Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

AutoblogGreen achieves 43.1 mpg in 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid (UPDATED real world mpg)

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-08 | 09:43 AM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Exclamation AutoblogGreen achieves 43.1 mpg in 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid (UPDATED real world mpg)

We're in the City of Angels this week to drive a bunch of new Fords, including the new 2010 Mustang and Fusion. We started off Monday afternoon with a mileage challenge in the new 2010 Fusion Hybrid. We can't share our driving impressions until Saturday, but we can tell you the results of the mileage contest. Ford hybrid applications manager Gil Portalatin used his intimate knowledge of the car to set some benchmarks the day before. Ford claims the Fusion will get at least 39 mpg city/ 37 mpg highway when the EPA numbers are calculated in the coming weeks. Portalatin got 46 mpg on the first segment of the drive route and 43.5 mpg on the hillier second part. Among the journalists on hand, Car and Driver's Steve Siler recorded a 43.6 mpg result on the first part. After Drew Phillips and I switched places for the second segment, I achieved 43.1 mpg, which is a very impressive number for Ford's new mid-size sedan.

Source: http://www.autoblog.com/2008/12/09/a...fusion-hybrid/

ffpower says: Watch out! Toyota.

Last edited by ffpowerLN; 12-09-08 at 09:50 AM.
Old 12-09-08 | 09:49 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

How, Toyota needs to get their new 2.5L in the Camry hybrid. They can't afford to wait like they did getting the 3.5L into the RX.
Old 12-09-08 | 10:15 AM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

Wow... that's really impressive... Put's the Hybrid Malibu to SHAME... Plus, it looks a whole hell of a lot better while doing it!
Old 12-09-08 | 10:25 AM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

for Ford! Nicely done. This is significantly better in real world mileage than anything else similar out there.
Old 12-09-08 | 10:31 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Mike (1SICKLEX): There's the reason, like what we discussed, why GM has to keep the Malibu/Aura hybrids in production......with improvements, of course.
Old 12-09-08 | 11:47 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Stage3
Wow... that's really impressive... Put's the Hybrid Malibu to SHAME... Plus, it looks a whole hell of a lot better while doing it!
What's the difference in price, though?

The Hybrid Malibu isn't anything close to a traditional/full hybrid vehicle. It's really just a stepping stone in that direction, but as a result its price premium is quite a bit less than most full hybrid vehicles.

I'm not saying I'd buy one, I'm just saying it wasnt' really intended to compete with full hybrids from an engineering perspective.
Old 12-09-08 | 12:29 PM
RX300-BV
Lead Lap

Nicely done. That's awesome numbers from a mid-sized family sedan. Definitely blows away the other hybrid mid-sized family sedan on the market now. I wonder what MPG a Focus with this engine/drive train combo could achieve?
Old 12-09-08 | 01:11 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

it will be interesting to see what it gets in real life - trying to get the best mpg possible in any vehicle will result in high milage... I can achieve 30 mpg in my GS350 AWD, my real mpg is 14-15....

I got 74 mpg on one trip (70+ miles) in Prius, i got over >60 mpg million times, and yet my averages were around 48-50mpg...

I could get into very nice Avensis diesel with 126hp and get over 70mpg on any day of the week. It will still average around 40 in normal drive...
Old 12-09-08 | 01:12 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Threxx
What's the difference in price, though?

The Hybrid Malibu isn't anything close to a traditional/full hybrid vehicle. It's really just a stepping stone in that direction, but as a result its price premium is quite a bit less than most full hybrid vehicles.

I'm not saying I'd buy one, I'm just saying it wasnt' really intended to compete with full hybrids from an engineering perspective.
yes, it was intended to compete with full hybrids purely from marketing perspective :-)
Old 12-09-08 | 01:42 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by spwolf
yes, it was intended to compete with full hybrids purely from marketing perspective :-)
Almost all marketing out there chooses the big dog on the market to put their product next to, whether deserved or not. Not to mention the Malibu hybrid is still a viable competitor to the full hybrids... it's a question of do you want to spend less up front and pay more (for gas) down the road, or pay more up front and pay less for gas? It's a valid question. The malibu occupies the point between the a non-hybrid and a full hybrid both in sticker price and in mileage.
Old 12-09-08 | 06:05 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Great stuff.
Old 12-09-08 | 06:07 PM
LexFather

Its also a good looking sedan!!! The Fusion has done very well for Ford, this will help even more.

Great job!
Old 12-10-08 | 02:15 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Threxx
Almost all marketing out there chooses the big dog on the market to put their product next to, whether deserved or not. Not to mention the Malibu hybrid is still a viable competitor to the full hybrids... it's a question of do you want to spend less up front and pay more (for gas) down the road, or pay more up front and pay less for gas? It's a valid question. The malibu occupies the point between the a non-hybrid and a full hybrid both in sticker price and in mileage.
it is not viable competition at all, read some test reviews, you gain nothing, you lose everything with Malibu, compared to regular 4cly Malibu :-).

Thats why they sell 10 of them per month, it is pure marketing so GM can say that they have "7 hybrids on sale".
Old 12-10-08 | 08:40 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

I wonder what the demand will be for the Fusion hybrid. I was surprised that my bro's company gave him a V6, 4WD Mariner and not a 2WD Escape Hybrid (Fleet sales I guess). He was allowed to drive anywhere in that thing on the company's dime....maybe thats why him and 1000 of his coworkers lost their jobs.
Old 12-10-08 | 08:52 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

great numbers...but IMO that thing is UGLY...I like the current body style better.

Quick Reply: AutoblogGreen achieves 43.1 mpg in 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid (UPDATED real world mpg)