Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Union balks and $14B auto bailout dies in Senate

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-08, 03:53 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I ask you this. If the union is dissolved, do you honestly think that solves Ford/GM/Chryslers problems and they will become profitable?
I want to state that I never suggested that the union should be dissolved. It is blatantly obvious, that the executive at GM and Chryco are so incredibly inept that there had better be a union to protect their workers.

However, it is the disparity that exists between the GFC union workers and foreign manufacturers' non-union workers that must change for GFC to remain viable and competitive.

The argument that has been presented several times in defense of the UAW workers is that the $70 includes benefits and the actual hourly wage of union vs. non-union is within $1 at around $30. The bottom line is that GFC must still pay the benefits and it is that expense that is crippling to them. So if a Toyota non-union employee is earning $40 including benefits and a GFC union employee is earning $70, GFC is incurring labor costs of $30 per hour, per employee. The actual paycheck of both employees may appear similar as far as take home pay is concerned, but the overall expense is killing GFC.

Those defending the UAW, haven't pointed out the justification for paying an employee that is no longer working, up to 95% of their salary for up to 4 years.

Again, I don't suggest that the UAW be dissolved, but there must be a renegotiation of the existing contract to allow GFC to be competitive. The refusal of the UAW to re-examine the existing deal is essentially Gettelfinger saying that his workers would rather have no job and force their employer into bankruptcy, instead of saying we want to work and be part of the solution so that GFC can employee us in perpetuity. I wonder what the membership thinks of this?
Old 12-14-08, 04:05 PM
LexFather

Chrysler really shouldn't be in a hole. Cerebus has TONS OF CASH and refuses to invest in Chrysler. They can fix their own problem. The ***** of them to ask for a bailout!

Old 12-14-08, 07:00 PM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just read, if the White House gives them the $14 billion the Canadian government giving $2.8 billion

Now I am kicking myself if this happens, means I dropped $700-$1000 worth of stock LOL
Old 12-14-08, 08:36 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IS350jet
Of course not. Imagine, though, the unions gone, saving GFC billions of dollars to invest in better engineering, better quality materials, better quality control, etc. It has always been my belief that if we had no UAW, the US would be building the finest, most reliable cars in the world.
Imagine what? What you're imagining is just a dream, a dream that's not even remotely based in reality. Does Toyota have unions back in Japan? Why are they doing better than GM? Hint, it has little to do with "unions". nice try though