Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Audi R8 V10 Unveiled

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-08, 01:37 PM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Koma
I'm going to assume this is a joke right?
It's more like...

Audi: Hey Lexus, your fly is open

Lexus: Uh... So is yours.
Old 12-11-08, 05:07 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by primecut
The R8 is a nice effort from the Germans, but I can't get over the ultra tacky bodywork with mismatched color panels and fake exhaust tips. Did I mention that the tips are fake? How cheap is that? Did they run out of money and can't weld it on? Come on! Totally unacceptable for a car like this! And the interior comes straight from the VW parts bin. This won't be confused with a true sports car, that's for sure.
I agree, looks very tacky and added on. Not clean at all.

Old 12-11-08, 08:41 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by primecut
The R8 is a nice effort from the Germans, but I can't get over the ultra tacky bodywork with mismatched color panels and fake exhaust tips. Did I mention that the tips are fake? How cheap is that? Did they run out of money and can't weld it on? Come on! Totally unacceptable for a car like this! And the interior comes straight from the VW parts bin. This won't be confused with a true sports car, that's for sure.
Um...It's actually the Audi parts bin.
Old 12-14-08, 02:36 AM
biggie27
Lexus Champion

time to defend my car :P, first off the interior is top notch, I garantee you no other car in its class has the same quality interior as the R8 Ive driven the competion and non stack up in terms of quality and reliability, as for the tips yah there fake but there is actualy 4 exhaust right behind them, all cars are going that route now including the porsche turbo even the ferrari california is like that, its just a cleaner look........as for the car itself well thats based on opinion and taste we all have diffrent tastes and I wont argue with u I personlay love the way it looks its diffrent and sexy from all angels.
Old 12-14-08, 08:36 AM
8speed
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by FKL
Um...It's actually the Audi parts bin.
Actually it's the Lambo parts bin

The fake exhaust tip arguement has been beaten to death. The tips work in conjunction with the diffuser to create downforce and this technology has been used for years by F1, Lemans cars to Ferrari, Aston Martin etc.....and yes, even my IS-F

Sick car

Last edited by 8speed; 12-14-08 at 10:32 PM.
Old 12-14-08, 08:41 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 8speed
Actually it's the Lambo parts bin
Fail.

Audi AG owns Lamborghini.

HVAC/Nav strait from an A4.

Real nice try though.
Old 12-14-08, 09:04 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by biggie27
time to defend my car :P, first off the interior is top notch, I garantee you no other car in its class has the same quality interior as the R8 Ive driven the competion and non stack up in terms of quality and reliability, as for the tips yah there fake but there is actualy 4 exhaust right behind them, all cars are going that route now including the porsche turbo even the ferrari california is like that, its just a cleaner look........as for the car itself well thats based on opinion and taste we all have diffrent tastes and I wont argue with u I personlay love the way it looks its diffrent and sexy from all angels.
I think people PREFER the looks to your R8 compared to this V-10 model

Old 12-14-08, 10:05 PM
primecut
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ffpower
It's more like...

Audi: Hey Lexus, your fly is open

Lexus: Uh... So is yours.
Bingo! Well done my friend. That was exactly the point! LOL. I was just clownin, guys. The R8 is a sweet car!
Old 12-14-08, 10:28 PM
8speed
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by FKL
Fail.

Audi AG owns Lamborghini.

HVAC/Nav strait from an A4.

Real nice try though.

Double fail.............VW owns them both and other makers as well:

Volkswagen Group, or Volkswagen Aktiengesellschaft (German), (listed as Volkswagen AG) is a German automobile manufacturing group, currently the third largest automobile maker in the world[4], and the largest in Europe.

Although it operates worldwide, Volkswagen Group's core market is continental Europe. Of its car brands, Volkswagen Passenger Cars is its mainstream marque, and the Group's major subsidiaries also include well-known car marques like Audi, SEAT, Škoda, Lamborghini, Bentley, and Bugatti. The Group also has operations in commercial vehicles, owning Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles, along with a controlling stake in Scania AB and a 29.9% stake in MAN AG.

Volkswagen's second-largest market is China where its subsidiary, Volkswagen Group China is by far the second largest joint venture automaker.

The Volkswagen Golf is the third bestselling car in the world, selling over 25 million cars through 2006. In 2007 the Volkswagen Group sold 6.19 million automobiles, claiming over 10% of the world passenger car market. In late 2007, the company openly reported that they plan to double sales, overtake Toyota and become the world's largest automaker by 2018.[5]

The point I was making is that they all have access to each others technology.

Here we go off topic again, in the forum that should be named "Off topic central" as opposed to car chat
Old 12-14-08, 10:44 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Well the discussion was about the interior of the R8, which is obviously Audi (Which is a separate entity within VW Group, producing their own technology and engines, sharing it with the rest of the companies). The interior of the Lamborghini Gallardo is straight Audi (Lamborghini is a subsidiary of Audi AG in the VW Group corporate structure).
Old 12-14-08, 10:46 PM
8speed
Lexus Test Driver

Then why didn't you just say that

This topic stinks
Old 12-14-08, 10:49 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

primecut said "And the interior comes straight from the VW parts bin.", which is not true. Then you said it was from the Lamborghini parts bin, which isn't exactly true either. Audi has its own parts bin, espcially for interior components.
Old 12-14-08, 10:51 PM
8speed
Lexus Test Driver

I know this, I was being facetious.

Sarcasm-sar·casm
Pronunciation: \ˈsär-ˌka-zəm\
Function: noun
Etymology: French or Late Latin; French sarcasme, from Late Latin sarcasmos, from Greek sarkasmos, from sarkazein to tear flesh, bite the lips in rage, sneer, from sark-, sarx flesh; probably akin to Avestan thwarəs- to cut
Date: 1550
1: a sharp and often satirical or ironic utterance designed to cut or give pain
2 a: a mode of satirical wit depending for its effect on bitter, caustic, and often ironic language that is usually directed against an individual b: the use or language of sarcasm
synonyms see wit
Old 12-14-08, 10:59 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

...ok, if you say so
Old 12-20-08, 02:04 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Too bad they couldn't use the V-10 from the Audi RS6 which is faster, more torquey and lighter (probably because it will overheat too fast in the engine bay of the R8).

Still wickedly fast though

P.S.
Audi mentioned that a Double-clutch tranny for the V-10 model is in the works (which will still come with paddle shifters obviously).

Quick Reply: Audi R8 V10 Unveiled