Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Next generation Mercedes Benz E-Class (Official thread)

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-08, 09:13 AM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

I've spotted a camo E class here in the OC maybe 1-2 months ago.
Couldn't see crap with the coverings, but does look bigger.

LIke all MB, it's pretty boring (worst is CL)without the AMG package
Old 12-09-08, 09:17 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I threw up in my mouth a little bit....
Old 12-09-08, 09:46 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Its an improvement. Now can I get it with a MT and/or decent V6 yet?
Old 12-09-08, 09:57 AM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

This seems like the new design direction for Mercedes-Benz, with the same lines as the new C-class and GLK-class, a bit different from the S-class, which doesn't have the sharp edges and creases like those three. I am not sure I like it or not, but definitely no other automakers are using those sharp edges yet.
Old 12-09-08, 12:03 PM
rogers2
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Once the car is produce, imo it will be the best-looking car in its segment once again. Especially with the AMG package.
For some strange reason I seem to find all Mercedes cars nice looking. The only car company that I feel comes close is Audi.
Old 12-09-08, 12:08 PM
robloc93
Lexus Test Driver

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

I saw that ugly thing in Hermosa Beach a week ago
im sorry but the E-Class looks so horrible IMHO. I'm preety sure the AMG version will look a lot better.
Old 12-09-08, 12:36 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Old 12-09-08, 12:39 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

We've seen so many spy shots of the upcoming 2010 Mercedes-Benz E-Class that these official images hardly move us. Yet here they are, three images leaked onto the web that reportedly reveal the final production form of the 2010 E-Class, which makes its official debut in January at the 2009 Detroit Auto Show.

The new E-Class was previewed by the Mercedes-Benz ConceptFascination that debuted at this year's Paris Motor Show, and we can see now that the front of the production car was heavily influenced by the concept. Gone are the round, quad headlamps, which have been replaced with new light fixtures that still number four but are more contemporary and clean. Strips of LEDs can also be had as fog lights in the outermost intakes of the lower front bumper, which must be a German thing as Audi and Porsche have placed the advanced lighting tech in similar areas on their cars. The soft lines of the current model have been chiseled into a crisper shape that shares creases with its big brother, the S-Class, and the new profile appears to be more forgiving of tall passengers in back. The unfortunate looking Galant-like rear end features large, rectangular tail-lights that cross over a rather voluminous-looking trunk.

We expect the new 2010 E-Class to be loaded with more advanced performance, safety and entertainment technology than ever before, including the ability to read road signs, monitor driver fatigue and see in the dark without its lights on. In Europe it will be available with engines that range from four to six to eight cylinders large and are fueled by either gas or diesel. In the U.S., we should expect what we have now: a V6, V8 and AMG model.

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/12/09/2...d-in-web-leak/
Old 12-09-08, 01:01 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 748 Likes on 518 Posts

Could've been much worse I suppose. Hope official interior shots show up soon.
Old 12-09-08, 01:10 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

I actually don't see it as a C/S derivative. I think they have kept to the current trend that the C is a smaller version of the S while the E is somewhat different. I think I find the C better looking than this but would want to see them side by side.

Ugly doesn't come to mind but bland does. It is obvious that bimmer needed to refine the Bangle Bungles but why waste the redesign money to come out with something that is just so, well, like somebody took a Genesis and hit it with a "bland" stick?
Old 12-09-08, 02:58 PM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

- The side profile is a hybrid of the current C and S.

- Headlights remind me of the 3GS. Kind of funny that the 2GS copied the previous gen E-class and this new E-class got its inspiration from the 3GS.

- The rear is sooooo bland, I don't even know what to comment on...
Old 12-09-08, 03:03 PM
Kaydee
Hacked CL to become a Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

wow this is ugly...but not as ugly as the first rendering. Although this does look a lot like the new C-Class, the old C and S class were ugly to begin with, now with the change they look modern and fresh. Not true with the E-Class...the old body look elegant and curvy...this one looks mechanical BLEH
Old 12-09-08, 03:09 PM
lex-phil
Driver

It looks outdated already.
Old 12-09-08, 03:18 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

I was more tempted to say cross between CLS and Maybach than C and S. But you know, maybe it's the colors shown? That "brown" (don't know what else to call it) may just not do anything for it. But then again, the pewter look isn't that much better. Still think ugly doesn't apply. But it's a long ways away from even "interesting" IMO.
Old 12-09-08, 04:14 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

I like the front, very nice upscale elegant design and fits the Mercedes luxury look, rear end looks really bland and plain and is a total disappointment especially with the tail light treatment.

Quick Reply: Next generation Mercedes Benz E-Class (Official thread)