Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Acura aims to deliver big-league luxury

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-08, 05:29 AM
luxury1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree that Acura could build a very nice flagship that would compete with the LS. There are many families that are Honda / Acura families that would buy into this.

I hope they do it!
Old 12-10-08, 09:03 AM
08IS350
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

talk is cheap. That is all Honda/Acura is doing.
Old 12-10-08, 09:30 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Acura needs a small swoopy coupe ala the 335 & stuff it with their 300hp v6. The return of the Integra/RSX? Bring forth a V8 sedan that captures the essence of the 1992 Legend.. Acura can do this... I would love to return at some point to Acura.
Old 12-10-08, 09:39 AM
gshb
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Old 12-10-08, 10:35 AM
LexusChris
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Let's see cars(without the huge grins) enough talk Acura damn!
Old 12-10-08, 01:24 PM
primecut
Lexus Test Driver

I really like Acuras, but it seems like their current marketing and product line-up contradicts with the stated goal of being a luxury brand. All their cars are marketed as full-featured and packed with the latest gadgets and technology, almost a niche product for a younger crowd that is tired of traditional brands. I believe Lexus is more modeled after Mercedes and Infiniti is modeled after BMW, so Acura just needs to find its own identity, but one that is synonymous with luxury as well as technology.

It also works against them that their line-up slots right in-between the competitors' models, which makes it hard to compare for consumers.
Old 12-10-08, 04:01 PM
dsnowgs4
Pole Position

I would love to see it happen. I was telling my buddy back in the Alex Zanardi days of Cart that when Honda decides to bring out a V-8 the world better watch out.

I guess world domination is just not in the cards for Honda/Acrua.
Old 12-10-08, 09:08 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

good to hear they are going to step it up. They are not equal to lexus in total luxury. They need to develop a RWD car to be a true competiror imo.
Old 12-11-08, 06:19 AM
Roid Rage
Driver School Candidate

I think it's too late for Acura to catch up to Lexus in the luxury car department, as far as imige is concerned. For many consumers, imo, the perception is that Acura is somewhere between Lexus and Toyota/Honda, and that will be difficult to change. It's ironic because Honda created Acura as the first upscale Japanese car. Toyota and Nissan copied Honda with Lexus and Infiniti, respectively, and have since surpassed Acura, leaving Acura as the also-ran.

It's similar to American cars. American passenger cars these days have improved and are a lot better than the 80 or 90 but still many consumers are not giving American cars a chance, because they just can't shake off the perception that American cars are crap.
Old 12-11-08, 06:44 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Roid Rage
I think it's too late for Acura to catch up to Lexus in the luxury car department, as far as imige is concerned. For many consumers, imo, the perception is that Acura is somewhere between Lexus and Toyota/Honda, and that will be difficult to change. It's ironic because Honda created Acura as the first upscale Japanese car. Toyota and Nissan copied Honda with Lexus and Infiniti, respectively, and have since surpassed Acura, leaving Acura as the also-ran.

It's similar to American cars. American passenger cars these days have improved and are a lot better than the 80 or 90 but still many consumers are not giving American cars a chance, because they just can't shake off the perception that American cars are crap.
I agree with you that people have to get "image" out of their mind......it is one of the chief things that interferes with sensible and objective vehicle sales. People often buy what they worship, or from peer pressure, rather than what they need.

But, there is still a lot of truth to the old adage that American-designed vehicles are inferior, Yes, some improvements have been made, especially in the Cadillac CTS, Chevy Malibu/Saturn Aura, some GM SUV interiors, and the reliability of a lot of Ford products. But there is still a major difference, overall, in general quality between American-designed and Asian-designed vehicles. That is not an "image". It is a fact.
Old 12-11-08, 11:44 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Somewhat ironically, considering their historical sales in recent years as the #2 Japanese luxury brand, they logically could take the #2 spot in prestige, image etc. in this category. But instead it's kinda a wash, just as the recent customer retention numbers and other stats indicate. Funny thing is that the Acura TL ads recently remind me of the Infiniti ones...a metaphoric display of something (diver/wave/etc) followed by the car. The current styling is polarizing, but there is potential here. I'd start by getting a better slogan. "Advance" is nice but too short.
Old 12-12-08, 03:59 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

"The most powerful Acura ever built" is also a disappointing ad campaign to me.
Anyone can build a car with a lot of HP, so this ad is lacking. The new TL is extremely sophisticated (just drive one to find out) and I think Acura should show many more aspects of this car in it's launch ads. Power doesn't distinguish you in a market flooded with high powered cars. They should be talking about their advanced tech, SH-AWD, superb quality, ect...
Old 12-12-08, 08:43 AM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Somewhat ironically, considering their historical sales in recent years as the #2 Japanese luxury brand
Well when their only other competitor in the Japanese Luxury category is Infinity,, then I guess this is a no brainer. LOl!!!!
Old 12-12-08, 11:01 AM
newr
Lexus Champion

If you spent millions to build a state of the art museum knowing that there is nothing worth to display. How stupid is that?
Old 12-12-08, 12:15 PM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by encore888
Somewhat ironically, considering their historical sales in recent years as the #2 Japanese luxury brand, they logically could take the #2 spot in prestige, image etc. in this category. But instead it's kinda a wash, just as the recent customer retention numbers and other stats indicate. Funny thing is that the Acura TL ads recently remind me of the Infiniti ones...a metaphoric display of something (diver/wave/etc) followed by the car. The current styling is polarizing, but there is potential here. I'd start by getting a better slogan. "Advance" is nice but too short.
Agreed, I believe their best tagline was "Precision Crafted Performance", but without an NSX this really doesn't work anymore.

Quick Reply: Acura aims to deliver big-league luxury