Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Next generation Mercedes Benz E-Class (Official thread)

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-09, 11:58 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Regarding the pictures, no problem, guys.

What I like about these new Mercedes interiors is the return to attention to detail. Simple things like a chrome strip here or there can work wonders. The cabin is indeed clean and very high quality. The design is actually very simple, yet that seems to be a traditional Benz thing when it comes to interiors. Simple, yet elegant designs. The good thing about this interior is that it also looks modern enough to fit into our current era and it has a small similarity to past E class interiors like that of the W124 and maybe even the model that came after the W124. Sorry, I don't know my Benz chassis codes at all.

On a side note, I am personally very happy with the E230 I am currently driving. It's a great car and was a comfortable companion for me and my wife during our honeymoon trip to Italy. I am eagerly awaiting the new E class and the reviews. It should be a great car.
Old 01-09-09, 07:23 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,618 Posts

Originally Posted by DustinV
Simple things like a chrome strip here or there can work wonders.
good point and that goes for exterior as well as interior.

Mercedes in particular is wonderful at DETAILS. compare the CURRENT e-class with a GS and there's really no contest, the e-class has TONS of reallly exquisite inside and outside details and in particular little thin chrome pieces that make a car shine without being obnoxious.
Old 01-09-09, 08:01 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

We'll never seen a MT E class here. Which is lame. A limited run would be cool. Or an AMG. Stupid Mercedes.
Old 01-09-09, 10:58 PM
GS3Tek

Received 168 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Is that a steering wheel mounted shifter?
ala BMW

Hi guys, been a little busy. Got married in the meantime and now I'm back.
Congratulations and welcome back

The new front end is pretty good until the lady shows her back side

Define "Korean".
I'm sure this is what most people have in mind

Old 01-10-09, 12:20 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
good point and that goes for exterior as well as interior.

Mercedes in particular is wonderful at DETAILS. compare the CURRENT e-class with a GS and there's really no contest, the e-class has TONS of reallly exquisite inside and outside details and in particular little thin chrome pieces that make a car shine without being obnoxious.
Both are good. I am not a fan of random chrome trim everywhere as every car has that today. There are details in the GS people don't know about or miss. For instance hte door panel shape and rear bumper cut out mimic one another. The glovebox, ashtray and anything that opens, opens at the same speed. The Gauges on the GS resemble titanium.

As for this new E class, I found the last E class to be PERFECT pretty much inside and out. This new one looks old already and the usual new Benz busy in design. The interior is retro 1980s, yuck. The angles and symmetry are all 90 degrees it seems, hard and unwelcoming.

The only good looking Benzs sadly are ones with AMG kits or the CLS.

Benz sells these in droves here and in Europe. People will buy them on the strength of being an E-class.

It doesn't even LOOK new.

Old 01-10-09, 01:42 PM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

I thought it would be interesting to see the different generations of E classes and how they have evolved over time. eMercedesbenz had a nice comprehensive review about every generation. I didn't read them but just took the pictures for use on this site!

With the exception of the W124, all of them have had circular headlights. Interesting. The new model retains the four-eyed look but the headlights have become boxier in the spirit of the new C class and GLK.

According to eMercedesbenz this was the first E class or a car that evolved into the E class.

Edit: Just found some more.

Last edited by DustinV; 01-10-09 at 01:50 PM.
Old 01-10-09, 01:50 PM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Visual interior comparison.

Generation 1

Generation 2

Generation 3

Generation 4

Generation 5

Generation 6

Generation 7

Generation 8

Generation 9
Old 01-10-09, 01:52 PM
LexFather

Droool....I like the generation pics.....great work.

Old 01-10-09, 01:57 PM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

More pictures!

Old 01-10-09, 01:58 PM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Old 01-10-09, 02:03 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by dunnojack
interesting thing is, when the hyundai designer was at hyundai, he made the cars look like mercs.

now that he's with mercedes, he's doing the opposite. If that's not sabotage, i dunno what its called.

This looks so bad its not even funny. Looks like the Accord rear of 9 years ago. What the hell is happening to GErman design?

Old 01-10-09, 02:56 PM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
This looks so bad its not even funny. Looks like the Accord rear of 9 years ago. What the hell is happening to GErman design?
Not sure about you, but since I live in Europe I've seen those taillights on other Mercedes' like the B class for example. I honestly don't think Mercedes designers were inspired by a Honda Accord.

Old 01-10-09, 04:00 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

how much do those subcompact mercs cost?

are they about the same price as their asian counterparts?
Old 01-10-09, 06:11 PM
triplecore
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The red pic from DustinV of the E looks really good, I hope my mom trades up and the interior of the E actually looks somewhat appealing, not use to the big screen in the middle. I just like the old conservativeness of Gen 7 and 8.

The HVAC controls seem alot more intuitive then the ones in the current generation 03-07. As the slighlty changed 07-08 I think also got an interior upgrade,

btw Dustin do you E320 or E230? I didnt know they had the Kompressor from the SLK and C class in E for North America. I think you mean E350 because my mom has an 06 and u have an 08 and I am pretty sure the dealer told us that 320 was dropped after 05. The 3.2 is good engine tho we had on tour suv and it was probably the only thing that didn't break when we traded it.
Old 01-10-09, 07:24 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,618 Posts

i'm not blown away inside or out with this new E, but suspect it will grow on me.

i honestly thing the state of car design in general is pretty bad right now. as far as sedans, i think the genesis and jag xf are the best things to come along in a while.

Quick Reply: Next generation Mercedes Benz E-Class (Official thread)