Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Can't Decide, need help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-08, 05:55 AM
Spencer
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can't Decide, need help!

Alright so making a long story short:

I'm getting ready to come back to the states after three years of contracting with the Army. Before I come overseas I had a 96 SC300, and loved it but I want something newer. I have about 30-40k I want to spend on a car and I was thinking of going either an early 2000 SC430 or a newer IS series.

Can anyone provide any insight or suggestions?
Old 12-07-08, 07:53 AM
UncleRay
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Welcome back! Glad to see you're in one piece!

With that 30-40k, I would suggest getting an SC 400, and just supercharging it

Or, you could give me 10k
Old 12-07-08, 02:04 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

An automobile is one of the poorest investments you can make. They start depreciating from the time you drive it off the lot. If you are careful, you can buy a good 2 or 3 year old Toyota or Honda and drive it for two or three years. If you clean it up and maintain it meticulously, you can recover a good part of your investment. Before making a purchase, look first at resale values. If you time your purchase right on a popular model, you can drive a nice car and minimize your losses.

Consider putting some of that hard-earned money into a home or in the market where it will appreciate. Meanwhile get a good, reliable car that looks good and won't cost you a fortune. Forget mods. You are trying to accrue capital, not get a magazine cover. If you want a hobby car, buy something you can turn into a real performance machine using inexpensive off-the-shelf parts. Consider something small with a big V8. like a 5.0 Mustang. There isn't much that can provide a bigger bang for the buck.

Put as much of your savings as possible to work for you when you get home - a down market is an unbeatable opportunity to buy low and sell high on the market rebound. A home or a good stock portfolio look like good investments now. If you HAVE to have an expensive car, buy two or three in a few years with the proceeds of your careful investment.
Old 12-07-08, 03:31 PM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Buy a used car and invest the vast majority of your hard earned money.
Old 12-07-08, 04:17 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Spencer
I have about 30-40k I want to spend on a car and I was thinking of going either an early 2000 SC430 or a newer IS series.
I'm going to assume you're not spending all your money on a car. If you are, my advice is to not buy the car.

As for which car, drive both and then decide since they're quite different.

You'll probably loose less money in the long run with the already used SC (if you care about that sort of thing)
Old 12-07-08, 07:35 PM
Spencer
Driver

Sorry for the confusion but I think everyone has a misconception of my situation. I have spent three years in the middle east with a private contracting company for the Army, I'm not living on a military salary anymore. My wife and I already have our house bought and paid for as well as one rental, I have a good amount saved up in both my investments and savings account. With my bonus check I was planning on purchasing a car in cash, because I sold mine before I left a few years back.
Old 12-07-08, 07:55 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

^ that's more how I was understanding; so my post stands.

Drive both then decide. Conveniant, since both types are sitting in dealerships and can be taken on test drives.
Old 12-07-08, 08:13 PM
lighthalo
Lexus Test Driver

get a used M3, they're getting fairly affordable now =D
Old 12-07-08, 09:35 PM
Spencer
Driver

Originally Posted by Faymester
^ that's more how I was understanding; so my post stands.

Drive both then decide. Conveniant, since both types are sitting in dealerships and can be taken on test drives.
That is what I will do once I get back, most likely. Just looking for some advice on both casr so I can be better prepared. Or perhaps some other options on different Lexus models that I might have over looked. Appreciate the help, thanks!!!

Originally Posted by lighthalo
get a used M3, they're getting fairly affordable now =D
I have driven a few BMWs in my day and I was never really a big fan. I owned a SC300 a years ago and I really loved that car. Now that I am in a better financial situation I wanted something a little new, while staying true to my roots!

Last edited by Spencer; 12-07-08 at 09:38 PM.
Old 12-07-08, 09:42 PM
4ntvings
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

IS350 if you want to stay true
Old 12-07-08, 10:32 PM
Little E
Lexus Champion

Get an ISX50 (06-08 model because they look better than the 09s).
Old 12-08-08, 12:37 AM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

If you liked the SC3 then I would be more inclined to suggest the SC430 to you. The ISX50 is probably going to be a lot sportier.

I too would have siggested the M3; however, since you seem possibly against that I'm thinking you're more interested in the comfort as opposed to the sport (which again makes me say the 430 over an X50)

I want to suggest an A4; but I just can't suggest one with out a warrenty as they seem to like to break, which I don't so much like.

How about a TT? or maybe a 5-series. E Klasse maybe? (unless you think the E & the 5 are too big that might be a nice way to get the comfort and some sport)

I'm clearly thinking used on all of these.
Old 12-08-08, 11:41 AM
LexusFiend
Lead Lap

if I had 40k to spend on a car I would wait for about 6 months for the 2006/2007 BMW M5 6sps to come into my price range. Its the best all around car IMO
Old 12-08-08, 11:44 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 295 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by Lil4X
Consider putting some of that hard-earned money into a home or in the market where it will appreciate.
Haven't been following the news, have we?

Jus' messin', of course.
Old 12-08-08, 02:22 PM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

get a 2gs (01+) and boost the hell out of it (single turbo if gs300, TT or s/c if its 430).

you'll get the sporty aspect of a quick vehicle (gs300 has the same engine as your beloved SC) and they ride amazingly. Considering how affordable they're becoming, grab a good one for around 20k, and dump another 10-15 into it, and save the other 5-10k for yourself

but, i'm biased to the 2gs

Quick Reply: Can't Decide, need help!