Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Happy Holidays, CL: Special Review: 2009 Audi S5 Quattro

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-08, 08:46 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by TripleL
mmarshall,

Thank you for another great review and I wish you a happy and healthy holiday!
Sure. Likewise.

Did you find the feel inside the car wider or more roomy up front then the A4 you drove?

TripleL
It was definitely lower-stance than the typical A4, which meant more bending/stooping/contorting for tall persons getting in and out. A trick I use is to stand 90 degrees out from the drivers' seat (facing left), lower myself into it, then turn 90 degrees back to the front and belt myself in.
Old 12-04-08, 08:58 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Fab review for a fab car.
Thanks, Mike.

Its just overpriced. Its asking money for cars that are a CLEAR performance step above it.

Let alone comparing it to a CTS-V.
Remember, though.....the S5's price includes a V8 and AWD. Many of its competitors, including the CTS-V, can't say that.

The new CTS-V, BTW, was the car I originally planned for the holiday review, but it was just too much of a hassle trying to keep up with which ones coming in were sold, unsold, or available for test-drives. The Caddy dealers also guard them like gold.....I could have probably gootten a test-drive, but it wouldn't have been easy. I also knew that some people here on CL really wanted an S5 review. ......even if I DID miss a couple of things on the review.

Thing is, its a looker inside and out and THAT counts for something. Sad we live in an era when its REFRESHING to get a classy, good looking car and not one that looks like its been in a wreck already.
The original Volvo C70 and Mercedes C-Coupe of the 90's were all dynamite-looking (I'm sure you remember them), as, was, of course, the 94-99 Celica (I owned one) and the Jaguar XK, but you're right. We haven't had much in the way of good-looking coupes lately outside of Jags and Aston-Martins. The S5 is indeed a refreshing look. The Hyundai Tiburon is a good-looking coupe, IMO, but, of course, is in a far lower price bracket than the S5.
Old 12-04-08, 09:15 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Next Planned Reviews:

I'm going to take a break from reviews for a little while.....I've done three or four in just the past week alone....it's been tiring (good thing I'm retired). I need to catch up on other things, including my exercise (walking, treadmill, and indoor swimming).

When I start my next round of reviews, I have requests for the Volvo XC-70, XC-90, Nissan Pathfinder, Toyota Venza, and, when it comes out, the new BMW 7-series.
Old 12-04-08, 09:16 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Thanks. snowday has also addressed this issue.

The bodies are different, but the two basic platforms are similiar.....at least the way I understand it. The Passat and Passat CC are also not the same vehicle.....again, as I understand it.

Well the VW Group injected nearly $1 Billion dollars into crafting the new B8 architecture to underpin a host of Audi products. The B6 platform dates back to 2002, and is in fact used for both the 2005.5-2009 Passt and 2009 Passat CC. There's some debate within the vw/audi community as to whether these cars are "true" B6's given that the chassis is similar to the one that underpins the Jetta/Golf. But make no mistake, the Passat and the CC are very similar, same chassis, same interiors (with subtle differences), vastly, vastly different bodys.
Old 12-04-08, 09:18 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by FKL
Well the VW Group injected nearly $1 Billion dollars into crafting the new B8 architecture to underpin a host of Audi products. The B6 platform dates back to 2002, and is in fact used for both the 2005.5-2009 Passt and 2009 Passat CC. There's some debate within the vw/audi community as to whether these cars are "true" B6's given that the chassis is similar to the one that underpins the Jetta/Golf. But make no mistake, the Passat and the CC are very similar, same chassis, same interiors (with subtle differences), vastly, vastly different bodys.
OK, thanks, FKL.....we'll let the issue stand with that.
Old 12-04-08, 09:38 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Sorry, mmarshall, sometimes I just like to talk to myself
Old 12-05-08, 01:20 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

Thanks.

I'd buy this car in a second before an M3, although, admittedly, nothing beats a BMW steering system/chassis. M3's, though, come only with RWD, have substantially less torque than the S5's 4.2L V8, and have to be revved to a stratospheric 8000 RPM to get their maximum 414 HP. In addition, the M3 I looked at had several substantial and embarassing factory assembly goofs.

I'm not sure I'd buy an S5 before a BMW 335xi, though....that 3.0L BMW twin-turbo in-line 6 is a honey of an engine, for a lot less $$$$$ than an M3 or S5.
Once the new lightweight supercharged V6, 7-speed DSG, new generation Quattro and the electronic sports differential from the 2009 S4(which actively controls the amount of power splitting between the left and right rear wheels) finds its way into the S5, Audi might be able to overtake BMW in the handling stakes.
Old 12-05-08, 05:32 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Haven't even read the review yet, which I know will, as always, be excellent... had to post first... all I can say is.....
THANK YOU
THANK YOU
THANK YOU

Old 12-05-08, 05:48 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

EXCELLENT job as always Mike... already changed my signature!!! Still other choices to be made on the other family cars, but MY next car, without question, will be the S5!! Pure adrenaline and sex, absolute class, modern and a classic all at once....I can't wait for my test drive in the next couple weeks. Quiet Riot on the Bang and Olfsen?

Mike, we are on the same page again in you hit the nail most every time in what I've been reading. I'm sure I speak for many on CL when I say thanks once again for all the reviews, it is GREATLY appreciated and I for one find the info invaluable when evaluating my next purchase.

Will post my impressions once I have my drive... and Merry Christmas!!!!
Old 12-05-08, 05:50 AM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

It was definitely lower-stance than the typical A4, which meant more bending/stooping/contorting for tall persons getting in and out. A trick I use is to stand 90 degrees out from the drivers' seat (facing left), lower myself into it, then turn 90 degrees back to the front and belt myself in.
Slightly off topic but as I read how you got in and out of the car I couldn't help but think of a neighbor's new car when I was growing up in the early 1970's. I think it was a Chevy Monte Carlo (might have been a Pontiac, I can't remember) but what I do remember was the first thing he showed me when he brought the car home was his new bucket seats that swiveled 90 degrees out so he could get in and out of the car exactly as you described!

Thanks for the trip down memory lane. I just had to share.

Back On Topic
Old 12-05-08, 06:13 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TripleL
Slightly off topic but as I read how you got in and out of the car I couldn't help but think of a neighbor's new car when I was growing up in the early 1970's. I think it was a Chevy Monte Carlo (might have been a Pontiac, I can't remember) but what I do remember was the first thing he showed me when he brought the car home was his new bucket seats that swiveled 90 degrees out so he could get in and out of the car exactly as you described!

Thanks for the trip down memory lane. I just had to share.

Back On Topic
No problem. I don't consider it much off-topic. Getting in and out of low-slung cars can be more difficult than higher-stance vehlcles.....and though the difference between the A4 and A5/S5 is not great (it's not like getting in and out of a Corvette or Dodge Viper, or a Lotus Elise, even worse), it is significant.
Old 12-05-08, 06:18 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by natnut
Once the new lightweight supercharged V6, 7-speed DSG, new generation Quattro and the electronic sports differential from the 2009 S4(which actively controls the amount of power splitting between the left and right rear wheels) finds its way into the S5, Audi might be able to overtake BMW in the handling stakes.
Audi, though good, also has a little ways to go (as most manufacturers do) to catch BMW in the steering-feel department. You can steer the average BMW almost blindfolded, by feel alone.
Old 12-05-08, 06:20 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rdgdawg
EXCELLENT job as always Mike... already changed my signature!!! Still other choices to be made on the other family cars, but MY next car, without question, will be the S5!! Pure adrenaline and sex, absolute class, modern and a classic all at once....I can't wait for my test drive in the next couple weeks. Quiet Riot on the Bang and Olfsen?

Mike, we are on the same page again in you hit the nail most every time in what I've been reading. I'm sure I speak for many on CL when I say thanks once again for all the reviews, it is GREATLY appreciated and I for one find the info invaluable when evaluating my next purchase.

Will post my impressions once I have my drive... and Merry Christmas!!!!
Thanks, but I may have missed a couple of features on the S5....other posters noted that. I've been working hard on reviews lately, and sometimes a few things get past me.
Old 12-05-08, 07:20 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
Another excellent review.

I had contacted Audi a year and a half ago to get on the wait list for this car....until the wife pointed out that a coupe wouldn't work if we are going to have kids....lol. I agree with you, it is certainly one of the sexiest cars on the road.
Don't cave in, I have 2 kids under 5... don't cave in... God, I am I glad we got that Sienna...
Old 12-05-08, 07:26 AM
LexFather

Audi should use this review in advertising.

I really hope this car continues to sell and do well.

Quick Reply: Happy Holidays, CL: Special Review: 2009 Audi S5 Quattro