Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Audi Design: Coming Back Around

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-08, 05:49 PM
luxury1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Audi Design: Coming Back Around

I used to like Audi design but for the past ten years I was just not digging it. Too round and boring. And then the BIG nose came

However, I was just on their site today and the new cars have a much better appearance (even with the nose). I think that they look much sportier and I will actually consider one in the future when I am in the market again.
Old 12-14-08, 12:59 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I will admit I agree. They are really going after the younger buyers. I hope Lexus is paying attention. I want to see better handling, front lips, and paddle shifters on all lexus cars
Old 12-14-08, 02:48 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by luxury1
I used to like Audi design but for the past ten years I was just not digging it. Too round and boring. And then the BIG nose came

However, I was just on their site today and the new cars have a much better appearance (even with the nose). I think that they look much sportier and I will actually consider one in the future when I am in the market again.
Their newer cars have pretty much the same grille.....it just looks smaller because it is intersected, on some models, by a big belt that effectively cuts it in half, so it doesn't have the gaping fish-mouth look.
Old 12-14-08, 02:55 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I will admit I agree. They are really going after the younger buyers. I hope Lexus is paying attention. I want to see better handling, front lips, and paddle shifters on all lexus cars
First, I don't see where it is an issue of going after "younger" buyers. There was nothing "old" about the gaping fish-mouth grille to start with. I, for one, like luxury1, found the "big nose' grilles ugly myself, but that is not a matter of age.

And as far as "better handling" on Lexus cars goes, some Lexus customers would point out that the traditional ride comfort on many Lexus models has been compromised too much NOW, with stiffer suspensions and low-profile tires, in the name of handling. The new ES350 is probably the best example...it is notably stiffer than the ES330 it replaces. The IS-F is extremely stiff, especially over bumps. Even the silky LS460, while still plush-riding, is not as smooth as the LS400 and LS430 it replaced...the 45-series tires have stiffened it up a little.