Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Motors' Brave New World: Only Four Brands Will Survive

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-08, 09:46 AM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default General Motors' Brave New World: Only Four Brands Will Survive

DETROIT — General Motors' core brand portfolio will shrink from eight to four by 2012, according to the ambitious restructuring plan the automaker laid out for lawmakers on Tuesday. The surviving brands would be Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick and GMC.

"Pontiac will be a specialty brand with reduced product offerings within the Buick-Pontiac-GMC channel," said General Motors in a statement. "GM will immediately undertake a global strategic review of the Saab brand. As part of the plan, the company also will accelerate discussions with Saturn retailers, consistent with their unique relationship, to explore alternatives for the Saturn brand."

GM has been shopping its Hummer brand since June.

The automaker said it needs $4 billion in federal loans by the end of December to stay in business. The automaker is requesting term loans of up to $12 billion from the government to "provide adequate liquidity levels through December 31, 2009." It is also requesting a $6 billion line of credit "to provide liquidity should a severe market downturn persist," it said. The automaker said it would begin repaying the loans by 2011.

While insisting it will remain "a full-line manufacturer," GM said it will substantially change its product mix over the next four years and "launch predominantly high-mileage, energy-efficient cars and crossovers."

It said it will invest about $2.9 billion in alternative fuels and advanced propulsion technologies during 2009-12, including plug-in electrics, gasoline-electric hybrids and fuel cells.

GM chairman and CEO Rick Wagoner has also agreed to accept a salary of $1 next year as part of the restructuring. Wagoner received a $1.6 million salary and $12.8 million in other compensation last year.

Inside Line says: If GM survives, it will be a shadow of its former self with a drastically reduced product portfolio. — Anita Lienert, Correspondent
Source: http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=137031

ffpower says: Four brands are not bad but three brands will be better. Ditch the GMC and keep only Chevy, Buick and Caddy.
Old 12-03-08, 09:53 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ffpower
ffpower says: Four brands are not bad but three brands will be better. Ditch the GMC and keep only Chevy, Buick and Caddy.
+1.... and I'd lean out Chevy even more...

" I would love to provide that financial information to you Congressman, but NDAs prevent me from doing so... however, I have no problem providing Financials in the proper forum."

- Rick Waggoner, before Congress, UNDER OATH, on his being unable to disclose financials on a PUBLICLY TRADED COMPANY

Last edited by rdgdawg; 12-03-08 at 01:42 PM.
Old 12-03-08, 09:53 AM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

BUICK??? who the hell drives buick these days, not even Tiger Woods will want to drive that
Old 12-03-08, 10:02 AM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

not the four i was expecting...Pontiac, Caddy, GMC, Chevy makes more sense to me.
Old 12-03-08, 10:02 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

So what exactly did they lose only thing come to mind is Oldsmobile or was that gone already lol. They should definately dump Buick.
Old 12-03-08, 10:05 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 164 Likes on 140 Posts

Buick is quite popular in China if my memory serves me correctly.
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Buick and GMC are worthless. Move Saturn downscale, where is started rather than having it in line with Chevy. Duh!
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Looks like GM wants to keep Buick for its best selling market: China, which will become the number one auto market in the near future.
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

While I think that the creation of a "final four" within a new GM theoretically sounds great, the inclusion of GMC is absolutely mind boggling to me. Keep the segment that has a duplicate of every model in the Chevy lineup, but with more chrome and wood? Oh, that definitely makes sense.

My final choices would be Chevrolet, Cadillac, and Saturn.

Cadillac- Luxury brand

Chevrolet- Mainstream Brand

Saturn- Entry level brand, a la Scion. Bring the company back to its roots of offering cheap, basic transportation.

Between upper level models of Chevy and base Cadillac models, Buick is redundant. A nice Impala or Malibu of the next generation would probably more than satisfy disenfranchised Buick shoppers.

Saab is crap. Hummer is old news. Pontiac, sans the G8, is redundant. Buick is unnecessary as mentioned above. GMC is COMPLETELY unnecessary.

They need to look at what will REALLY help them clean house and become whole again, not the brands that they have nostalgia towards and don't want to see die. This is the SAME senseless, sensationalist business strategy that has gotten them to where they are now. GM needs to go back to basics, period.
Old 12-03-08, 10:11 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 164 Likes on 140 Posts

With Saturn, they are basically tossing in some of the Euro brands that sell well over there. I remember those Euro Chevys sold quite well when I lived in Mexico.
Old 12-03-08, 10:34 AM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

I'd say go Chevy - Mainstream to fight Toyota, Caddy - Performance Luxury to go against the Euros, Buick - Comfort Luxury to fight Lexus and Hyundai and Saturn for basic cheap stuff like said Scion. If I could have a say, keep Pontiac as the specialty line with like the G8 and a new T-Bird/Firebird. a modern T-Top would be kinda cool, no?
Old 12-03-08, 10:46 AM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

did someone just say Buick to fight Lexus? LOL, those 2 words shouldn't be on the same sentence...
Old 12-03-08, 10:55 AM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Coco-bun
not the four i was expecting...Pontiac, Caddy, GMC, Chevy makes more sense to me.

who the hell drives a pontiac

i never see pontiacs on the road.

they're a shiet brand. They can take the G8 and rebadge it as a chevy
Old 12-03-08, 11:16 AM
ren495
Pole Position

Talking

Good ridance to that gas guzzling urban tank birth defect causing pollution factory hummer. my kids will breathe cleaner air now that it won't be around anymore.

all we need to do now is bankrupt the coal industry, the cause of the majority of pollution and we'll be set
Old 12-03-08, 12:33 PM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

I think they should maintain Chevrolet, Cadillac, and Hummer only. One regular brand, one luxury brand, and one truck-specific brand. Buick and Cadillac are sort of redundant. Since both Chevrolet and Cadillac already have their own SUVs and trucks, then GMC is not necessary. Anyhow, simplifing their lineup is a good move.

Quick Reply: General Motors' Brave New World: Only Four Brands Will Survive