Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Next generation Mercedes Benz E-Class (Official thread)

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-09, 07:40 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Its grown on me. I do like the front end with the sport package. Has a subtle aggressive look to it. The interior is tepid at best. But unlike Lexus, they still put in an acceptable amount of wood trim (ES and new RX wood trim is non existent).
Old 01-10-09, 07:40 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

MANY MORE PICS HERE.

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2010-...-benz-e-class/
Old 01-10-09, 09:46 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ODDEST looking car ever.

odd shaped body, makes the back wheels look small. and for some reason, the front wheels look small too, even while filling up the wheel well
trapezoidal shaped looks like it was designed in 1991.

Old 01-10-09, 09:59 PM
LOL!
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, it's odd to me as well. I love Mercedes, but I am NOT a fan of this car. The interior is meh. I guess I just expect more because it is a Mercedes. Does the dashboard remind anyone of the e60 5 series? I see a lot of similarities. With that said, I'm sure this thing will sell regardless.
Old 01-10-09, 09:59 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Old 01-11-09, 03:12 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Picture gallery with official MB press photos is up: http://www.netcarshow.com/mercedes-benz/2010-e-class/

I'm really loving the interior. You can see it is well made and the materials are obviously very high quality. I cannot wait to see this beauty in person.

Old 01-11-09, 03:17 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by dunnojack
how much do those subcompact mercs cost?

are they about the same price as their asian counterparts?
They cost way more than an Asian car of similar dimensions but the A- and B classes in turn feature more safety features and actually come well-equipped if I understand it correctly. I don't really know that much about them. My wife is German and her father has a B class, a gasoline-powered model. I've ridden in it a few times and for a small car it is actually very spacious and the comfort wasn't bad at all.
Old 01-11-09, 03:22 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by triplecore
btw Dustin do you E320 or E230? I didnt know they had the Kompressor from the SLK and C class in E for North America. I think you mean E350 because my mom has an 06 and u have an 08 and I am pretty sure the dealer told us that 320 was dropped after 05. The 3.2 is good engine tho we had on tour suv and it was probably the only thing that didn't break when we traded it.
Many people have recently asked me this same question!

Nope, it's not a spelling mistake, I truly do have a Mercedes E230. I live and work in Germany and the E230 is the entry-level V6 (2.5 liters) that is slotted in right between the E200 Kompressor (4 cylinder) and E280 (V6). I find the engine to be really quite decent actually. It's refined and the power ain't bad at all. I've never driven an E320 or an E350 so I can't comment on how they drive or how the engine feels.

Here is the thread I made about the car when I got her.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...-a-review.html
Old 01-11-09, 07:43 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I still really dislike the entire rear half of the car but all in all I think they did a good job, and that interior looks great...just wish it had a gated shifter.
Old 01-11-09, 07:51 AM
theanimala
Lead Lap

You guys think the interior looks good? The plastics look very hard, and the leather looks like it belongs in a cheap van, not a luxury vehicle. What's up with the seat switches being placed on the seat themselves? Looks ugly and uncomfortable. I am amazed at Mercedes and how poorly they continue to make their interiors.
Old 01-11-09, 08:07 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

I don't really like the exterior lines of the new E, the rear is particularly plain & uninspiring, & the rear doesn't match the front, like they should belong to two different cars.
I think the simpler, cleaner lines of the current E-class looks much better, probably the nicest looking E-class ever.

I actually think the new retro interior is quite nice. As for the quality of the plastics/vinyl, I will wait to sit inside one in person to pass judgement.
Old 01-11-09, 10:23 AM
LB Lex
Lexus Champion

Looks okay, I have to see it in person.

I hope they fixed three things in the interior:

1. Touch screen Navi.
2. Navi system where you can enter the street number (currently it takes you to the appropriate block but not the exact address).
3. Temperature buttons that move in increments of two degrees or is a round dial (it's annoying holding down the button from 55 degrees to 80 and vic versa).
Old 01-11-09, 10:59 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by theanimala
You guys think the interior looks good? The plastics look very hard, and the leather looks like it belongs in a cheap van, not a luxury vehicle. What's up with the seat switches being placed on the seat themselves? Looks ugly and uncomfortable. I am amazed at Mercedes and how poorly they continue to make their interiors.
You have got to be kidding me?

This interior, cheap? I hope you're kidding, I really do. The cabin looks fantastic. Lively, simplistic and yet at the same time elegant and modern. There's nothing cheap about it.
Old 01-11-09, 11:01 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LB Lex
2. Navi system where you can enter the street number (currently it takes you to the appropriate block but not the exact address).

My E230 has the APS-50, which is a simple navigation system yet very efficient. I can program street numbers into it without any problems.

Perhaps this feature is not available in an American APS-50 system?
Old 01-11-09, 11:32 AM
LB Lex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DustinV
My E230 has the APS-50, which is a simple navigation system yet very efficient. I can program street numbers into it without any problems.

Perhaps this feature is not available in an American APS-50 system?
For whatever reason it's not available in the U.S. version of the E class When I enter the street number it shows a range (block) of street numbers I must choose from

Quick Reply: Next generation Mercedes Benz E-Class (Official thread)