Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Which car brands should die? Which should be revived?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-08, 02:49 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Which car brands should die? Which should be revived?

Market demands have changed so quickly in the past couple of years. But how does this short-term economic change affect the future of certain car brands?

What do people want? What do people need? Best gas mileage (or fuel alternatives), multi-functionality, low-cost maintenance, reliability? Will big engines, top speeds, and costly luxury amenities still be profitable in low production numbers?

I can think of a few brands that do not meet these requirements, and I can think of a few brands that can address these requirements.

Which brand (or models) do you think should call it quits?

Are there any brands or models that you would be appropriate in the U.S, either revived or brought into from other countries?

DISCUSS
Old 12-04-08, 03:40 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Get rid of today's Honda/Acura and replace it with Honda/Acura of the past.
Old 12-04-08, 03:47 PM
2002GGPIS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok I have a interesting take, for the record I think buick, GMC and Mercury should die, mainly because they have no young audience. But what really needs to happen is for Ford for example to bring there really nice models and mini cars, like the the proper european ford focus, including the Fous RS with 4wd and a turbo!, and also the pratical and small Ka, and fiesta. Also Ford should bring thier v6 turbo and V8 powered Falcons from austuralia. Apeaking of Australia cars, GM needs to have Holden here with their full lineup, or have them as rebadged pontiacs, like the GTO and G8. Also saturn should have all the cars from opel, they are doing this with the astra with postive results. Also the US should have proper Fiat's and Alfa Romeros, not just the uber expensive 8C. I would mention French cars, but we hate the French, and their cars just will not sell in the U.S., but a Renault Clio V6 would be cool. Lastly Volkswagon needs to sell Seat cars in the U.S., they can be bought in Mexico, and Seats are cool little cars.
Old 12-04-08, 03:52 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Also, I wish the MR-2/Turbo and Supra were revived. Those two cars are some of my favorite, especially the Mr-2. We dont really have any more small japanese roasters, aside from the miata.

BMW should downsize their lineup. We dont need an X1, X3, X5, X6, X234, X3425-R. X5 is sufficient, and maybe X3 also for the niche group.
Old 12-04-08, 04:23 PM
luxury1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Interesting post. I think Hummer, Mercury and Saab should be gone although I like all of these brands in different ways.
Old 12-04-08, 05:15 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by GSteg
Amen brother. Add Toyota to the list. And BMW

Old 12-04-08, 07:21 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
wow...honda haters huh? nothing wrong with this gen of hondas. its all preference anyway.

I say (and call me crazy) oldsmobile needs to come back...you know how many ALERO's i STILL see on the road?!

They needed a different image though. But seriously, with a little effort, Olds could be a moneymaker again!
Old 12-05-08, 06:54 AM
Anthony
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 2002GGPIS3
Ok I have a interesting take, for the record I think buick, GMC and Mercury should die, mainly because they have no young audience.....
Seriously! Make a sports car, better yet make a good looking car lol
Old 12-05-08, 08:21 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne
wow...honda haters huh? nothing wrong with this gen of hondas. its all preference anyway.
Not a Honda hater. We've owned more Hondas in the family than Toyotas. Currently have 2 Honda (this gen) and 2 Toyota products on the driveway right now.

Owning both 90s and 00s Honda, I can say without a doubt that Honda really cared about their cars back then. They were a leader in fuel economy, fun cars for the money, and innovation. Somewhere in the 00s, Honda lost sight of their old philosophy and decided to step down as a leader. Now they're just playing catch-up.

/troof
Old 12-05-08, 11:13 AM
Top Hat
Banned

Saab and pontiac. Die die die die die die........
Old 12-05-08, 11:17 AM
MadMax96
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Easy...

Nuke Mercury - every car in their lineup is a rebadged Ford. Just offer more upscale packages on the Fords to compensate if anything...

Nuke Saturn - all their cars have always been bland and boring. The exception is the Sky, but it's just a rebadged Solstice anyway.
Old 12-05-08, 11:52 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by MadMax96
Nuke Mercury - every car in their lineup is a rebadged Ford. Just offer more upscale packages on the Fords to compensate if anything...
Yes and no.....not quite. Ford has the Focus, which Mercury has no version of, simply because he average Mercury customer is not shopping for asmall cars. Ford also has the Mustang, pickup trucks, and full-size vans that Mercury lacks a version of.

Mercury picks up some of the older, mid-large size car customers that Ford has trouble attracting, like with the Grand Marquis, which, except for taxi/police use, handily outsells the Crown Vic, especially with the general public.

Nuke Saturn - all their cars have always been bland and boring. The exception is the Sky, but it's just a rebadged Solstice anyway.
No. What is needed is for Saturn to dump these steel-bodied Opel designs and bring back the plastic body panels and spin-off transmission filters of the 1990's, which were great features that helped make the company what it was. GM won't allow Saturn to do that, though, because of production costs.
Old 12-05-08, 03:53 PM
flipspeed
Lead Lap

i want to see dusenberg revived, alfa romeo to be sold in the US, and the toyota mr2 revived with a turbocharged 4.
Old 12-05-08, 04:08 PM
herbvdh
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by flipspeed
i want to see dusenberg revived, alfa romeo to be sold in the US, and the toyota mr2 revived with a turbocharged 4.
AAAAAAAAAMENNNNNNN!!!! I like all three lets go for it. The Alfa Romeo Milano Platinum or Silver was very nice.

The Solstice/Skye is nothing but a knock off of a Lotus Elise if I want this style car it would be a Lotus Elise.

Last edited by herbvdh; 12-05-08 at 04:12 PM.
Old 12-05-08, 05:28 PM
darkdream
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bring back toyota's supra!

Quick Reply: Which car brands should die? Which should be revived?