Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Ward's Top 10 Best Engine for 2009

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-08, 07:59 AM
LexFather

Arrow Ward's Top 10 Best Engine for 2009

Ward’s Announces 2009 10 Best Engines Winners
By Ward’s Staff

WardsAuto.com, Dec 5, 2008 12:54 PM

SOUTHFIELD, MI – Amid plummeting vehicle sales, thousands of job losses, an economy officially in recession and pleas for federal assistance, a handful of auto makers have cause to celebrate.

Ward’s Automotive Group announces its 2009 10 Best Engines list, which reflects the diversity of powertrains that will play a role in reshaping America’s automotive landscape.

ADVERTISEMENT

Selected by Ward’s editors, the 2009 list marks the 15th year for the Ward’s 10 Best Engines program, the North American auto industry’s only awards honoring powertrain excellence and considered by many to be the “Oscars” for automotive engines.

The winners for 2008 (engine and tested vehicle):

* Audi AG: 2.0L TFSI turbocharged DOHC I-4 (A4 Avant)
* BMW AG: 3.0L turbocharged DOHC I-6 (135i Coupe)
* BMW AG: 3.0L DOHC I-6 Turbodiesel (335d)
* Chrysler LLC: 5.7L Hemi OHV V-8 (Dodge Ram/Challenger R/T)
* Ford Motor Co.: 2.5L DOHC I-4 HEV (Escape Hybrid)
* General Motors Corp.: 3.6L DOHC V-6 (Cadillac CTS)
* Honda Motor Co. Ltd.: 3.5L SOHC V-6 (Accord Coupe)
* Hyundai Motor Co. Ltd.: 4.6L DOHC V-8 (Genesis)
* Toyota Motor Corp.: 3.5L DOHC V-6 (Lexus IS 350)
* Volkswagen AG: 2.0L SOHC I-4 Turbodiesel (Jetta TDI)

Awards to be presented during Detroit auto show in January.

“A decade ago, few consumers in the U.S. paid serious attention to hybrids or diesels. This year, they have to, if they don’t want to be pinched the next time fuel hits $4 a gallon,” says Tom Murphy, executive editor of Ward’s AutoWorld magazine.”The diesels from VW and BMW and the Ford Escape Hybrid all got better than 30 mpg (7.8 L/100 km) during our testing, and often they topped 40 mpg (5.8 L/100 km),” he says. “And the diesels meet the strictest emissions regulations in the world. If Americans want to find a vehicle that consumes less fuel and is fun to drive, our list is a great place to start.”

Among the winners is Ford Motor Co.’s redesigned 2.5L 4-cyl. hybrid-electric powertrain, which motivated President and CEO Alan Mulally’s Escape Hybrid cross/utility vehicle to and from Washington D.C. for federal-aid talks, makes the cut.

During Ward’s testing, the front-wheel-drive HEV managed to easily surpass the federal fuel-economy rating of 34/31 city/highway mpg (6.9-7.5 L/100 km).

BMW AG’s new 3.0L inline 6-cyl. turbodiesel scores a slot on the list in its first year available in the U.S. Joined by the auto maker’s twin-turbocharged and direct-injected gasoline I-6 engine, which returns for the third year, the diesel employs a sequential twin-turbocharger system that provides the 335d sedan with impressive fuel economy and a stunning 425 lb.-ft. (576 Nm) of torque.

Volkswagen AG joins the clean-diesel party this year, as well, with its new 2.0L 4-cyl. turbodiesel powering the Jetta TDI sedan. Fun to drive and frugal at the pump, the TDI is an affordable and entertaining alternative to many larger gasoline and hybrid-electric powertrains.

Hyundai Motor Co. Ltd. appears for the first time on Ward’s 10 Best Engines list with its all-new Tau 4.6L DOHC V-8. Introduced in the new Genesis luxury sedan, the engine’s velvety power delivery, competitive performance and attainable price epitomize the Korean auto maker’s drive for world-class engineering.

Chrysler LLC’s venerable 5.7L Hemi V-8 returns to the rankings with added refinement, power and variable-valvetrain and induction technology. Its guttural roar and low-end grunt serves double duty this year in the all-new Dodge Challenger R/T and Ram pickup.

Toyota Motor Corp. scores its fourth consecutive 10 Best Engines win with its Lexus 3.5L DOHC V-6, a brilliant design that employs a unique, combination direct- and port-injection fueling system that helps generate 306 hp and 277 lb.-ft. (376 Nm) of torque.

General Motors Corp. and Honda Motor Co. Ltd. also make return appearances with their high-volume V-6 engines exemplifying practicality balanced with precision engineering.

GM’s high-feature 3.6L V-6 with direct-gasoline injection returns for the second time. Tested in the Cadillac CTS, yet flexible enough to proliferate through the auto maker’s CUVs, the advanced V-6 makes a hardy 304 hp on regular gasoline.

Honda underscores its longstanding reputation for great engines with the encore performance of its 3.5L SOHC V-6 in the Accord lineup. Merging exceptional performance with reasonable fuel economy, the engine employs advanced cylinder deactivation in the sedan and engaging power delivery in the coupe.

Audi AG’s 2.0L TFSI turbocharged 4-cyl., freshly revamped with 211 hp and a mighty 258 lb.-ft. (350 Nm) of torque for the all-new A4, rounds out the list with a fourth-consecutive 10 Best Engines placing as one of the best all-around turbo-4s on the market.

This year, six Ward’s editors nominated 32 different engines for the Ward’s 10 Best Engines competition. The nominee list consists of the 2008 winners as well as all-new or significantly improved engines.

Over a nearly 2-month period, the editors evaluated and scored each engine against all others in a number of objective and subjective parameters. Each engine must be available in a regular-production U.S.-specification model on sale no later than first-quarter 2009, in a vehicle priced no more than $54,000, a price cap indexed to the average cost of a new vehicle.

The awards will be given at a Jan. 14 ceremony in Detroit during the North American International Auto Show.

Complete stories about the 10 Best Engines will be featured soon on WardsAuto.com and in upcoming issues of Ward’s AutoWorld magazine and Ward’s Engine & Vehicle Technology Update newsletter.

Ward's 10 Best Engines is a copyright of Penton Media Inc. Commercial references to the program and/or awards are prohibited without prior permission of Ward's Automotive Group.

http://wardsauto.com/home/best_engines_2009_081205

Old 12-06-08, 08:00 AM
LexFather

I don't understand a couple things.
1. How on earth is the Honda and GM 3.5/3.6 better than the Nissan VQ?
2. While the Genesis 4.6 is tremendous from that company, how is it substantially better than the Lexus 4.6?

Old 12-06-08, 09:15 AM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where is Nissan's VQ
Old 12-06-08, 09:33 AM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Two things:

- Kudos to the 2GR-FSE for making the list 4 years in a row. IMO this engine has replaced the VQ as the benchmark of mainstream V6s.

- Is this the first year since like god knows when that the VQ didn't make the list?
Old 12-06-08, 11:42 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Like others have said...pretty shocking that the VQ has dropped off the list for the first time in a long time. Forever it seems. That considered, I don't think that Nissan/Infiniti have put as much R&D into revamping it when considering the Lexus 3.5L V6 and even those from Caddy and Honda. Still a good engine, but no longer the best as this list clearly shows.

I wonder if they tested the 3.7L for this though. While it's a good engine, I am still not sure that it's better than the GR.

Like Mike said...I really disagree with the inclusion of Hyundai's 4.6L Tau V8. I drove it and felt that for it's rating, the engine was somewhat anemic. A few tests have also found similar results, so I really don't understand how this was chosen over the UR V8, or BMW's 8cyl. I would even take one of GMs 8 cylinders over the Hyundai engine. I think that it is average at best.

P.S. I predict that we will see the RX450h on this list next year.

Last edited by MPLexus301; 12-06-08 at 11:51 AM.
Old 12-06-08, 11:45 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I don't understand a couple things.
1. How on earth is the Honda and GM 3.5/3.6 better than the Nissan VQ?
2. While the Genesis 4.6 is tremendous from that company, how is it substantially better than the Lexus 4.6?
1) I was wondering the same thing.
2) Kudos 2GR!!!!!
Old 12-06-08, 11:58 AM
bkr300
Lead Lap

no lsx
Old 12-06-08, 12:00 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

While reliability is probably not a factor in the rating, it bears mentioing that, according to Consumer Reports, the GM 3.6 has been unreliable........much more so than their 3.5 (which, unfortunately, has been discontinued in the Saturn Aura).

I definitely agree with the comments that the Nissan/Infiniti VQ should be on the list. I myself like it more than the Lexus 3.5, though there is no denying the Lexus 3.5's silky operation.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-06-08 at 12:04 PM.
Old 12-06-08, 01:14 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

where's the VQ?
Old 12-06-08, 01:39 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

I wonder if Ward's factors in fuel efficiency, hence the omission of the VQ vs. the other V6's?
Old 12-06-08, 03:49 PM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

and from what I've read over regarding reviews, the VQ is lacking in smoothness over similar engines from the competition...
Old 12-06-08, 05:23 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
While reliability is probably not a factor in the rating....
If it isn't, and I assume it doesn't, then I have no respect for this 10 best list as reliability, imo, is the most important quality an engine can have.
Old 12-06-08, 10:15 PM
bad co
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by whoster
and from what I've read over regarding reviews, the VQ is lacking in smoothness over similar engines from the competition...
yup that's it i hear that they get nasty at redline
Old 12-07-08, 01:27 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

nissan VQ should be on the list. They were even talking about it at the LA car show a few weeks ago. Is this list complete. Cool to know the motor in my GS350 is top notch
Old 12-07-08, 03:23 PM
LRP_LS400
Pole Position

Honda Accord Coupe V6 with Automatic VCM =
The VCM (Variable Cylinder Management); great for better gas mileage horrible for performance.

Quick Reply: Ward's Top 10 Best Engine for 2009