Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

BMW: "worst crisis in history" (and other Carmakers positions)

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-08, 08:29 AM
LexFather

Red face BMW: "worst crisis in history" (and other Carmakers positions)

http://autocar.co.uk/News/NewsArticle.aspx?AR=236253

Car makers that had seemed in a strong position to weather the global economic storm have publicly admitted a 'crisis' as sales continue to slow down.

BMW's boss Norbert Reithofer yesterday described the situation to Germany's Spiegel magazine as "the worst crisis BMW has faced in its history".

Despite the slow sales, it is the German giant's reliance on leasing that has put it in a very vulnerable position.

Meanwhile Daimler boss Deiter Zetsche assessed the current conditions as "the worst crisis since World War II".

Martin Winterkorn, boss of Volkswagen, told reporters: "We have never before seen this kind of crisis" adding that "difficult cuts" maybe unavoidable.

But it's not just the German's who are talking openly about serious problems.

Previously stable Japanese giant manufacturers like Honda and Toyota are also publicly airing grave concerns.

Toyota's vice president Mitsuo Kino****a described the situations as "an emergency of a magnitude we have never seen before".

Honda has also admitted that it will be "very difficult" to meets its full-year profit forecast and is scaling back production by some 40,000 units in Japan.

Industry experts say the most flexible car makers, which can adjust quickly to falling demand, will be best placed in the months to come.

Old 11-30-08, 08:14 AM
Anthony
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And you know what BMW still didnt want to make any deals
Went to 3 diffrent BMW dealers for a 08' 335 when the 09's were out and they stil didn't want to negoitate.
Old 11-30-08, 10:37 AM
luxury1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah, they don't negotiate that much around me either. They need to get a lot more aggressive as every deal counts right now.
Old 11-30-08, 12:30 PM
kalvano
Lead Lap

Remember, a great deal has to do with the area the dealer is in. Not all dealers are getting hit hard.
Old 11-30-08, 12:36 PM
darkdream
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Even though they are getting hit hard... aren't most auto manufacturers (excluding American) still making profits?
Old 11-30-08, 01:25 PM
herbvdh
Lexus Test Driver

This does not surprise me at all a local dealer here keeps all vehicles under lock and key. Sales must locate a key before you sit in a car on the showroom floor. I went to a dealer about fifteen miles away walked in the showroom to simply ask for a brochure on a vehicle. The secretary wanted my name adress telephone number for sales purposes immediately before I could have a brochure. I politely declined and walked out the door.
Old 11-30-08, 02:00 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,441 Likes on 1,601 Posts

Originally Posted by G2low
Went to 3 diffrent BMW dealers for a 08' 335 when the 09's were out and they stil didn't want to negoitate.
I spoke to a sales guy at a local BMW dealer and he said they were doing 'fine, and not like other brands'.

I got the feeling this is a 'line' to project confidence rather than project doom and gloom or desperation.
Old 11-30-08, 05:09 PM
Stormwind
Racer

From the sales numbers I read most manufactures are still making a lot of money despite the economy, they are not making what they used to make but doing well enough that they don't have to give it away at bargain prices. I would assume that is why BMW won't budge on their prices.
Old 11-30-08, 05:34 PM
luxury1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by herbvdh
This does not surprise me at all a local dealer here keeps all vehicles under lock and key. Sales must locate a key before you sit in a car on the showroom floor. I went to a dealer about fifteen miles away walked in the showroom to simply ask for a brochure on a vehicle. The secretary wanted my name adress telephone number for sales purposes immediately before I could have a brochure. I politely declined and walked out the door.
This drives me crazy. I will not give info until I am ready. Organizations that do this pressure type selling lose a lot of business that they are not even aware of.
Originally Posted by bitkahuna
I spoke to a sales guy at a local BMW dealer and he said they were doing 'fine, and not like other brands'.

I got the feeling this is a 'line' to project confidence rather than project doom and gloom or desperation.
You are right, they want you to think that everything is fine. There is no doubt that this is not the case.
Old 11-30-08, 06:08 PM
ExTrEmE99
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

My buddies told me that the dealership's manager has been calling customers trying to get them in and return their lease cars early(without penalty) and upgrade to a M3 or another 335. I think they're getting desperate in the bay area. A lot of dealerships has closed due to the falling economy/high gas prices.
Old 11-30-08, 11:29 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Dont buy unless they are desperate. We are not in a rush . they are in a rush to save their asses.

Originally Posted by luxury1
Yeah, they don't negotiate that much around me either. They need to get a lot more aggressive as every deal counts right now.
Originally Posted by bitkahuna

cocky BMW dealership BS.

yup
Old 12-01-08, 05:43 PM
Anthony
Lexus Champion

true..

My mother was in the market for a new car last month, we went to lexus and they said they sold 13 cars today and BMW sold only 4 says his "friend at BMW"...

We went to BMW same day..right down the street.. Guy had the same line we sold this many BMW's while my friend at Lexus sold this many...

Seems like they all use the same line, which my step dad called him out on
I thought it was funny...

So she ended up buying a Mercedes C class..

they wanted to deal.. and traded in my 96 gs300 for $5250.00..it had 143,000miles
Old 12-01-08, 06:58 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

dealerships are all about supplies and demand. it's not just bmw, i have seen arrogant lexus dealerships as well. generalizing a brand from one dealership that seems pretty silly

i know enough connections on lexus that most of the time i get very decent prices to begin with. moving to bmw, i also know enough people who can refers me that i get very reasonable deals as well. i walked into audi dealerships and experience was so-so, but i am not putting down audi just coz' of that

bottom line is if they cant' sell, they will bow eventually. important thing is to make sure you are not at the position of "i have to buy something now", then you are ready to negotiate. the market is quiet everyone knows, and even executives have said they are facing crisis. those are facts. if a dealership stands hard, then either they have a lot of loyalty owners with money coming back, or eventually they will suffer double consequence

and stuff that sales say, we all know there are stuff you listen and there are stuff you just don't care
Old 12-01-08, 07:25 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

BMW told my dad that the x-drive system is better than Quattro.....hahahaha, right. And Goldstar is better than Sony. Sure.
Old 12-01-08, 08:40 PM
Anthony
Lexus Champion

lol..

the sales man was trying to show us how "great" X-Drive was and it wasnt picking up anything anyone said even numbers..

There all basically the same, I mean usually JM lexus usually gave us great deals, we bought 4 lexus' from them, but they didnt want to come down on the numbers this time so we bought a mercedes..

I still like the IS350 better