Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

So people will buy a 70k+ Nissan but not a VW?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-08, 12:44 AM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

IMO the main reason the Phaeton failed is it looks like nothing more than a stretch Passat
I love the way it drives, handling was amazing for a car of its size. At the time it was introduced it was the best stereo I had ever heard & I often forgot I was wearing the seat belt. another glaring mistake, the VW emblems are huge, the rear is about 10 inches in diameter. I would have made a small VW decal placed descretly so people would have to search to see what brand of car it is. When I drove a Phaeton I said like the Pontiac Aztec the only way to sell this car is to get people inside it before they see the outside
Old 12-06-08, 12:10 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by G2low
^ saabs are for Lesbos... lol
I agree.......LOL. This is just one of many automotive "images" that you and I both know, in the real world, is nonsense.
Old 12-06-08, 12:13 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Byprodrive
IMO the main reason the Phaeton failed is it looks like nothing more than a stretch Passat
I love the way it drives, handling was amazing for a car of its size. At the time it was introduced it was the best stereo I had ever heard &

Better stereo than the Lexus LS460's Mark Levinson? That unit is INSANE. A couple of the Harmon-Kardons I've heard are not far behind (the Phaeton may have had a Harmon-Kardon unit; I don't remember).
Old 12-06-08, 01:06 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

This was a early production Phaeton in spring 04 I thought the stereo was better than a S600 but I have never listened to a Mark Levinson since I could not find a IS350 equipped with the ML when I bought my 2007.
Old 12-06-08, 01:13 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I agree.......LOL. This is just one of many automotive "images" that you and I both know, in the real world, is nonsense.

Saab is the one vehicle I like to ask people why they bought it. It seems overpriced to me for what you get, very unconventional.
It seems to me that pilots & people that want a car thats different buy Saabs.
Old 12-06-08, 10:58 PM
bad co
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

pilot's make good money drive a bmw or a spyker volvo, rolls royce if you got the money.
bmw-made air planes
spyker -with stupid ^
volvo - makes engine's
rolls royce/bmw - makes engines for boeing if im not mistaked maybe airbus
Old 12-07-08, 06:52 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,516 Likes on 1,655 Posts

Originally Posted by Byprodrive
It seems to me that pilots & people that want a car thats different buy Saabs.
Maybe cuz Saab makes planes too (Viggen).
Old 12-07-08, 07:07 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Maybe cuz Saab makes planes too (Viggen).
Saab also makes short-range, turboprop commuter airliners.
Old 12-07-08, 07:25 PM
shyguy16
Lead Lap

the GT-R has a successful and wildly popular heritage, even if it has never sold one here in the US.

imagine if kia sold a $70k sports car. i highly doubt it would be as highly regarded as the GT_R.

Originally Posted by pvmike1
Heritage has nothing to do with the GT-R's success here in the states.

The difference is the two respective markets each car is catering to - luxury vs. performance car buyers. Branding is important to a luxury car buyer, as the brand's status and perceived cache for the owner of the car is a large consideration to purchase. VW just doesn't have that status. It doesn't help that the whole dealership and service experience isn't up to par for a luxury brand either, so building that status is impossible.

The GT-R, however, is just fast as hell and a performance bargain. People will buy the car DESPITE the Nissan nameplate.
Old 12-07-08, 08:12 PM
8speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by superchan7
Unless VW's dealer network starts acting its part, few will want a $70,000 car from them. VW's well-built and expensive-feeling cars already have a reputation for being just a notch premium over the average cars, but dealer quality and painful reliability problems remain its Achilles' heel to this day.

Funny, given that VW is the #1 automaker in terms of sales in the world.

They must be doing something right
Old 12-07-08, 08:16 PM
kyang91
Lexus Champion

I will take an GT-R over Phaeton any day without any questions........
Old 12-07-08, 08:29 PM
8speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After review of the numerous voided warranties due to blown transmissions and very upset customers spreading bad word-of-mouth through the Web forums, Nissan is officially canceling the controversial launch control feature found on the current-model R35 GT-R.
InsideLine spoke to three Nissan employees at the 2008 LA Auto Show, and the first two confirmed that the removal of launch control was "being considered."
However, the third Nissan member, a high-ranking executive, confirmed this bad news “It’s gone,” he said “We just don’t want to deal with the warranty nightmare anymore. It’ll make the 2009 GT-R really special. It’ll be the only R35 with launch control.”-
Autoguide.com

Oh me too man........just look at the reliability and performance you're getting for 90k

Old 12-08-08, 06:48 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Better stereo than the Lexus LS460's Mark Levinson? That unit is INSANE. A couple of the Harmon-Kardons I've heard are not far behind (the Phaeton may have had a Harmon-Kardon unit; I don't remember).
1,000-watt Dynaudio stereo, 12-channel digital amplifier and 12 speakers.
Old 12-08-08, 07:12 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

After review of the numerous voided warranties due to blown transmissions and very upset customers spreading bad word-of-mouth through the Web forums, Nissan is officially canceling the controversial launch control feature found on the current-model R35 GT-R.
InsideLine spoke to three Nissan employees at the 2008 LA Auto Show, and the first two confirmed that the removal of launch control was "being considered."
However, the third Nissan member, a high-ranking executive, confirmed this bad news “It’s gone,” he said “We just don’t want to deal with the warranty nightmare anymore.
When you put that kind of stress on a drivetrain, sooner or later it is going to bite back.
Abuse of a car pays its consequences.