Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus GS-F is coming

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-08, 12:44 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by drunk_dave
I call b.s on lexus i see new m3's daily (one is parked at this guy's house on my usual route to the gym) i see ferrari's in uptown Park Ridge all the time but the IS-F I see once in a blue moon
i see a lot of m3 coupe, but sedan, i have only seen one
Old 12-06-08, 02:15 AM
f=ma
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ffpower
IS F outsold the M3 and C63?

Really?
Originally Posted by drunk_dave
I call b.s on lexus i see new m3's daily (one is parked at this guy's house on my usual route to the gym) i see ferrari's in uptown Park Ridge all the time but the IS-F I see once in a blue moon
"...IS F: foe example last month the IS F outsold the Mercedes-Benz C63 and Bmw M3 Sedan."

RX F?
Old 12-06-08, 02:17 AM
f=ma
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by yayitscola
Yeah, I don't believe it either. I see a lot of brand new M3'S and C63'S in norcal...only seen 1 IS-F on street and another at a meet lol
i know at least 5 owners on the board in south bay.
Old 12-06-08, 02:17 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Lets me clear the GS met and exceeded sales targets its first 2 years and sold well until this year. We can all agree its not a grand slam like the last gen was.
1. Increased competition
2. While every other car in this class got bigger, the GS stayed the same size
3. Average marketing
4. Minimal lease deals
5. The ES/IS got better and stole some GS buyers.
6. V-8 GS isn't the powerhouse compared to the last model. The GS 350's engine is nearly perfect.
I think main problem with GS is bad utilization of space - both trunk and back seats.
Everything else, car got it covered, and I am really happy after 1 year with it...

I hope Lexus goes radical with interior space - new RX seems to have gone a bit that way, and does not accept "class standards" for premium RWD sedans...

As to the IS-F feeling like Toyota, which Toyota is that? Let me know, since I drive them all :-). Even german mags, loved IS-F, and they dont love any Lexus.
Old 12-06-08, 02:44 AM
djyoshi626
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have not even seen an IS-F on the streets of SoCal yet ... I can't believe what the article is saying that it outsold the latter, especially since I just saw like ... 6 M3's today ... within 10 minutes of each other, and no they weren't together. I want to see an IS-F Maybe F owners like to keep to themselves
Old 12-06-08, 03:05 AM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by djyoshi626
I have not even seen an IS-F on the streets of SoCal yet ... I can't believe what the article is saying that it outsold the latter, especially since I just saw like ... 6 M3's today ... within 10 minutes of each other, and no they weren't together. I want to see an IS-F Maybe F owners like to keep to themselves
Maybe they're just going to fast when they go by you...you blinked and missed them....lol.

But I hear you guys....although I've seen more GT-R's locally (about 6?) than M3's (2)....and so far no other IS F's???
Old 12-06-08, 03:54 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

What the ISF,GSF,LSF needs are adjustable suspension the fly just like the new CTS-V.

It's a crime when a Lexus rides worse than a BMW. When I want to be hardcore,a high performance Lexus needs to be able to hang with an M3. When I want to be coddled, it should do it better than any other rival in its segment--like Lexus has always been famous for.
Old 12-06-08, 04:17 AM
jruhi4
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by f=ma
"...IS F: foe example last month the IS F outsold the Mercedes-Benz C63 and Bmw M3 Sedan."
It also happened the first couple of months that the IS F was on sale (although, at that time, the C63 Mercedes wasn't out yet, and it was the BMW M3 sedan and the Audi RS4 that the IS F outsold).

Admittedly, I can't vouch for the months in between.
Old 12-06-08, 05:10 AM
LexFather

I still have yet to see a new M3 here in Atlanta driving around. Very odd. I've seen plenty of IS-Fs and C63s though. I do know BMW plans to sell over 100,000 M3s this go round. That is A LOT of cars.

Old 12-06-08, 06:51 AM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

2. While every other car in this class got bigger, the GS stayed the same size
Originally Posted by spwolf
I think main problem with GS is bad utilization of space - both trunk and back seats.
I agree. Having looked at a 3GS coming from a 2GS the car may have been the sames size on the outside but on the interior it was noticeably smaller or lacking usable space.
5. The ES/IS got better and stole some GS buyers.
6. V-8 GS isn't the powerhouse compared to the last model. The GS 350's engine is nearly perfect.
The new IS was a much better car than the old IS and definitely stole buyers especially as it wasn't that much smaller inside. Cheaper, AWD, decent style and room. IS hurt the GS.

The engine strategy for the GS launch with the I6 and the 3UZ carryover was a terrible decision by Lexus. If they had launched with just the GS350 I think there would have been lot more early positive press.

Speaking of which, WTF is up with car manufacturers that put a new car on sale with an old POS engine with a great new engine for model year #2. Why would I want to be an early adopter? Think 3GS, Lincoln MKS (Ecoboost coming), Taurus with the 3.0L V6 instead of the 3.5, BMW 330 then 335, etc...
Old 12-06-08, 07:36 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You guys obviously have the right to disagree that the ISF outsold its competitors last month, and it is really hard to determine that based on how the sales data is compiled.

That said, let's get real on how we are forming these opinions. "How many I have seen in my area" is hardly scientific and is perhaps the most inaccurate metric you could use. I have seen more ISFs than I have Corolla XRSs so I guess the IS is outselling the Corolla. I have also seen more LS600hLs than new Maximas so I guess the LS hybrid is outselling the Maxima too.

Old 12-06-08, 07:55 AM
jruhi4
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
You guys obviously have the right to disagree that the ISF outsold its competitors last month, and it is really hard to determine that based on how the sales data is compiled.
Quite the contrary. There is consensus that the IS F outsold its competitors last month, and an e-mail I got from Justin Hood, the IS F Launch Manager, confirms the early sales trend. The unanswered question is how the IS F sold versus its competitors in the time in between.

That said, let's get real on how we are forming these opinions. "How many I have seen in my area" is hardly scientific and is perhaps the most inaccurate metric you could use. I have seen more ISFs than I have Corolla XRSs so I guess the IS is outselling the Corolla. I have also seen more LS600hLs than new Maximas so I guess the LS hybrid is outselling the Maxima too.

Agreed.
Old 12-06-08, 08:15 AM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree!
Old 12-06-08, 09:08 AM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ren495
I'm assuming 500+ means 600 horses, because thats what it will need by the time it comes out to compete with the RS6, M5, Eclass AMG.

And a LS-F in many ways does make sense too. If people buy these cars (like Lexus is claiming with the IS-F) more cars with the V10 engine would only lower the cost of producing that engine. It could lower the price of the LF-A dramatically if they ever decide to make it (its baffling to me why they would make such a great looking sport car and not want to sell it)

WOW!!!!!!! Spoken like a VETERAN and not a rookie!

And yes it will need closer to 600hp by the time it comes out.... OR... As with the mighty GT-R... It will need to make absolutely the best use of it's 500hp.
Old 12-06-08, 09:11 AM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

I still have yet to see a new M3 here in Atlanta driving around. Very odd. I've seen plenty of IS-Fs and C63s though. I do know BMW plans to sell over 100,000 M3s this go round. That is A LOT of cars.

Well I can't speak for the ATL.... But... There are PLENTY rolling around Big D! 2 of which are in close proximity to me as I see them at grocery store, 7/11, etc. Badass car no doubt.

Quick Reply: Lexus GS-F is coming