Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Honda #1 in Customer Retention

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-08, 05:14 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by cjf_moraga
This comment is becoming outmoded. MB did go through a quality bad patch in the 2000-2005 period but has made major improvements more recently, not only anecdotally - even Consumer Reports (latest 2009) has 6 MB models (all core: S, C, E, SL, M, SLK) now at average reliability or above and marked as recommended buys. (There were none last year) MB does deserve some credit here...

Chris
MB's poor quality started long before 2000...there were some signs of it by the mid-90's.

You're correct that new M-B products are a little better now, but the real test will come when they are 3-4 years old, not brand-new or just a year old. Older M-B products had problems, year after year. It will take time to see if the new ones follow in their place, or if they will be more reliable in the long haul.
Old 12-11-08, 11:54 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Congrats to the leaders here in this study, I think it's a combination of product quality + service + lineup.
Old 12-12-08, 12:17 PM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
MB's poor quality started long before 2000...there were some signs of it by the mid-90's.

You're correct that new M-B products are a little better now, but the real test will come when they are 3-4 years old, not brand-new or just a year old. Older M-B products had problems, year after year. It will take time to see if the new ones follow in their place, or if they will be more reliable in the long haul.
Yeah I remember hearing about the quality problems around the time the 98 E-Class, and ML's came out. I remember when I first rode in my coworker's ML and was surprised at how cheap it felt in there. On the other hand, when she traded that in for one in 2006, I was amazed at how much better it got.
Old 12-12-08, 01:19 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by speed_Demo
Honda dealer service suck big time.

I was going to buy a accord over the summer, went to the dealer to look at '08 accord. One saleman asked first question "are you planning to buy today?" I have my check book in my pocket, but i told him I'm looking to buy, but not sure today. Surely, he slowly drift away. Didn't really try to sell me the accord, even though I did research about the accord, but it would've been nice if he keep some conversation going instead of standing there waiting to do the paper work.

I went across the street, Lexus dealer, treated me like king! walk away w/ the IS250 almost same price as a fully load Accord!

I bought a Ridgeline for the family, and have serval Honda products at home. But, that one experience just lost me that day. I went home, and tell some friends to go buy Lexus!!! ahah or at least go there for the free water.
I agree with this as well. Rude and arrogant are the only descriptors I have. It's almost like they are insulted when you bring it in for warranty work, as if nothing ever goes wrong with Hondas. Toyota is much better, but I've had my best sales experienced at VW dealer. Also had my worst service experiences at the same VW dealer. Go figure.
Old 12-12-08, 03:53 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

I would argue that Toyota and Honda owners purchase in an appliance mentality. Hey, my last Accord/Camry worked well, why not get another? In addition, while they have excellent reliability, I think this is only 1/2 of the equation because when they DO have an issue, the manufacturer is quick to stand behind the car. Not so much with other brands.....

Yet luxury car owners (Lexus/MB/BMW) are in a constant "what can I move up to next". Lexus, MB, and BMW offer a very nice lineup of cars to start with (ES/C-Class/3-series) and a sweet progression of cars to move up to. Acura unfortunately does not have this type of progression in their lineup (alternatively, you could use the appliance argument with the Acura lineup as well).
Old 12-13-08, 01:31 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The #4 position of Mercedes-Benz is interesting, considering their noted unreliability and the grief they cause many of their owners. This may be a case of what Mike was talking about, above, in the "sheep mentality" comment.......people buying (and repeat-buying) the brand with little thought to anything other than just "image".
...Or it means people appreciate the rich way a Mercedes-Benz is built, appreciate the small details those in Stuttgart think to include, appreciate the taut, tuetonic feel of the car. You cannot approach this type of question with the assumption that all the buyer cares about (and what therefore drives their buying decision) is "reliability" of cars. If that were the case, not only would the Germans fall to the bottom of this list, but the resale lists as well.
Old 12-13-08, 02:58 PM
LexFather

The Mercedes you describe were built in the 1980s and 1990s, not the ones today. Mercedes has cut costs like everyone else and loyal owners will tell anyone over and over they don't build them like they used to.