Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Saturn: Not dead yet?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-08, 08:32 PM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As usual, mmarshall is right on the money. To those who weren't in the car-buying market in the early 90's, there is simply no way to understand what Saturn had going for it. I don't mean that insultingly, but only as a fact--there really is no way to understand it because there's been nothing like it since.

Saturn NAILED everything, right from the start. The cars were very well-built, attractive, priced well, and sold by dealers who understood customer service. Technical and design innovation won awards and sales alike. The mystique of the brand was all-encompassing, and mmarshall is correct that there was a cult-like following.

Where I start to disagree with him is that Saturn started to lose the magic even before it became obvious with things like re-badging Opels. Dealerships slowly slipped back into their old, sleazy ways. The cars were built more and more cheaply, apparently due to parent GM's demands to turn a profit NOW. As always happens in corporate America, that focus on short-term profits sold out the future, and now here we are.
Old 12-12-08, 10:34 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Iceman
As usual, mmarshall is right on the money. To those who weren't in the car-buying market in the early 90's, there is simply no way to understand what Saturn had going for it. I don't mean that insultingly, but only as a fact--there really is no way to understand it because there's been nothing like it since.

Saturn NAILED everything, right from the start. The cars were very well-built, attractive, priced well, and sold by dealers who understood customer service. Technical and design innovation won awards and sales alike. The mystique of the brand was all-encompassing, and mmarshall is correct that there was a cult-like following.

Where I start to disagree with him is that Saturn started to lose the magic even before it became obvious with things like re-badging Opels. Dealerships slowly slipped back into their old, sleazy ways. The cars were built more and more cheaply, apparently due to parent GM's demands to turn a profit NOW. As always happens in corporate America, that focus on short-term profits sold out the future, and now here we are.
Thanks, Iceman....I see you are in sunny CA now.

I had a 1999 SL-2 myself (one of the old, small plastic-body sedans).....ordered it special. Except for the typical tendency of GM brake rotors to warp a little even with easy use, and one or two plastic dash pieces that had to be re-attached, it was bulletproof. It had some of the best primary gauges I've seen on a car. The service people, with one exception, were also exceptional (I often change my own oil, but it was difficult to reach the oil filter in those cars).

I also ordered a 2001 bright-yellow Saturn SC-2 (special-edition) coupe that turned out unacceptable to me for chassis shimmy problems and rattles. Both the service people and I worked repeatedly on the car (we put our heads together), with no improvements. Saturn, faithful to its 30-day money-back policy with no car damage, refunded every penny...even the sales tax, which it did not have to do under its contract. I then went out and got a Lexus IS300....and later joined CL.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-12-08 at 10:41 AM.