Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Tata Motors in trouble-What will happen to Jaguar/Land Rover

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-08, 09:46 PM
LexFather

Question Tata Motors in trouble-What will happen to Jaguar/Land Rover

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...AIY&refer=home

Dec. 2 (Bloomberg) -- Tata Motors Ltd., the maker of Jaguar and Land Rover vehicles, declined the most in almost two weeks in Mumbai trading after sales declined in India and Credit Suisse downgraded the stock.

Tata Motors fell as much as 5.8 percent to 125 rupees and changed hands at 129.55 rupees at 10:44 a.m. in Mumbai, having declined 82 percent this year. The company's American depositary receipts yesterday slid a record 18 percent to $3.75 in New York, the most since they began trading on Sept. 27, 2004. They have declined 80 percent this year.

The Mumbai-based company's vehicle sales plunged 30 percent in November, the most in at least four years, as higher loan rates and a slowing economy damped demand for trucks and cars.

``The slowdown in the car market hurts Tata Motors's business particularly hard as it lacks the brand to compete effectively,'' Govindarajan Chellappa, a Mumbai-based analyst at Credit Suisse, wrote in a note dated yesterday. ``Jaguar and Land Rover will also likely face severe demand contraction over the next year due to negative wealth effect.''

The automaker yesterday turned to the public to raise loans for the first time in 13 years as the credit crunch limits its ability to refinance $3 billion of bridge loans taken to buy Jaguar and Land Rover.

India's biggest truckmaker yesterday said total vehicle sales declined to 32,696 in India and overseas last month, compared with 46,947 a year earlier. Tata Motors doesn't give monthly sales of its luxury units. The company's commercial vehicle sales in India fell 40 percent to 16,229, it said.

Stock Downgrade

Credit Suisse's Chellappa downgraded the company to ``neutral'' from ``outperform.''

Tata Motors is offering as much as 11 percent annual interest on three-year deposits to raise money from the public, spokesman Debasis Ray said yesterday. A government bond with a similar maturity offers a 6.97 percent yield.

The company needs money to replace the loans it had used to fund the $2.4 billion purchase of the U.K.-based luxury units from Ford Motor Co. A global credit crunch after the bankruptcy of Lehman Brothers Holdings Inc. has cut the availability of financing for companies amid a worldwide recession.

Tata Motors needs to repay the entire $3 billion loan by June 2009. It has already repaid about $890 million using funds raised from a rights offer of shares, Chellappa wrote.

Tata Motors will need to raise 114 billion rupees through in the fiscal year ending March 31 or next year, he wrote. It may have to sell more equity as the debt market is frozen, he wrote.

Refinance Bid

The company is seeking to raise $1.2 billion in loans to refinance debt from the acquisition, International Financing Review said, without saying where it got the information. The company is in talks with banks about a five-year loan to its Tata Motors U.K. unit, IFR reported.

Tata Motors will pay around 600 basis points above the London interbank offered rate, the largest spread on any loan from an Indian company, IFR said. A basis point is 0.01 percentage point.

The fundraising comes as Moody's lowered Tata Motors's rating by two levels to ``B1,'' four ranks below investment grade on Nov. 28 and said its credit outlook is negative. Moody's last lowered the rating on June 3.

Old 12-01-08, 09:47 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well... That didn't take long...
Old 12-01-08, 09:59 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Ford can actually make profit if they buy it back at dirt-cheap prices.

Too bad they don't have any money to do it...
Old 12-01-08, 10:00 PM
iKenn
Just call me "Sprinkes"

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I hope they still make Range Rovers when i make my first million.
Old 12-01-08, 11:26 PM
tfz_hebe89
Lexus Champion

Toyota can grab the range rover..toyota's SUV reliability + fuel economy + Rangy's brand image and cool design + supercharged engines = I smell success..
Old 12-01-08, 11:44 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Sometimes brands just die ...
Old 12-01-08, 11:45 PM
Kaydee
Hacked CL to become a Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Please don't let Jag die!!! Just about when they are starting to turn it around and making some changes
Old 12-01-08, 11:49 PM
farquad
Lexus Test Driver

isn't tata motors huuge?
Old 12-02-08, 05:32 AM
luxury1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I will have to look closely at my next service bill to make sure that there isn't an additional billion dollars on it

It really was a timing problem, Tata made the transaction in the worst year possible.
Old 12-02-08, 07:35 AM
LexFather

I predicted this would be a disaster. I didn't predict this financial crisis but the end result will be the same.

Old 12-02-08, 08:15 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 350 Likes on 226 Posts

I wouldn't say "makers" of Jag and Land Rover. They haven't owned it long enough to liquidate the cars they bought in the first place, much less build more. It's possible that Tata hasn't produced much of anything.
Old 12-02-08, 08:15 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by tfz_hebe89
Toyota can grab the range rover..toyota's SUV reliability + fuel economy + Rangy's brand image and cool design + supercharged engines = I smell success..
Toyota shouldn't touch it. I think they're doing well with their current methods. I wouldn't want Toyota to become the next GM.

Toyota needs to be able to "micromanage." That's how they maintain utmost quality. They've tripped up recently with huge growth and less maintenance in the past few years. I think taking Land Rover will further deteriorate their build methods...

Originally Posted by farquad
isn't tata motors huuge?
In everything but making cars.

Just like how Volvo does trucks, buses, construction equipment, and aerospace components; but their cars are a bit lack luster.

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
I wouldn't say "makers" of Jag and Land Rover. They haven't owned it long enough to liquidate the cars they bought in the first place, much less build more. It's possible that Tata hasn't produced much of anything.
I think Tata's plans was to reorganize Jaguar and Land Rover to make it viable and profitable.

They haven't had enough time to reorganize anything. However, with the tough world economic crisis, I don't think they'll have the resources to do it properly and efficiently.

Tata has two options: ride it out like everyone else struggling, or just let it die, which would be catastrophic in the automotive world.

Last edited by PhilipMSPT; 12-02-08 at 08:22 AM.
Old 12-02-08, 08:57 AM
Stormwind
Racer

Man these American car makes are like the plague anyone who touches them gets into deep dongus. I remember when Mercedes bought up Chrysler Benz quality went to the dirt and that is the first in over 150 years. Not suprisingly after MB dumped them their quality went back up again.

I felt sorry for Tata now they cought this disease and don't know what to do with it.
Old 12-02-08, 09:10 AM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jaguar can go, although I'll miss the XF quiet a bit...

Land Rover on the other hand needs to be saved. Although the reliability is in the s***-hole but the overall built quality is top notch. Also, no one does off-roading luxury utility better than LR in the car business, the only competitor I could come up is the Lexus LX.
Old 12-02-08, 10:05 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Look for Volkswagen to purchase Land Rover & Jag..

Quick Reply: Tata Motors in trouble-What will happen to Jaguar/Land Rover