Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Nissan Phasing Out Full Size SUVs

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-08, 06:07 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Lightbulb Nissan Phasing Out Full Size SUVs

Report: Nissan phasing out production of Armada and Infiniti QX56 SUVs
Nissan is reportedly phasing out production of a number of its large vehicles at its Mississippi plant, including the Nissan Quest people mover, Nissan Armada SUV and the Armada-based Infiniti QX56. Production in the Mississippi plant will instead focus on a new large vehicle inspired by the NV2500 Concept unveiled just last month.

While Nissan is yet to confirm the demise of its fullsize SUVs, vehicles like the Armada and the Infiniti QX56 have all performed poorly in terms of sales this year, making it more and more likely that they will be dropped soon – plus the fact that strict CAFE regulations are just around the corner. Currently, the Nissan Armada is selling around half the units it did compared to last year, while the Infiniti QX56's sales are down by over a third for the year to date, reports MotorTrend.

Nevertheless, the news could just mean that Nissan will be shifting production of these models to other plants, and that the NV2500 will be joining this lineup. When Nissan unveiled the NV2500 last month, it was described as a preview of the company's entry into the North American Commercial Vehicle (CV) market.

Nissan's entrance into the commercial vehicle market may see the Japanese company sacrifice production of its poorly performing consumer SUVs and minivans, however there is still no official word from Nissan regarding this yet.

Old 12-12-08, 07:34 AM
LexFather

Correct me if I am wrong but I thought Nissan said they would move the next gen QX56 production to Japan b/c of the crappy quality here.

If its ANOTHER discontinued Infniti I am really going to ignore the brand. Ridiculous.

I actually reviewed the QX extensively (girlfriend of mine has one) and it is by FAR the WORST vehicle I have ever driven/tested. What makes it worse is the price!! I never posted it but I may now......

Looking at Nissan big truck/SUV sales, they r are completely in the toilet.

My only other thought is it might be a KNEE JERK reaction, as others are clearly still selling big SUVs. Maybe just make them better?

Old 12-12-08, 08:03 AM
kalvano
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nissan's full size SUV's suck.

They need to stick to cars and crossovers, those are great.
Old 12-12-08, 10:04 AM
Initial B
Lead Lap

good move by Infiniti, props to them for seeing the light. I hate those f'ing things.
Nissan is slowly but surely earning my respect, pretty much the opposite of what Toyota's been doing over the past 10 years
Old 12-12-08, 12:07 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

I was wondering today whats the deal with the Altima hybrid. I never see em. Can you even get em?
Old 12-12-08, 12:41 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
I was wondering today whats the deal with the Altima hybrid. I never see em. Can you even get em?

It's sold only in 8 states so they are every rare.
Old 12-12-08, 12:58 PM
Indio
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hhmmm a non union import plant down south with crappy build quality, if you believe what is posted here a non UAW plant should have top notch build quality.
Old 12-12-08, 01:05 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Good, smart move by Infiniti/Nissan. The QX and Armada were awful vehicles and just took up space and wasted money and resources and lowered their reputations. I would much rather see a CLS type sports sedan, v8 lux coupe, smaller sports sedan, sports car from Infiniti then some silly stupid giant SUV that does not fit or belong in their lineup. Giant expensive gas guzzling SUV especially ones as crappy as the QX and Armada are just never going to be really popular again with gas prices, fuel econ standards, and the economy the way they are, I think many learned their lessons after the past year or two.
Old 12-12-08, 01:07 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Indio
Hhmmm a non union import plant down south with crappy build quality, if you believe what is posted here a non UAW plant should have top notch build quality.
I agree, union/non union or American or non American have nothing really to do with reliability or build quality. It is the design,engineering, and materials used behind the vehicle that determines its reliability and quality not the guys putting it together on a assembly line.
Old 12-12-08, 01:15 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Correct me if I am wrong but I thought Nissan said they would move the next gen QX56 production to Japan b/c of the crappy quality here.
Have to move it back to the unionized plants back in Japan where high quality is guaranteed.
Old 12-12-08, 01:28 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Nissan has confirmed nothing about the QX but one rumor has been that they are not dropping the QX model. Just that it will shift production to Japan and be based on the next generation Patrol. A good move if they do it, I say.