Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Happy Holidays, CL: Special Review: 2009 Audi S5 Quattro

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-08, 07:42 PM
snowday
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mmarshall, you really missed the mark on this one. Your reputation for insightful and accurate reviews just drove off the cliff...
Originally Posted by mmarshall
The rear seat release-levers are not remote or reachable from the rear end and trunk opening....you have to stoop back through the openings behind the front seat and B-pillar and pull them.
How could you miss the remote seatback release levers in the trunk?
(sorry for the crappy photo)
Happy Holidays, Everyone.
Happy Holidays to you too. And thanks (seriously ) for the well written and objective review!
Old 12-04-08, 07:50 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by snowday
mmarshall, you really missed the mark on this one. Your reputation for insightful and accurate reviews just drove off the cliff...
How could you miss the remote seatback release levers in the trunk?
I hunted for them....didn't see any, at least on my test car. They may have been on a particular option package. I asked the Audi people there if they were part of the S5's standard equipment, and they said no.

If they ARE on all S5's, then I'll stand corrected (along with them). I don't mind a fellow CL member (or anyone else) correcting me if I am, in fact, wrong.

One thing I DID forget to mention in the trunk, though, was the nice real chrome-metal tie-down rings, instead of the more usual plastic.

Happy Holidays to you too. And thanks (seriously ) for the well written and objective review!
Thanks. I do a special one every December, in addition to my usual ones, on a nice upmarket car of widespread CL interest.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-04-08 at 08:03 PM.
Old 12-04-08, 07:50 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another excellent review.

I had contacted Audi a year and a half ago to get on the wait list for this car....until the wife pointed out that a coupe wouldn't work if we are going to have kids....lol. I agree with you, it is certainly one of the sexiest cars on the road.
Old 12-04-08, 07:55 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rominl
actually, a loaded s5 will be at 64k. i just built it on audiusa.com. tech package, nav, B&O, parking, cruise

Looks like the dealers in your area, then, are either trying to profiteer off each one (they make money on options as well as on the base car), or that is what local S5 customers are demanding.
Old 12-04-08, 08:00 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
Another excellent review.
Thanks. I may have missed a couple of things, as some other posters have noted. I've been working hard on them the last few days....did three in just the last 5 days. I'm going to take a breather after this one for awhile.

I had contacted Audi a year and a half ago to get on the wait list for this car....until the wife pointed out that a coupe wouldn't work if we are going to have kids....lol. I agree with you, it is certainly one of the sexiest cars on the road.
A coupe will probably work OK with just one baby or small child, although putting the child in and out of the back (or the child seat itself), can get rather tedious.

When you family starts growing in numbers, though, as well as in physical sizes, then, I agree, it may be time to start looking at something more roomy.
Old 12-04-08, 08:01 PM
Jujharoo
Lead Lap

I love these cars. WOW, inside out. Never owned an Audi, but this is so tempting. I am not in the market for a new car at the moment, but that price is very reasonable. I will be looking at it next year. IS F, M3 and an S5 are the cars I would be looking at.

Your reviews are done so thoroughly. Exactly what I want/need to know. Though I must admit that I skim through em sometimes, but I love the details. You can write man.
Old 12-04-08, 08:01 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Regardless of what it was or wasn't offered on, though, I think you'll agree with me, though, that that was a honey of a gearbox....IMO, one of the best transmission designs ever. It is expensive and complex to produce, though.....I suspect VW/Audi is cutting back on its availability to save money.
There is a next generation line of DSG sthat will phase out and fully replace the 6-Speed conventional tiptronic. The new 2011 Chattanooga-built car will feature a standard DSG.

Also, one correction. The A5/S5 line is based on the B8 architecture. The current Passat/Passat CC is based on the B6 platform. They are very different cars.

But great review (hardly suprising ). How did you like the Audi colour display in the middle of the guages? It displays nav directions as well.
Old 12-04-08, 08:06 PM
snowday
Driver School Candidate

One thing I DID forget to mention in the trunk, though, was the nice real chrome-metal tie-down rings, instead of the more usual plastic.
Another thing in the trunk is the battery you couldn't find up front. It's a gigantic battery directly under the spare tire, along with a well-stocked tool kit.
Old 12-04-08, 08:13 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Another thing in the trunk is the battery you couldn't find up front. It's a gigantic battery directly under the spare tire, along with a well-stocked tool kit.
I've reviewed a couple of recent cars with batteries under the spare, but they were usually visible one way or another. It wasn't visible under the spare in this car....but I didn't actually unbolt the spare and pull it up.
Old 12-04-08, 08:15 PM
snowday
Driver School Candidate

Improvements? ....most of all...try and find a way to bring back the superb DSG transmission and hook it to the AWD and this nice powerplant.
A 7-speed DSG box ("S-Tronic") is in the 2010 S5 (Autoweek, Dec 8, 2008 issue).
Old 12-04-08, 08:16 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jujharoo

Your reviews are done so thoroughly. Exactly what I want/need to know. Though I must admit that I skim through em sometimes, but I love the details. You can write man.

Thanks. I've been checking out cars since I was a teen-ager.....some 40 years. I was also a pilot and flew small planes. But I'm not young any more, and some things get past me once in a while. Cars are also a lot more complex today (sometimes TOO complex), especially in the dash electronics.
Old 12-04-08, 08:19 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Yep - Even lowly 2000 Jettas had chrome tie down hooks and first-aid kits in the trunk. My Passat came with a totally Euro- triangle reflector which has a housing in the trunk lining. Love the details
Old 12-04-08, 08:24 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

A 7-speed DSG box ("S-Tronic") is in the 2010 S5 (Autoweek, Dec 8, 2008 issue).
Thanks. In the 2009 models, it is (apparantly) a conventional fluid-filled torque converter Tiptronic, like in the A4. The DSG is basically all-mechanical/computer-operated, with multi-clutches, and has better efficiency than a torque converter. I heard some rumors it would return soon, but nothing concrete. If what you say is correct, that will verify it. Thanks.
Old 12-04-08, 08:31 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by FKL
There is a next generation line of DSG sthat will phase out and fully replace the 6-Speed conventional tiptronic. The new 2011 Chattanooga-built car will feature a standard DSG.
Thanks. snowday has also addressed this issue.

Also, one correction. The A5/S5 line is based on the B8 architecture. The current Passat/Passat CC is based on the B6 platform. They are very different cars.
The bodies are different, but the two basic platforms are similiar.....at least the way I understand it. The Passat and Passat CC are also not the same vehicle.....again, as I understand it.

But great review (hardly suprising ).
Again, Thanks.

How did you like the Audi colour display in the middle of the guages? It displays nav directions as well.
I found the whole NAV/MMI system, like in other Audis and BMW I-Drives, complex and frustrating. The display that you mention was nice-looking, though.
Old 12-04-08, 08:40 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by STIG
Great review MM!
Thanks.

How does it compare to the M3? I know you reviewed it not too long ago.

I was seriously thinking about S5 before the M3. IMHO, it's one of the most sexiest car on the road, and I love the noise it makes. But I am not sure about the performance/price.
I'd buy this car in a second before an M3, although, admittedly, nothing beats a BMW steering system/chassis. M3's, though, come only with RWD, have substantially less torque than the S5's 4.2L V8, and have to be revved to a stratospheric 8000 RPM to get their maximum 414 HP. In addition, the M3 I looked at had several substantial and embarassing factory assembly goofs.

I'm not sure I'd buy an S5 before a BMW 335xi, though....that 3.0L BMW twin-turbo in-line 6 is a honey of an engine, for a lot less $$$$$ than an M3 or S5.

Quick Reply: Happy Holidays, CL: Special Review: 2009 Audi S5 Quattro