Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Would you buy a "first model year" model of a vehicle?
Yes, I value having the first one and I will put up with whatever teething problems there are.
34.00%
No, I will wait until at least the second model year to get lower prices and some of the bugs fixed.
66.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Would you buy a car in the first model year?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-08, 01:36 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would you buy a car in the first model year?

We are really getting to the point where there are a lot of model intros coming up. The old saw used to be that there two model years to buy. The first year out so you would be driving something that no one else has and can pump your ego and the last because then everything will be fixed. Have to think about Lexus but I for one, wouldn't touch many brands in the first year a new model is out. This doesn't refer to mid cycle freshens but the all new models.

So there is the poll. Either you would buy a first model year or you would wait. I expect we will get into individual makes and models as this goes on. And the amount of the new content in a new model, like all new transmissions which aren't having very good times lately, may enter into it. If you are a first model year buyer, do you expect more problems with your ego booster? And if you are a Lexus fanboy, does model year of a Lexus mean nothing to you in the purchase decision?
Old 12-05-08, 01:46 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i try very hard not to, even on lexus
Old 12-05-08, 01:55 PM
Mister T
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Reliability is more important to me than ego boosting.
Old 12-05-08, 02:02 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

I tried to leave it somewhat unbiased but I also am not that interested in first model year cars, even Lexus. But when you get to someone like Bimmer, even bimmer fanboys will often admit to not wanting anything to do with a first model year car.
Old 12-05-08, 02:12 PM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

My family has bought two first model year car before, a 01 Acura 3.2CL coupe and a 04 Lexus RX330.
Old 12-05-08, 02:17 PM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did and probably won't do it again.
Old 12-05-08, 02:20 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 218 Likes on 146 Posts

The last 3 new cars I bought are all second-model-year cars, including those two in my sig.
Yes, I would rather wait for at least the second model year even for a Lexus.
Old 12-05-08, 02:21 PM
darkdream
Lexus Champion

For almost any car company I would not get the first year model... I am not the type that must get the newest thing first... I prefer a better product and waiting if that is what it takes.
Old 12-05-08, 02:42 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

My parents bought a 99TL first year model and it never gave them one problem or had one issue in 10 years, my 01 GS which had been out for a few years and was only updated with a larger engine and a few other bits has had many more issues in just 4 years of ownership so those experiences tell me it is not automatically to wait in every circumstance. I have worked at an auto assembly plant off and on when I was younger and usually first year models even though there are more engineering bugs to sort out often receive the most quality control attention and care because they don't want the car to get a reputation for poor quality and want the high first year sales numbers based on a good reputation. First year model cars are often inspected for quality much more then older models that they have been building for a few years and don't depend as much as first impression/review sales. Once a model has been made for a couple years, many or most bugs may be worked out but it often does not receive the kind of quality control and attention as the first model year so build quality may not be as high where reliability may be a little higher if bugs were properly addressed.

For me I don't think I would have too much of a problem getting a first year car but I certainly am not the type that need to have and brags about getting the first of something and if I can save money I would rather wait a couple years. It is hit and miss with reliability often times when buying model years. I doubt Mercedes, Audi's, Ferraris, or BMWs get very reliable after the first model year, they are pretty much known for being pretty unreliable no matter what year you buy them but still first year is most likely the worst, I have come generally not to expect a German(aside from maybe 911s) British or Italian cars to be reliable no matter what year you buy them based on experience, reviews, and ratings.

Last edited by UDel; 12-05-08 at 02:49 PM.
Old 12-05-08, 02:51 PM
primecut
Lexus Test Driver

I did buy a 1st year model, but I would only do it for certain car companies. I would never ever buy a 1st year German car, because of reliability.
Old 12-05-08, 02:52 PM
pisaykotik
Lexus Champion

Nope. I only buy second model year or later.
Old 12-05-08, 03:17 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Image, here, is lagging reality a little. For years, first-year models, especially those of domestic nameplates, were indeed risky buys (the original Saturn S-series and Ford Fusion/Mercury Milan/Lincoln Zephyr triplets were notable exceptions....they were reliable from Day One). Often, though, unreliability continued through several years, or even the entire production run.

While that is not entirely gone, the risk of buying a first-year model, especially from Asian manufacturers, is MUCH less now than in the past. This is because of several reasons, including advanced computer designs that can spot potential defects before they get into production.

That, of course, does not mean that manufacturers, even Asian ones, always get it right the first time. The Nissan 350Z was a good example (partly due to cost-cutting in its design), with numerous design defects involving alignment, tires, manual-transmission synchros, and flimsy interior parts that tended to break. And sometimes, defects show up AFTER the first-year models......Chrysler/Dodge minivans and the Acura TL, with noted transmission problems that lasted years, are examples.

And just because a first-year vehicle is unreliable does not mean that later models will be reliable either............the constant stream of lemons, year after year, that came out of the Mitsubishi/Chrysler Diamond-Star plant in Normal, IL and the Nissan/Infiniti plant at Canton, MS proved that.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-05-08 at 03:24 PM.
Old 12-05-08, 04:35 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Lol...I didn`t even know that our `04 RX was a first model year until the other poster mentioned it. No problems whatsoever with it for us.

Ron, I selected yes, but disagree with the reason you discussed. It had nothing to do with ego and having the first one. I did lots of research and thought that it was a strong competitor in the super sedan market.

I was extremely concerned with potential issues (knock on wood) with this being a first year model. I witnessed first hand the problems with the first generation X5. My father`s was in the shop 20 times in the first 18 months. (No lemon law up here...it did take a threatened lawsuit with BMW Canada to resolve )

I studied religiously here (this forum is a great resource ) and sought info from dealers as to potential first year issues. At the end of the day, I somewhat rolled the dice, hoping that Lexus did their homework. To this point it appears that they did, as I am unaware of any ongoing problems with our car.
Old 12-05-08, 04:46 PM
herbvdh
Lexus Test Driver

First Year models I have had several of them 1981 Toyota Corona 1987 Camry 1992 Camry 2006 RX400h 2006 GS300 AWD No problems or issues at all with these cars. Would do it again from Toyota/Lexus
I test drove the first Acura Legend out transmission locked up in first gear tried to force it to shift by hard acceleration etc. salesman said turn around and go back. He would not talk to me anymore.
My biggest dumb car purchase was a First and only style 1974 Chevrolet Nova new body new engine etc. What a troublesome nightmare in 7500 miles replaced plugs,points and condenser two or three times. Other troubles:
1) Brakes dry day 50 MPH took 1,500 foot to stop.
2) Brakes damp or humid day instant lock up and skidding.
3) Front suspension collapsed at 35 MPH along with partial brake failure.
4) Blower motor failure.
5) Emissions recall. never got a notice GM denied it.
6) NHTSA complaint resulted in brake recall after I wrecked due to 1,2, and
7) All weight in front high wind gust picked up rear and dropped in adjacent
lane pointing to drive off a bridge.
8) 250 cube inch 6 with P/S and A/T 12 Miles a gallon city/highway
9) First seat belt computer interlock. No belt on car don't start. Always
under the hood pushing the over ride relay.
This was only built one year.

Last edited by herbvdh; 12-05-08 at 04:52 PM.
Old 12-05-08, 04:55 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
Lol...I didn`t even know that our `04 RX was a first model year until the other poster mentioned it. No problems whatsoever with it for us.

Ron, I selected yes, but disagree with the reason you discussed. It had nothing to do with ego and having the first one. I did lots of research and thought that it was a strong competitor in the super sedan market.

I was extremely concerned with potential issues (knock on wood) with this being a first year model. I witnessed first hand the problems with the first generation X5. My father`s was in the shop 20 times in the first 18 months. (No lemon law up here...it did take a threatened lawsuit with BMW Canada to resolve )

I studied religiously here (this forum is a great resource ) and sought info from dealers as to potential first year issues. At the end of the day, I somewhat rolled the dice, hoping that Lexus did their homework. To this point it appears that they did, as I am unaware of any ongoing problems with our car.
Of course somebody buying a first model year would not like the comment about the ego thing. And there are certainly people who buy first model years who haven't any idea they actually are buying a first model year, like the 04 RX. But I put it in that way because the few people I have seen who really only want to buy a first model year car has nothing to do with simple timing or coincidence. They really want to be the first one seen driving the new model around.

While auto reliability has been on the upswing, I was really trying to get out those who consciously decide they either want that new model year or want to wait. It also isn't particularly relevant to say that new model year cars can be reliable so there is little reason to stay away from them. I find, more often than not, that there are always teething problems. Sometimes they get fixed, sometimes they don't, and sometimes new ones spring up for whatever reason. But there is also an economic reason. Buying new cars is not the best financial decision due to that first year depreciation but with a new model year you are often faced wtih little or no discount from MSRP.

The dealers were forced to heavily discount the previous gen to get rid of it and want to charge a premium to those who are specifically for that new model year vehicle. I don't feel like paying a premium for what is often performing the final vehicle development by buying a first model year car. Of course someone will post that they got $20K of a GT-R just last week but inevitably the types of cars that those who are here are looking at will be tough to get below MSRP in that first model year. Heck, many of them are in the premium over MSRP range just because they are the new model. Not for me.

But I was just curious to see what other people are looking at when they see a new model year vehicle coming out. The new 7 is on my short list but there isn't any way I would touch the first model year. Problem is complicated as the word is that there will quickly be a transmission switch (more gears than the one that will be in it at introduction) and I don't feel like getting the first one of those either.

Quick Reply: Would you buy a car in the first model year?