Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Next generation Mercedes Benz E-Class (Official thread)

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-08, 11:56 PM
jracerlmn
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i wanna see it in person before i judge, but if it does look like the picture i'm going to go crazy. It looks like a Kia. The new RX looks like a Kia. Everything that's coming out looks like a Kia.
Old 12-10-08, 12:11 AM
hapaboy
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looks like a CTS/
Old 12-10-08, 11:00 AM
LexusChris
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Until I see official high-res pictures or in person I won't really say much but it simply just doesn't look good. What is happening with all the carmakers nothing is coming really good out of any of the great carmakers in the world lately.
Old 12-10-08, 11:17 AM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

the shape of that car is just nasty.

i can't imagine how AMG can improve on the appearance
Old 12-10-08, 02:56 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by jracerlmn
i wanna see it in person before i judge, but if it does look like the picture i'm going to go crazy. It looks like a Kia. The new RX looks like a Kia. Everything that's coming out looks like a Kia.
OMG, this is so sig worthy!!! I agree sadly

Old 12-10-08, 02:58 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Shocking so many can make a final decision on the styling of this car from spoy shots/camo

Talk about jumping the gun.
Old 12-10-08, 04:10 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jracerlmn
It could be other way around. KIA looks lik everything that's coming out? Ok, that is still the same thing.

I agree. This is the worst E class I've seen so far.
Old 12-10-08, 05:33 PM
GS430V8
Lexus Champion

just fugly!
Old 12-10-08, 09:28 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,412 Likes on 1,581 Posts

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
Oh man, I just looked at the pricing for the E class. Its ridiculous. It starts at $54k! No wonder they don't sell that great. All of the other midsize luxury vehicles start in the mid $40s.
Not ridiculous at all. I remember looking at a first gen GS300 in a Lexus dealership around 1996. It was $46K! My 1994 Acura Legend GS sedan had a sticker of $38K. My 2000 GS400 had a sticker of about $52K. A new E-class will have so much more equipment than those cars. Prices have really gone way DOWN in recent years. Price increases have really been minimal while equipment levels have skyrocketed.
Old 01-06-09, 04:43 PM
LexFather

http://www.worldcarfans.com/9090106....e-scans-leaked

Brochure leaked. The interior is like the GLK, circa 1980. I am very underwhelmed.

Old 01-06-09, 04:46 PM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

Brochure leaked. The interior is like the GLK, circa 1980. I am very underwhelmed.
Not exciting but not bad, better than the 5-series IMO.
Old 01-06-09, 04:49 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

Meh I remember all of the whining when the first pictures of the new S-Class were leaked. Everything changed once people actually started filling the drivers seat and seeing it with their own eyes.
Old 01-06-09, 05:23 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

As has been said before, I am one who prefers the classic and simple lines that Mercedes used to use. I am not a fan of the fender flares in the S class or tail lights, and also dislike several of the design cues in this car. Ironically I think the exterior of the C is the nicest and cleanest sedan they have.

The entire front end looks busy...headlights look overdone and like the slit that separates them should be removed. The double barrel fogs came straight off Fast and Furious, but the LED slanted bar looks pretty cool. The shape of the blinkers on the side mirrors is a little unnecessary as well, IMO. A simply designed line or section looks classier in my eyes.

Because of the lines that they used on the rear half of the car, it looks like it will need 22s to even fill the wheel wells proportionately.

The interior looks great, though I highly dislike the relocation of the shifter to the steering column (not specific to the E class). Sport sedans should have a centrally mounted shifter below the dash IMO- it adds to the elegance and overall feel of the interior, not to mention you lose the functionality of a sequential shift feature. When I think of steering column shifter I automatically think of an old Crown Vic or a minivan. Shame that most of these German companies are moving to that.

Lastly the rear end is just too generic for a new Mercedes. Could be a Camry, Sonata, Accord, or any other. They should have done something different with it.

Overall i'd give it a B, and probably choose the 5, GS, and M over it based on design. Not bad looking, but Mercedes could have done a better job overall and from a design standpoint, I actually much prefer the current E and think that it is a beautiful car that has aged perfectly- simple, elegant, and classy. The new one is busy and overdone.

Since I'm going to be bashed for being anti German, I want to close by saying that all the chrome that Lexus uses on their side view mirrors are no better, nor is the ugly 08 GS grille/headlight treatment. It looks just as cluttered and unnecessary as this Mercedes. And many cars are using higher beltlines which gives the wheels a smaller look...not just this new E.
Old 01-06-09, 05:43 PM
triplecore
Lead Lap

To be honest; I hate all the way the new cars look like coming from Lexus and Mercedes except for the GS and LS and umm no new Mercedes.

Surprisingly the domestic seems to be what I like new Escalade, Tahoe and Impala, Mustang. I tend to prefer the classic look.
Old 01-06-09, 05:43 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I drove a friends E63 tonight after work. DAMN that thing is soooooooo ungodly fast I cant even believe it. No wonder people live through the more frequent visits to the dealer , and Benz is not bankrupt. They make some beautiful car. I have to say that I like the current generation E class better than what we are seeing in these spy photos

Quick Reply: Next generation Mercedes Benz E-Class (Official thread)