Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Production Fisker Karma and more details released (price released)

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-08, 10:07 PM
LexFather

Post Production Fisker Karma and more details released (price released)

The Fisker Karma plug-in hybrid will cost $87,900 and start delivery in November next year

California’s Fisker Automotive has confirmed today that its upcoming Karma plug-in hybrid will be shown for the first time in full production trim at next month’s Detroit Auto Show. With only minor design enhancements made to the exterior of the original concept, the production Karma, seen here for the first time, retains the extreme proportions and sculptured look of the show car.

"We are very excited to be bringing the Fisker Karma back to NAIAS," said Fisker Automotive CEO Henrik Fisker. "In the year since we debuted the Karma, the reception we've received has been tremendous. I'm proud to announce at this time that we are already sold out on the car until mid-2010." With a base price of $87,900, the environmentally friendly luxury saloon is scheduled to begin delivery in November next year.

Featuring a proprietary ‘Q-Drive’ powertrain, the Karma will have an all-electric range of 50 miles (80km). After the all-electric 50 miles, a petrol-powered GM Ecotec engine turns a generator to charge a lithium-ion battery. There is also a roof-mounted solar panel for additional charge capacity. With this balance of electric and petrol driving, Fisker estimates that most Karma drivers who charge the vehicle overnight and commute less than 50 miles per day will be able to achieve an average fuel economy of 100 mpg (2.4L/100km) per year.

Drive comes from two electric motors with a combined output of 408hp (300kW), which is enough to send the vehicle to a top speed of 125mph and push it from 0-60mph in just 5.8 seconds.

The production model will feature a revised upper grill that is slightly larger towards the outer corners. The lower air intake has also been enlarged to allow for more airflow and underneath the rear bumper, an aerodynamic diffuser includes the integration of a cooling cover for the electric drivetrain.

To optimize cooling and aerodynamics, the exhaust pipe from the petrol engine is routed directly out behind the front wheels. A small functional side vent will release the hot air when the engine is turned on. The production Karma also features a complete flush B-pillar.

Underneath the Karma is an all aluminum spaceframe made in cooperation with Norsk Hydro. The exterior body is a combination of aluminum panels and composite panels.

The Karma will be assembled by Valmet in Finland. Yearly volume is anticipated to reach 15,000 cars per year, with half of these expected to be sold in Europe.

Old 12-03-08, 10:23 PM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One of the best, if not the best, looking 4-door coupe.
Old 12-03-08, 10:33 PM
farquad
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

see, it can't possibly be that hard to make a good looking car
i've never heard of fisker before, looks good
Old 12-03-08, 10:33 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Hopefully this venture will go better than the practically stillborn Tramonto and Latigo projects.

Plans were to built 150 of each car. They built about 15 Tramontos and 5 Latigos, so that went well...
Old 12-03-08, 10:37 PM
muhbuhtuh
Lexus Champion

that car is nice and everything but 50 miles doesnt sound too appealing to me. unless im reading it wrong
Old 12-04-08, 12:41 AM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

haha forget all of you guys, this is the perfect opportunity to own the hottest 4 door sports sedan. If everything is right by the time the car is out, I will be down for one!
Old 12-04-08, 02:08 AM
ren495
Pole Position

This is the type of car Lexus should be making.

My next car will probably be the Fisker Karma or the Tesla Model S
Old 12-04-08, 03:20 AM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

fisker baby. i wish i had money to have one of his babies in my stable
Old 12-04-08, 06:03 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by ffpower
One of the best, if not the best, looking 4-door coupe.
Not bad, but the Aston Rapide still looks the best.
Old 12-04-08, 07:07 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 791 Likes on 554 Posts

Originally Posted by ren495
This is the type of car Lexus should be making.

My next car will probably be the Fisker Karma or the Tesla Model S
Better get on the waiting list now then...
Old 12-04-08, 07:11 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

Sounds great and looks awesome!! Hope the build quality is up to par.
Old 12-04-08, 09:53 AM
JHStrange
Lead Lap

Question

I'm at a loss to understand how they can produce it in the time frame and cost they project, "With a base price of $87,900" Think about the prices of other 4 door cars in that range, Lexus, BMW, Mercedes, Cadillac, etc. etc.

Are there federal exemptions, based on low volume, for safety and other regulations that would enable them to design it simplier? Where is it being constructed/assembled? When compared to other mass market cars in that price range, what is it about their business model that enables them to do this?

Is it a case that mass production tooling doesn't reduce the cost but just enables a higher volume?

It's certainly a striking car and will have an impact on thinking about car production.
Old 12-04-08, 12:42 PM
Mbenz528i
Lexus Test Driver

I absolutely love this car. From the moment I saw it, I thought it was the best 4 door car I have ever seen, until the AM Rapide that is. However, for the price and the efficiency of 50miles to the charge before it starts to use gas, I want one and just might put a deposit down for it! (Gotta talk to the wife first though!)
Old 12-04-08, 02:13 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

That's one fine looking vehicle...
Old 12-04-08, 04:21 PM
robloc93
Lexus Test Driver

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

I love how the solar panels look on the roof,heres a better pic:

Quick Reply: Production Fisker Karma and more details released (price released)