Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Who has a Chrysler Town and Country?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-08, 10:59 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Who has a Chrysler Town and Country?

We have about 6 people in our family and are looking to do some serious vacationing from now on.

We looked at so many cars, Infiniti QX, Mercedes GL and R class, Toyota Sequoia & Landcruiser & Sienna, Chrysler Aspen, Lexus LX570, Cadillac Escalade, Honda Odyssey among others, Town and Country without a doubt has more space and features combined than all of these cars.

I just picked up an 08 limited (4.0) fully loaded today for $35k straight up out the door with tax and licensing included. MSRP was $42k + tax & fees.

I just wanted to know what other people were paying for them? I hear of few Lexus owners here talking about 7-8seaters but just wanted to see if I got a pretty good deal, it took me about an hour to work them down to $35k.

We got it in black metallic sand, very nice, we're going skiing soon.

Next car, Hummer or MB.
Old 12-02-08, 11:06 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you look at the Routan? Price you got seems very good.
Old 12-02-08, 11:38 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Man, we were about to see the Routan but the VW dealership was too far, I really wanted to get it too...
Old 12-03-08, 12:17 AM
Mesca
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Grats on the new car G Star!
Old 12-03-08, 05:55 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by G Star
Man, we were about to see the Routan but the VW dealership was too far, I really wanted to get it too...

You're probably not missing that much. I looked at the Routan briefly when I reviewed the new Jetta TDI, but did not test-drive it. It is built on the Caravan/Town and Country platform and chassis, and even has a Chrysler V6 underhood. It also shares some of the sheet metal panels (others are different), but, from what I've read, rides firmer and (maybe) handles a little better than the Chrysler versions. Usually, though, with a minivan, you're not looking for sports-car handling, but ride comfort. Inside, the Routan, of course, has VW-sourced interior parts instead of Chrysler, and is easily recognizable as a VW product, but, lke some other new VW's, has some low-rent plastic trim pieces and controls.

Consider an extended powertrain warranty on your Town and Country, if you don't have one, or are not satisfied with the length of the warranty you have. The problem is much better now than in the past, but Chrysler/Dodge-designed minivans have a history of transmission problems, often requiring replacement.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-03-08 at 05:59 AM.
Old 12-03-08, 07:54 AM
Anthony
Lexus Champion

Is the Chrysler Town and Country the mini van that has the Table in it?
Or am i mistaken for another?
Old 12-03-08, 08:31 AM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
You're probably not missing that much. I looked at the Routan briefly

Consider an extended powertrain warranty on your Town and Country, if you don't have one, or are not satisfied with the length of the warranty you have. The problem is much better now than in the past, but Chrysler/Dodge-designed minivans have a history of transmission problems, often requiring replacement.
Agreed the VW is just about the same thing but I was willing to pay the extra few grand for the better materials and the looks of the routan but I'm ok with it, a deal is a deal. The T&C comes with lifetime powertrain warranty and 3 year 36k bumper to bumper.

Originally Posted by G2low
Is the Chrysler Town and Country the mini van that has the Table in it?
Or am i mistaken for another?
yup, it's the one with the table, although I can't possibly imagine any form of normally sized adult swiveling their chairs around and putting a table on their lap for a game of cards, that swivel system is for kids.
Old 12-03-08, 09:08 AM
LexusFiend
Lead Lap

My parents have a 03 town and country limited w/ 137k miles, it has been a great car and we have not had any major problems with it. (we have had 3 chryslers and 1 ford) The only thing that doesnt work is the dual a/c and heat for the front passengers. They will be selling it soon though to get something more sporty.
Old 12-03-08, 12:21 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Wow, you guys are true American car buyers.

Sporty is right, though the T&C is a nice family car, family vans scream boring. Next on the List should be Infiniti QX or MB GL.
Old 12-03-08, 02:16 PM
djyoshi626
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

My mom has a 98 T&C, can't say much about the new one but the old ones are pretty good.
Old 12-03-08, 03:14 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by G Star
The T&C comes with lifetime powertrain warranty and 3 year 36k bumper to bumper.

You're right. I forgot about that....thanks for reminding me. That's a powerful selling point for Chrysler products.
Old 12-03-08, 07:10 PM
Indio
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We rented an 08 earlier this year for a trip and I was impressed with all the features, usb, double Sirius rear sreens, power rear seat, remote start, I used to own one in the late 90's and they have come a long way.
Old 12-03-08, 10:46 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Congrats on the new rig.

I bought an 08 Odyssey earlier in the year - the loss of 5 cubic feet of cargo volume wasn't an issue for me and I preferred the driving dynamics and styling of the Honda. Just couldn't quite get past the CryCo's parts-bin dashboard and slab-sided styling...
Old 12-04-08, 12:32 AM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SoCalSC4
Congrats on the new rig.

I bought an 08 Odyssey earlier in the year - the loss of 5 cubic feet of cargo volume wasn't an issue for me and I preferred the driving dynamics and styling of the Honda. Just couldn't quite get past the CryCo's parts-bin dashboard and slab-sided styling...
Thanks! The Ody was good too but didn't have the electronic stow n go's that we need if our grandparents visit. That extra 5cubic feet will come in handy when several of us go golfing or the entire family goes on a vacation.

I do admit, I like the cushy Ody leather more than the cheapo hybrid pleather going on in the T&C but the electronic stow n go and space made the decision between the 2. We personally preferred the T&C styling over the Ody. I really wanted the VW Routan though, too bad we didn't even get a chance to look at it.