, maybe the next gen. will do it for me. They've come through for me in the past, so history tells me that they'll do it again.
You base your opinion strictly from an enthusiasts point of few, which is okay, but keep in mind that Honda builds cars mostly for the mainstream.
It would be pretty smug to think that one or two bad designs is enough to completely write-off a car company forever, especially one with such a jeweled past, like Honda.
Nobody is "writing off a carmaker forever". Let's not jump to conclusions. What people here, and on other forums are arguing is that Honda HAS lost the plot. They've lost focus, consistency, and continuity. This is not just from an enthusiast's point of view, but from a mainstream consumer's point of view.

Honda was once considered an innovative company in the eyes of mainstream buyers. Among mainstream buyers, Honda once had a reputation for class-leading fuel economy. This is no longer the case. Among mainstream buyers right now, Toyota has the best reputation when it comes to fuel economy. In terms of innovation and engineering excellence, Honda no longer enjoys such a great reputation amongst mainstream buyers. Honda still does enjoy a reputation of reliability amongst mainstream people, despite their reliability problems they've had, and more worrying their stubborn attitude towards fixing their reliability problems. Toyota as well has had reliability problems, but they've handled those problems and customers with the problems better than Honda has with their problems. Toyota's hybrids have given Toyota both a fuel economy reputation as well as an innovation and engineering excellence reputation.

Honda also used to have a reputation among enthusiasts as being the Japanese automaker with the highest HP engines. That is also no longer the case.

A lot of people cricitizing Honda right now are FORMER Honda enthusiasts or owners. That includes myself, as years ago I used to be a Honda enthusiast.

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
Some interesting history about Honda's engine philosophy...

http://world.honda.com/history/chall...e/text/01.html
That is simply the philosophy and mindset behind the VTEC system, NOT Honda's general engine philosophy.

Honda's engine philosophy is well-known to most enthusiasts, which is a motorcycle engine philosophy. Lightweight, small (relative to the competition) engines with high redlines, most of the usable power in the higher RPM range, and low torque. ALL of Honda's engines for decades have conformed to this philosophy. This is Honda's engine philosophy simply because Honda does not know how to build engines any other way, and this has caused trouble for Honda is certain market segments and regions in the world where the market requires and demands high-torque engines.

Even so, the philoshophy and mindset Honda had when developing VTEC is no longer around in the company. Honda back then was willing to push boundaries, to be very creative and to give their engineers very ambitious goals as well the freedom to achieve those goals. As any Honda enthusiast should know, Shigeru Uehara left the company because the corporate culture within Honda had changed, and such freedom in engineering as well as innovate thinking is no longer encouraged the same way it was 20 years ago.

New Honda keep getting bigger and heavier, but the problem is Honda's engine philosophy has not changed so new Honda and Acura vehicles desperately lack torque relative to their curb weights. This makes them difficult to drive in bad weather conditions like rain or winter conditions. This also makes them annoying to drive in city traffic conditions. Unless Honda's engine philosophy changes, this situation will only get worse as Honda's vehicles continue to get heavier.

If you look at the competition, many of their vehicles are getting heavier BUT they also are getting engines with low-end torque increases AND getting better, more efficient transmissions.

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
While Acura is barely a smidge over Honda, we are not talking about Honda here. Honda clearly knows how to run a business. Honda clearly knows how to sell vehicles. This cannot be disputed.

This is about Acura. For years I've called this brand out for being what it is, pseudo luxury. Knock-off luxury. Imitation luxury. Year by year, they prove my point. They make statements like "want to be Tier 1" and "we will make this" and then we get concepts like that giant robot *****.

Acura's tagline is "Advance" but outside of some nifty Nav and SH-AWD, there is nothing "Advanced" about the brand. The Honda Accord is pretty much just as good as a TL/RL losing on a few options. That is a problem, especially since its now BETTER looking. Now to add insult to injury, they have argueably the UGLIEST lineup around.

I have no faith in Acura. None. Lets look around, the competition has NOT stood still. Acura is saying "We will have a V-8 soon" like no one else does. Lexus has what 4 or 5 V-8s? Infiniti has 2. Volvo has one. Ford, Chevy, Pontiac, Hyundai, Kia, Lincoln, who doesn't have a V-8?

Adding a V-8 solves nothing really. Expensive Acuras don't sell. They waited WAAAY to long to make one. Lets say its 2015 and they have a V-8. Well so the hell what.

Everyone else has had a V-8 for decades. Lexus and Infiniti would have one for almost 30 years.
Don't forget, Acura is not just some separate company here. Honda makes all the decisions when it comes to the Acura brand. The blame for Acura's poor competitive position in the market is all on Honda, because it is senior Honda officials who always have the final say in terms of what happens at the Acura brand.
Old 12-01-08, 03:44 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Thank you, I agree. 1sick's relentless pursuit to dog Honda when he can is sometimes funny, but getting old. We all know how he feels about Honda/Acura. I, myself, have questioned Honda's designs as of late and have to wonder where their styling is headed. I have faith in Honda, though, and they will, once again, build visually appealing cars. Maybe Mike should ask himself how it is that Honda, even today, remains one of the most successful car companies in history.
Mike (1SICKLEX) and I don't always agree, especially on Acura's marketing policies and its role in the marketplace, but I'm not going to criticize him. I have a very high opinion of his automotive abilities and judgements....he is one of CL's best auto reviewers.
Old 12-01-08, 06:22 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Nobody is "writing off a carmaker forever". Let's not jump to conclusions. What people here, and on other forums are arguing is that Honda HAS lost the plot. They've lost focus, consistency, and continuity. This is not just from an enthusiast's point of view, but from a mainstream consumer's point of view.

Honda was once considered an innovative company in the eyes of mainstream buyers. Among mainstream buyers, Honda once had a reputation for class-leading fuel economy. This is no longer the case. Among mainstream buyers right now, Toyota has the best reputation when it comes to fuel economy. In terms of innovation and engineering excellence, Honda no longer enjoys such a great reputation amongst mainstream buyers. Honda still does enjoy a reputation of reliability amongst mainstream people, despite their reliability problems they've had, and more worrying their stubborn attitude towards fixing their reliability problems. Toyota as well has had reliability problems, but they've handled those problems and customers with the problems better than Honda has with their problems. Toyota's hybrids have given Toyota both a fuel economy reputation as well as an innovation and engineering excellence reputation.

Honda also used to have a reputation among enthusiasts as being the Japanese automaker with the highest HP engines. That is also no longer the case.

A lot of people cricitizing Honda right now are FORMER Honda enthusiasts or owners. That includes myself, as years ago I used to be a Honda enthusiast.
I own two Hondas as well. I'd like you to back up the claim about "their stubborn attitude towards fixing their reliability problems". Honda has been more than fair on replacing transmissions on out of warranty cars that have seen failure. They extended the warranty on their cars to 100K, admitted to fault and have fixed the issues completely. I don't agree with everything Honda is doing lately (or what they haven't done), but Toyota has had a lot more quality problems as of late compared to Honda. That includes transmissions, recalls, axels, etc. Both automakers are going down the cheap-route as well. Take the trashy low-bin interior of the Corolla, Matrix and Tundra - It's worse than anything Honda has put out. Once again VW sets the standard for build quality, a quality the Japanese long held. I'd like them to return to this philosophy, but Toyota in particular seems keen on mass market, cheap assembly vehicle appliances as of late. I'm not talking about every car they make, but the ones I listed above certainly fall into this category. While the interior of the new Golf 6 competes with the Phaeton for overall finish and quality, the Corolla seems to be benchmarking the domestics (Honda falls into this as well).
Old 12-01-08, 06:54 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by FKL
I own two Hondas as well. I'd like you to back up the claim about "their stubborn attitude towards fixing their reliability problems". Honda has been more than fair on replacing transmissions on out of warranty cars that have seen failure. They extended the warranty on their cars to 100K, admitted to fault and have fixed the issues completely. I don't agree with everything Honda is doing lately (or what they haven't done), but Toyota has had a lot more quality problems as of late compared to Honda. That includes transmissions, recalls, axels, etc. Both automakers are going down the cheap-route as well. Take the trashy low-bin interior of the Corolla, Matrix and Tundra - It's worse than anything Honda has put out. Once again VW sets the standard for build quality, a quality the Japanese long held. I'd like them to return to this philosophy, but Toyota in particular seems keen on mass market, cheap assembly vehicle appliances as of late. I'm not talking about every car they make, but the ones I listed above certainly fall into this category. While the interior of the new Golf 6 competes with the Phaeton for overall finish and quality, the Corolla seems to be benchmarking the domestics (Honda falls into this as well).
on the particular tranny issue, i can't agree honda is doing everything already. they never really admitted all fault. from my experience and what i read, there were two main issues with the tranny, but they only had recall and "fix" for one of them. the other one basically was a design flaw and they never did anything to fix, just replacing trannies with rebuilt ones case by case.

now if you ask me is that good? hell no. tranny is freaking safety issue, and that's exactly why i sold my tl-s so soon after ownership. i know people with 4 trannies on their tl, and no need to look far, my officemate has the tranny replaced in his odyssey.

i do have to say their new trannies are much better, at least i don't hear complaints anymore. but i can also tell you their poor runs from 00-03 on most of their v6 cars put that much sour taste on owners. most of the people i know who owned honda during those period said they will not return to honda for time to come. that's mainly not coz' honda had a bad tranny, but the fact that honda didn't do close to enough to address the issue

sorry went OT a bit, but i think this needs to be cleared. and again back to v8, i am really about "see it to believe it" with honda at this point.
Old 12-01-08, 07:22 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by FKL
Take the trashy low-bin interior of the Corolla, Matrix and Tundra - It's worse than anything Honda has put out.
You mean the Camry, don't you? The Corolla's interior, believe it or not, has better and more-solid materials than the Camry's, especially in dash plastics and control *****. Except for the climate-control dials and back-door trim, Toyota has not done as much cost-cutting with the Corolla as with some other models.

I agree with you about the Tundra's low-rent materials......it's awful.

Once again VW sets the standard for build quality, a quality the Japanese long held.
VW indeed does some things well, but their steering-column stalks and some of the dash buttons are flimsy and low-rent. They also are known for electrical-wiring and socket problems.
Old 12-01-08, 08:05 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall

VW indeed does some things well, but their steering-column stalks and some of the dash buttons are flimsy and low-rent. They also are known for electrical-wiring and socket problems.
I agree that the latest Jetta/Passat have had downgrade in interior quality from the previous generation, yet they are still the best in their class. Fitment, the absense of screwheads, soft-touch dash materials, etc. The company has admitted that they cut money on the interior of these products for the independent rear suspension setup, go figure. I don't find the column stalks to be any cheaper than what's in my 2002 Honda Accord, but they are obviously inferior to the older model Volkswagens. I don't think the buttons in the Jetta/Golf are anywhere near the disaster that I have in my 2004 Accord (where the entire center console is lined with cheap rough plastic switches that when pushed, creak the entire dash - that's downright cheap. I like to consider everything when I'm talking about build, and VW has always out-done their Japanese foes in this department, to the end that they are the class benchmark (not for reliability!). The overhead sunvisors for example, are purposely done in a vinyl wrapping, and when you look at the design, it's actually quite sophsticated as the lighting is fully integrated into the ceiling above the mirror so it's not reflecting directly into your face. Further, they pull out on their hinge so there is no need for an additonal plastic extention. I spend a lot of time noticing little German design integrations as I'm driving between the Passat and Accords. Life's all in the details, right
Old 12-01-08, 08:15 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by FKL
They certainly have not fixed issues completely. Honda has never fully admitted to, and fixed the transmission issues and other reliability problems that Insight owners have had to deal with, Honda has not fully addressed issues for 04-07 TL owners. There is also a growing number of 06-07 Civic Si owners who are having transmission issues and Honda has yet to acknowledge there is a problem, and has yet to address the problems with any fixes.

I won't get into a discussion about quality or interiors of Honda vs Toyota as that would be going a bit too off-topic. I will say that interior quality issues is not as serious as transmission problems. Recalls are not indicative of how many problems an automaker has; recalls simply show how well an automaker is dealing with and responding to issues, which may not be serious at all. There is the example of that floor mat recall Toyota did.

Also, Toyota's transmission issues relating to their 6-speed auto are nowhere near as serious as Honda's transmission problems and issues over the last 8-10 years. Honda has had problems with *both* manual and automatic transmissions in a variety of models over the past several years. Honda has not fully addressed or fixed all of these problems; it has only partially done so.
Old 12-02-08, 05:34 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Mike (1SICKLEX) and I don't always agree, especially on Acura's marketing policies and its role in the marketplace, but I'm not going to criticize him. I have a very high opinion of his automotive abilities and judgements....he is one of CL's best auto reviewers.
Heck no, nobody's criticizing him. I, like you, respect his automotive insight and look forward to reading all of his comments. However, the Honda/Acura rants take away some of the respect that he's gained on these boards. Your own commentary on these forums are very mature and, for the most part, unbiased. I always look forward to reading your reviews and comments because I know they come from a nonjudgmental point of view. It's different with Mike. I like him and his posts but I would just love to see him write an unbiased review on a Honda.
Old 12-02-08, 07:15 AM
LexFather

Heck no, nobody's criticizing him. I, like you, respect his automotive insight and look forward to reading all of his comments. However, the Honda/Acura rants take away some of the respect that he's gained on these boards. Your own commentary on these forums are very mature and, for the most part, unbiased. I always look forward to reading your reviews and comments because I know they come from a nonjudgmental point of view. It's different with Mike. I like him and his posts but I would just love to see him write an unbiased review on a Honda.
Its clear I WAS a fan of Honda/Acura in the 80s and early 1990s and I think currently they are just overrated, ugly and average. I've started quite a few threads praising the NSX (which I regard one of the greatest vehicles ever made). I just had a thread praising the Acura Legend of 91-05. I also started a thread giving the last generation TL appreciation, it grew to 5 pages + The S2000 is another superb vehicle they make. Hell I also did a review on the last gen TL (which I think is a SUPERB vehicle)
(I'll search and link these later).
I suggest read ALL my posts on the brand(s), not just the ones that don't show them in a positive light or I rip them so bad Jeremy Clarkson cringes.

If you haven't noticed, I've ripped every brand, including Toyota/Lexus (check the when Toyota had ***** thread I started) when appropriate.

Want me to be quiet? Tell Acura stop with these utterly useless chats/leaks with the press and walk the walk, stop talking it. Every month we hear something ridiculous.

Old 12-02-08, 08:39 AM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by meowCat
Many people (including myself) would think it's a shame for Honda to stick with I-4's and V6's, but what Honda has been trying achieve is to maintain efficient and high output power by using smaller engines with VEEEEETEKKKKKKKKKK system. This is Honda passion. I knew this.... I used to like it....... not sure about now.
I beg to differ. My neighbors have a 2007 Pilot FWD with the 3.5L J35 V6 with i-VTEC/VCM and they get 22MPG highway and 16-17 city. My 18 year old 1UZ-FE gets 19 city and close to 26 highway. Our Sienna doesn't have VCM and it gets the same MPG as the Pilot. Now I know why Toyota doesn't jump on the MDS bandwagon like GM, Mopar and Honda.

And their hybrids are a joke, sure the Prius is uglier than an Ugg boot but the Prius has more TORQUE than the Civic Hybrid, a better hybrid system rather than the parallel assist-only IMA, and the Prius feels well-composed(suspension aside) at highway speeds than the Civic Hybrid.

Honda still makes a good car, but sadly their message of making a practical car and their no-nonsense marketing is gone.
Old 12-02-08, 10:27 AM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Acura is in trouble, no doubt.

In November '08 Acura sold 3,160 TLs compares to 4,064 in November '07. I know the economy is a huge factor but let's not forget that the TL has just gotten the re-design, a drop of 25% with a brand new model is not good under any economy.

If I am Acura I would do something quick about it.
Old 12-02-08, 11:09 AM
LexFather

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by ffpower
Acura is in trouble, no doubt.

In November '08 Acura sold 3,160 TLs compares to 4,064 in November '07. I know the economy is a huge factor but let's not forget that the TL has just gotten the re-design, a drop of 25% with a brand new model is not good under any economy.

If I am Acura I would do something quick about it.
Even if the economy wasn't faltering, it wouldn't sell better than the last gen. I predicted the new TSX would flop. IT DID. During the spring/summer, it barely sold better than the last model a couple months and then sold worse than it. People blamed everything and everyone but Acura. I also predicted it with the RL, the RDX and now TL.

Acura and dealers are still internally fighting over painting the grill. Dealers are not listening to Acura stating they cannot sell cars with that grill. Acura insists the grills be sold untouched, they are the new Acura face. What a mess.

Old 12-02-08, 11:22 AM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Dealers are not listening to Acura stating they cannot sell cars with that grill.
That statement alone is very significant in my opinion, it told us two things:

1. The new corporate grille is horrible beyond belief, and

2. The car itself is really nothing special compares to the competitors because if it is, the grille alone wouldn't stop people buying it. Seriously, I would suck it up and get the car if it comes with 350hp, SH-AWD, $35k and handles better than the 335i...

The painted-grille TL is showing up all over the places. I just saw a black one in my local Acura dealership (Power Acura in Torrance, CA, which is right down the road from the NA Acura headquarter...) and it is sitting on the best spot on the lot. There is not a thing Corporate Acura can do about it, the dealers need to sell cars and they'll do anything to accomplish it.
Old 12-02-08, 11:35 AM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

Acura's tagline is "Advance" but outside of some nifty Nav and SH-AWD, there is nothing "Advanced" about the brand.......
I hope I didn't skip a posts.

Their TL tagline "The most powerful Acura" got me

Aren't they stepping on their flagship- the RL's foot??????????
Old 12-02-08, 11:46 AM
DrUnBiased
Pole Position

Even if the economy wasn't faltering, it wouldn't sell better than the last gen.
Ah ha! So Acura IS immune to the economy!

Quick Reply: More lol: Acura V8 won't arrive until 2015