Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Oil Changes: Every 5, 10, 15...

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-08, 05:18 AM
luxury1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Oil Changes: Every 5, 10, 15...

Are oil changes really necessary every 5,000 miles? Is it really that bad to wait until 10,000 miles? Also, what do you guys think of the 10 minute oil change places?

The reason I ask is because someone said I am crazy to take my cars to the dealership for just the oil change services. He also stated that he didn't believe that you have to change the oil every 5k as every 10k is perfectly fine.

I just thought I would float this out here to see what you guys thought.
Old 12-13-08, 07:11 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

Depends on what kind of vehicle you have, how you drive it, where you live (temp, conditions) and the kind of oil you are using.

If the dealer is doing it for free, then I see no problem in taking it to the dealer.

Best approach is to learn how to change the oil yourself. I did mine for my RX300 about two weeks ago right in my driveway and took the oil over to an auto parts store for disposal. No high dealer costs or anything. Plan to do this on my gf's expedition later this week (just used the Internet to find the location and type of filter).
Old 12-13-08, 07:32 AM
kalvano
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You'll get a lot of different opinions, but really, it's pretty cheap to do and it's an easy, easy way to make sure you car keeps operating as it should.

I would do it every 5,000 or 7,500 and have the peace of mind.
Old 12-13-08, 08:41 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

run a blackstone labs oil analysis if you want to know your real interval
Old 12-13-08, 11:05 AM
luxury1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The vehicle I was considering doing this for is the RX330. Do you have to jack up the car or can you do it by just sliding underneath?
Old 12-13-08, 12:33 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by luxury1
The vehicle I was considering doing this for is the RX330. Do you have to jack up the car or can you do it by just sliding underneath?
Depends on large of a person you are, but I was able to just slide under my RX330 to change the oil and my RX was lowered. I am; however, 5'4" and a out 140 lbs so I'm not too big and fat yet I would say a non lowered RX would be easy to slide under.
Old 12-13-08, 02:48 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

5 months/5000 miles, with regular petroleum oil, is OK if you drive in mild temperatures, fairly long trips, low traffic conditions, paved roads, and regularly get the engine good and warm. But stop-and-go driving, lots of cold starts/warmups, dusty roads, short trips, and extreme temperatures call for it more often, say, at 3/3000 or 4/4000. Many automakers recommend 3500 miles for severe conditions.

For synthetic oil, you can go a little further, but remember......even if the oil itself doesn't break down with age, the additive packages do, and lose their effectiveness.
Old 12-13-08, 05:05 PM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ask yourself how long you are keeping the car. If you are dumping it at 50K or 60K miles, change it every 10K. If you are looking to prolong the life of the engine, and keep it for years and years, change it more often.
Old 12-13-08, 06:55 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MD350
Ask yourself how long you are keeping the car. If you are dumping it at 50K or 60K miles, change it every 10K. If you are looking to prolong the life of the engine, and keep it for years and years, change it more often.
Well, I ain't buying a used car from you!!
Old 12-13-08, 07:08 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by luxury1
Are oil changes really necessary every 5,000 miles? Is it really that bad to wait until 10,000 miles? Also, what do you guys think of the 10 minute oil change places?

The reason I ask is because someone said I am crazy to take my cars to the dealership for just the oil change services. He also stated that he didn't believe that you have to change the oil every 5k as every 10k is perfectly fine.

I just thought I would float this out here to see what you guys thought.
I'd never go 10K between oil changes, that's crazy! Follow the manufacturer's maintenance schedule (usually 5K). A lot of people still swear by 3K intervals.

There's no reason to go to the dealer for rip-off service. Most places are comparable quality and much cheaper.
Old 12-14-08, 12:52 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I just follow the manufactueres suggested change intervals. I dont use quick lube places. I only let the dealerships touch my cars. On or off warranty. I want stuff done right. I will admit that lexus is behind on the oil life meters . BMW and a few others have already added this features to their vehicles so that oil changes are done on a more precise basis. Never to early or to late.
Old 12-14-08, 02:59 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MD350
Ask yourself how long you are keeping the car. If you are dumping it at 50K or 60K miles, change it every 10K.
Why? I don't think that's fair. You wouldn't want somebody to dump a car on YOU with a poorly-maintained engine, would you? My philosophy is to show others the same courtesy...........IMO, 10K oil changes are poor maintenance, regardless of what oil "indicators" show.
Old 12-14-08, 03:07 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I just follow the manufactueres suggested change intervals. I dont use quick lube places. I only let the dealerships touch my cars. On or off warranty. I want stuff done right. I will admit that lexus is behind on the oil life meters . BMW and a few others have already added this features to their vehicles so that oil changes are done on a more precise basis. Never to early or to late.
Those oil-change "monitors" don't impress me at all. BMW, especially when they first came out, had to replace a number of engines under warranty because the "indicators" were letting the oil go to the point where it sludged and gelled up.

Im my book, there's no substitute for common sense, a dipstick, and 3-5K oil changes. I simply won't own a car without a dipstick.
Old 12-14-08, 04:15 AM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Why? I don't think that's fair. You wouldn't want somebody to dump a car on YOU with a poorly-maintained engine, would you? My philosophy is to show others the same courtesy...........IMO, 10K oil changes are poor maintenance, regardless of what oil "indicators" show.
In that case are you suggesting Lexus recommend poor maintenance for their cars then? The exact same Lexus that are sold in the US with 5K oil change intervals are sold in Europe with 10k intervals. Same car, same engine same oil, different intervals. A cynic would say that they are pandering to US dealers keeping to 5k intervals - it's double the money for them.

I can't think of any car on sale in Europe that recommends oil changes less than 10k (Mitsubishi Evos used to be the exception). Our Audi's and BMW's oil is changed every 20k miles, same for my mother's MINI. There's nothing wrong with changing every 5k, but it's wasting money and resources when there's no need.
Old 12-14-08, 07:32 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Big Andy
In that case are you suggesting Lexus recommend poor maintenance for their cars then? The exact same Lexus that are sold in the US with 5K oil change intervals are sold in Europe with 10k intervals. Same car, same engine same oil, different intervals. A cynic would say that they are pandering to US dealers keeping to 5k intervals - it's double the money for them.

I can't think of any car on sale in Europe that recommends oil changes less than 10k (Mitsubishi Evos used to be the exception). Our Audi's and BMW's oil is changed every 20k miles, same for my mother's MINI. There's nothing wrong with changing every 5k, but it's wasting money and resources when there's no need.
That's crazy, 20K intervals? I guess they don't last that long (an engine should go 300,000 miles).

Quick Reply: Oil Changes: Every 5, 10, 15...