Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Production Fisker Karma and more details released (price released)

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-08, 02:35 AM
ren495
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Funny how some guy named Fisker and some Google CEO (Tesla) can make cars that have waiting lists for over a year. While the giant multi billion car manufactures beg for bailouts.

Pathetic. Not so long ago, 2003, GM laughed at Toyota for investing a billion dollars in the hybrdi technology that "noone will ever want", while GM invested a billion in Hummer.

How the GM CEO can look at anyone with a straight face is beyong me. And the Bush administration deserves blame too, Bush ganged up with the Big 3 to kill the Zero Emission Vehicle mandate in California back in '02-'03.

What a bunch of bonafide losers. You chose your buddies in the oil companies over what the publica wants and what the world needs, now you can go F*** yourselves.
Old 12-05-08, 08:12 AM
RX469
Pole Position

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by ren495
Funny how some guy named Fisker and some Google CEO (Tesla) can make cars that have waiting lists for over a year. While the giant multi billion car manufactures beg for bailouts.

Pathetic. Not so long ago, 2003, GM laughed at Toyota for investing a billion dollars in the hybrdi technology that "noone will ever want", while GM invested a billion in Hummer.

How the GM CEO can look at anyone with a straight face is beyong me. And the Bush administration deserves blame too, Bush ganged up with the Big 3 to kill the Zero Emission Vehicle mandate in California back in '02-'03.

What a bunch of bonafide losers. You chose your buddies in the oil companies over what the publica wants and what the world needs, now you can go F*** yourselves.

I have to say, "well said!" ^^
Old 12-05-08, 07:57 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

beautiful car. Why is it that this company usually always just rebodies existing cars and charges double for them. This is the most original I have seen from them, but then again it looks like it could be built on a modern maserati chasis
Old 12-05-08, 09:44 PM
LexFather

Exclamation

Originally Posted by ren495

Claps!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-07-08, 09:22 PM
Bercasio
Pole Position

curious to see what Lexus is going to pull out of the hat with their Hybrid Tech, since Fisker is starting to play this Hybrid roll more agressively!!!...Sounds like to be Fisker is calling for a challenge!!!... but the only difference is Lexus can pump out faster production of any hybrid than Fisker...only time will tell...
Old 12-07-08, 09:27 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Super sexy....but can I get mine with a TT V8 instead
Old 12-08-08, 10:52 AM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

Very impressive. Another super sexy 4 door car under $100,000. Great news.
Old 12-08-08, 06:18 PM
herbvdh
Lexus Test Driver

Did some research on the GM ecotec engine as seen below. The car is nice and all but a GM engine is what bothers me the most. The surprise is this will be a turbo also. If I had the money and did not require All Wheel Drive I would order one now.

http://www.greencarcongress.com/2008...-automoti.html

Fisker Automotive to Use GM Ecotec 2.0L VVT DI Turbo, Other Components in EREV Karma
22 November 2008

The 2009 Ecotec 2.0L VVT DI Turbo. Click to enlarge.
Fisker Automotive, Inc. will use a GM 2.0-liter, direct injection, turbocharged four-cylinder Ecotec engine in the Fisker Karma, its Extended Range Electric Vehicle. (Earlier post.) Fisker will obtain the engines through GM’s on-highway integrator Powertrain Integration LLC. Fisker Automotive says that it is also considering the purchase of several additional GM vehicle components to enhance the Karma.

The 260 hp (194 kW) Ecotec will be used to generate electricity when the series hybrid Karma has exceeded its 50 mile electric-only range.

Given General Motors global leadership in the parts and accessories space, the fact that it is already engineering parts for extended range electric vehicles, and its commitment to helping the environment, it was clear that this was the right partner for us. We are confident that this is the beginning of an important partnership between GM and Fisker Automotive in developing the most desirable fuel efficient vehicles of the future.

—Henrik Fisker, CEO Fisker Automotive
GM has opted to use a 1.4-liter naturally aspirated engine for the genset in the Volt. (Earlier post.)

Initial domestic deliveries of Fisker Automotive’s first car, the Karma, will commence in the 4th quarter of 2009 in North America with planned delivery to Europe in 2010. Fisker Automotive’s annual production is projected to reach 15,000 cars, with more than half of sales expected to be overseas.

The advanced design of this engine offers a superior performance-to-weight ratio that makes it the right choice for the Fisker Hybrid Electric Vehicle. As a leader in the automotive industry in the development of fuel efficient and energy diverse powertrains, GM sees significant opportunity in working with Fisker Automotive, a visionary company developing products that embody both exciting vehicle design as well as technology friendly to our environment.

—Tom Stephens, Executive Vice President of GM Powertrain and Global Quality
GM currently uses the 2.0L Ecotec VVT DI Turbo engine in the Chevrolet HHR SS and Cobalt SS, the Pontiac Solstice GXP and Coupe, and the Saturn SKY Red Line.

Fisker Automotive is a privately owned car company with Henrik Fisker as the CEO. Fisker Coachbuild, LLC will be the exclusive design house for Fisker Automotive through the entire range of product development. The company has backing from Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers and Palo Alto Investors and an affiliate of Qatar Investment Authority.
Old 12-08-08, 09:03 PM
PVlexus
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by muhbuhtuh
that car is nice and everything but 50 miles doesnt sound too appealing to me. unless im reading it wrong
50 miles may not seem like a lot, but that's worth about 2 gallons of a normal car, and a lot of people don't drive over 50 miles everyday, so they could go without burning any gas for quite some time.
Old 12-09-08, 05:36 PM
herbvdh
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by PVlexus
50 miles may not seem like a lot, but that's worth about 2 gallons of a normal car, and a lot of people don't drive over 50 miles everyday, so they could go without burning any gas for quite some time.
Leaves me in good shape as I do about 35 miles a day but what is the drain on the batteries with constant hill climbing approx. 5 miles worth. I probably would have the gas engine running just to keep going up those hills.
Old 09-08-09, 04:19 PM
LexFather

he miles per gallon rating of a vehicle that can get energy from an electrical outlet is a difficult thing to accurately calculate and get the public to accept. Just ask AFS Trinity, with their "150 mpg" SUVs, or GM with its 230 mpg number for the Chevy Volt. Still, it's valuable to have some sort of number to compare vehicles against one another, and Fisker Automotive has released the first such numbers for its Karma plug-in luxury hybrid: 3.5 liters per 100 kilometers (equivalent to 67.2 mpg U.S.) and CO2 emissions of just 83 grams per kilometer.

Full Article

Old 09-08-09, 09:43 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Fabulous; I like it.

How much are these again? ... $88k base, I wonder how expensive they can get.
Old 09-09-09, 12:43 PM
Mbenz528i
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Faymester
Fabulous; I like it.

How much are these again? ... $88k base, I wonder how expensive they can get.
I am with you Fay. I really like the Karma and am seriously interested in the "true cost" of this car. I am not going on the wait list, but I can certainly see this as my next car.
Old 09-09-09, 01:31 PM
PAULGS430
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's OK. I also think the Aston Martin Rapide & Maserati Quatroportte S are better choices. Fisker's are pretty exotic cars. Is that price confirmed?
I don't like that interior either. I would probabaly get something else in that price range. ----> Lexus
Old 09-17-09, 12:07 AM
CLNSC3
Lexus Test Driver

Wow that thing looks incredible!

Quick Reply: Production Fisker Karma and more details released (price released)