Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Next generation Mercedes Benz E-Class (Official thread)

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-09, 05:47 PM
triplecore
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I drove a friends E63 tonight after work. DAMN that thing is soooooooo ungodly fast I cant even believe it. No wonder people live through the more frequent visits to the dealer , and Benz is not bankrupt. They make some beautiful car. I have to say that I like the current generation E class better than what we are seeing in these spy photos
Current Gen E is surprisingly reliable and last Gen C is almost great (for a European car or compared to the ML)

Has anyone been in the NEW C Class, the interior is disgusting. It is mainly made of plastic and pleather glued together. go to the dealer and test drive one or ask for a loaner C class and they drive like Lexus SUV now. I have RX so I can rag on it, but when you buy a European sedan you want more feedback and for the car to feel heavy and substantial. At least the cruise control says digitally what speed its set at and the mirrors fold! And it makes it cool beeping noise when you lock it like the Lex, but more modern tone.

And the ML that does not look like "luxury" car to me, it looks to modern more Beamerish. What happened to the classic Mercedes interior controls on top radio in the middle, etc.
Old 01-06-09, 10:37 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Whats the deal with the quad fog lights? As usual current gen Mercedes only look good if it has the sport body kits. This unfortunately is no exception.

That interior is disgraceful.
Old 01-06-09, 11:31 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I have to sya I dont think I have seen many companies put together interiors as well as audi and lexus. The LS is amazing. The audis have always ben the best in the industry followed by porsche imo
Old 01-07-09, 08:37 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Official Mercedes E class photos leaked

Hi guys, been a little busy. Got married in the meantime and now I'm back.

The new E class looks very promising. In a way it appears to be a solid homage to the W124 E class of the late 1980s and early 1990s with several design cues from the current and last generation models. The interior looks very nice if you ask me. A mix between S class and C class design cues with a bit of W124 E class thrown in.

This car should be a bestseller. Not sure if you guys heard but MB released a pretty impressive new 4-cylinder diesel engine which will probably be seen in the E class in three different models.

Last edited by DustinV; 01-07-09 at 08:50 AM.
Old 01-07-09, 08:41 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Interesting.

I like it. Very clean and handsome. It will appeal to the masses.

Is that a steering wheel mounted shifter?
Old 01-07-09, 08:42 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Is that a steering wheel mounted shifter?
It appears so.

I found this picture on Motor Talk. You can even get some models with a manual transmission it seems. Probably the entry-level diesel and gasoline models only though.

Old 01-07-09, 09:01 AM
LexFather

Congrats and welcome back DustinV!

Old 01-07-09, 09:40 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 748 Likes on 518 Posts

No way the manual tranny is heading to the US though. I'm still not a fan of the tails, but the car looks ok. I'd rather get the current gen
Old 01-07-09, 09:42 AM
bad co
Lexus Champion

personaly the car looks beautifull (maybe because i am biased towards mercedes) i love the unpolished wood trim gives it a nicer luxury touch. the back could be nicer but the front is dead on perfect. when they do a face lift in 7 years i hope its more like a *** lift lol.
Old 01-07-09, 10:06 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 222 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by DustinV
It appears so.

I found this picture on Motor Talk. You can even get some models with a manual transmission it seems. Probably the entry-level diesel and gasoline models only though.
Yes, I've only seen E-class with manual transmissions in Europe, when I rode in their taxi's there, I think they're always available for the E-class there ...
Old 01-07-09, 10:08 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow this car couldn't get anymore Bauhaus if you ask me. I guess they are trying real hard to differentiate E from CLS.

Anyway this looks too Korean for my taste in base form, just like new C.
Old 01-07-09, 11:10 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Congrats and welcome back DustinV!
Thanks.

It's good to be back. Been a little busy with work too. I just needed a break from anything to do with computers (including the Internet).
Old 01-07-09, 11:12 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Vladi
Anyway this looks too Korean for my taste in base form, just like new C.
Define "Korean".

Because this car looks like a natural design evolution of the E class to me. Notice how the current C class and GLK have pointed at the new design direction Mercedes is taking: boxier shapes. In a way a return to the Benz design themes of the mid 1980s to the mid 1990s.
Old 01-07-09, 11:22 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by triplecore
Has anyone been in the NEW C Class, the interior is disgusting. It is mainly made of plastic and pleather glued together.
I am the former owner of a W204 C class C200 CDI (company car) and I completely disagree with your statement about the interior. The cabin is far from cheap. The materials are upscale and the build quality and construction make a very good impression. I would recommend that you spend some quality time inside the car and you will eventually see what I mean. Sitting in a car or taking it for a short drive will not give you a lasting impression of the interior quality.

The only complaint I had about the C class interior was that it was overall a bit bland and lacking in creative design. On the other hand the ergonomics were excellent, there was a lot of space for my long feet (not the case in the IS) and the layout of buttons was logical and easy to comprehend.

The Lexus IS interior, the competitor to the C class, isn't all that great in my personal opinion. My sister has an IS250 and when I was on vacation back home I've driven it a few times and spent some quality time inside the cabin.

On a side note, I am a Lexus fan, but I do find a lot of their interiors to be highly overrated. To me the best Lexus interiors are actually those of the GS and ES. I am not too impressed with the LS interior to be completely honest. The wood seems a little fake and all that silver plastic is just a thorn in ones eye when compared to the subtle and discreet interiors of the A8 and S class and now the new BMW 7 series.

No offense.
Old 01-07-09, 11:24 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
Yes, I've only seen E-class with manual transmissions in Europe, when I rode in their taxi's there, I think they're always available for the E-class there ...
In my experience, all the latest E class taxis don't even have manual transmissions anymore. I've also seen a lot of A6 and BMW 5er taxis and they're automatic too. Come to think of it even Japanese and other European cars that are used as taxis in Germany tend to be equipped with an automatic transmission. The preferred taxi saloon car in Stuttgart is still the E class though.

Quick Reply: Next generation Mercedes Benz E-Class (Official thread)