Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Consumer Reports: Automotive Turkeys (a week late from Thanksgiving lol)

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-08, 04:35 PM
geko29
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 309 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
5. (I know I'll get some flak for this one, as some will disagree), but stability systems that can be turned off. They will be a Federal safety mandate in all new cars in another year or two, and for good reason......why defeat a system that is a proven life-saver? I can think of little reason to turn them off except for drifting, tail-out cornering, or powersliding...all of which is foolish and possibly dangerous on public roads. An exception (maybe) could be made for those who run their cars on a track.....but with a signed statement (like with disconnected air bags) that they forgo warranty, insurance, and liability. The auto enthisiast magazines might not like it, but, tough, the world doesn't revolve around them.
I'll fight you on that one to the ends of the earth. I have been nearly killed at least 5 times in the last 8 years when I've forgotten to turn it off (which is normally the FIRST thing I do when I start the car). Nothing like starting to make a left turn, having one tire slip a half an inch, and the engine more or less shutting off for 3 seconds. Makes you feel real safe when there's a truck barreling towards you at 55mph.

If I ever own a car in which the stability program isn't defeatable, I'm pulling the f***ing fuse on it. I don't care if it takes the ABS with it. I will NEVER let a car decide that it's my day to die.
Old 12-07-08, 05:58 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
I'll fight you on that one to the ends of the earth. I have been nearly killed at least 5 times in the last 8 years when I've forgotten to turn it off (which is normally the FIRST thing I do when I start the car). Nothing like starting to make a left turn, having one tire slip a half an inch, and the engine more or less shutting off for 3 seconds. Makes you feel real safe when there's a truck barreling towards you at 55mph.

If I ever own a car in which the stability program isn't defeatable, I'm pulling the f***ing fuse on it. I don't care if it takes the ABS with it. I will NEVER let a car decide that it's my day to die.

No need for combat here, friend.

Apples and oranges, my friend. What you describe is a traction control function, not a stability system. They control two different functions two different ways, although they sometimes use the same hardware and sensors.

I actually agree with what you say, but it doesn't tie in with what I was saying in an earlier post. I was referring to shutting down a system in reference to drifting, powerslides, and excessive tail-out cornering at high speeds, which are as dangerous, on a public road, as the situation you faced.

I fully agree with you that a case can be made for disabling T/C....for the exact reasons that you describe. But those reasons were not what I was describing with stability systems and overly-aggressive driving just to show off.
Old 12-08-08, 03:48 AM
geko29
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 309 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Apples and oranges, my friend. What you describe is a traction control function, not a stability system. They control two different functions two different ways, although they sometimes use the same hardware and sensors.
However, on most cars, they're one and the same. On my BMW, ESP and TC are combined in the DSC function, and disabled together via a single button. In VW's, it's called ASR. Lexus calls it VSC. Regardless of the name, I've yet to see a vehicle with a separate traction control disable that does not also disable the ESP. Until I do, I consider them synonymous.
Old 12-08-08, 05:44 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
However, on most cars, they're one and the same. On my BMW, ESP and TC are combined in the DSC function, and disabled together via a single button. In VW's, it's called ASR. Lexus calls it VSC. Regardless of the name, I've yet to see a vehicle with a separate traction control disable that does not also disable the ESP. Until I do, I consider them synonymous.
Well, that's the point I was trying to make. The VSC, IMO, should be permanent...with no switch. The T/C should be switched on-off according to conditions. But, as you note, few if any vehicles are set up this way.

Th alternative, with the VSC switched off, is too many people doing drifting, dounts, tail-out stuff and powerslides on public roads and dry pavement.
VSC can also save your butt in the opposite conditions.....understeer. On a two-lane curve, it can tighten up a turn radius for you when your front end wants to plow straight ahead.....into the opposite lane and oncoming traffic. That can be a problem with softly-sprung or heavy, FWD cars.
Old 12-08-08, 09:19 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,506 Likes on 1,647 Posts

On my Miata you can disable DSC or DSC+TC. You can't disable TC and not DSC.
Old 12-08-08, 09:40 AM
rogers2
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Here is a funny story Guys. Last night my son and I were looking at cars on the internet.

Ferrari website: He had the giggles look at that website. I told him one day maybe his dad can get one.

I took him to the Mercedes website.
He loves the SLR and SL. For fun, I told him to build himself one. I was inches away from purchasing a SL just one month ago.

2nd website: Audi
We took a looked at the Audi R8, man both our face light up. That car is beautiful.

3rd we went to the BMW website. He said the M6 looks ok.

Last and finally he said lets go to the Acura website, I guess he thought an NSX would be on there since I used to own one.

The first thing that comes out his mouth is dad I see why nobody buys Acura cars anymore they are so ugly. Man I could not stop laughing.
Old 12-08-08, 10:01 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by rogers2
Here is a funny story Guys. Last night my son and I were looking at cars on the internet.

Ferrari website: He had the giggles look at that website. I told him one day maybe his dad can get one.

I took him to the Mercedes website.
He loves the SLR and SL. For fun, I told him to build himself one. I was inches away from purchasing a SL just one month ago.

2nd website: Audi
We took a looked at the Audi R8, man both our face light up. That car is beautiful.

3rd we went to the BMW website. He said the M6 looks ok.

Last and finally he said lets go to the Acura website, I guess he thought an NSX would be on there since I used to own one.

The first thing that comes out his mouth is dad I see why nobody buys Acura cars anymore they are so ugly. Man I could not stop laughing.
Your son has a BRIGHT FUTURE ahead of him!