Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Man gives his employees $1000 if they'll buy a new Ford, Chrysler, or GM vehicle « »

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-08, 08:54 AM
LexFather

Arrow Man gives his employees $1000 if they'll buy a new Ford, Chrysler, or GM vehicle « »

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/12/13/w...gave-you-1-000

Chet Czaplicka doesn't own one of the Big 3's suppliers or run a car dealership. Instead, he is the chief executive of a blood-processing firm in the Detroit suburb of Livonia, Michigan. But like most people in that part of the country, he has several autoworkers in his family. And, perhaps more importantly, he understands how extensively the overall US. economy is enmeshed with the production of automobiles.

"I live here. My business is here. My Ma draws a pension from Ford," Czaplicka says in a recent Detroit News article. "If these companies go down, I'm screwed."

But instead of just *****ing about it, Czaplicka is doing something. He's offering each of his employees $1,000 if they'll buy a Ford, GM or Chrysler vehicle. He's looking at a $92,000 payout if every one of his workers take him up on the deal before it expires Jan. 5.

At least one of Czaplicka's company's employees has been inspired to go shopping for a Ford. The story says Sean Murtha is considering a new Ford Edge for his wife. "A thousand bucks, that's like three months of payments," says Murtha, who is with the company's Fort Lauderdale office. "We're a bit removed from the Detroit scene but it's nice we can contribute."

Old 12-14-08, 09:00 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Nice gesture.

I wonder what happens if an employee buys one of their vehicles that's built in Canada or Mexico?
Old 12-14-08, 09:44 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Nice gesture.

I wonder what happens if an employee buys one of their vehicles that's built in Canada or Mexico?
Hahaha!

Whooops!

Doesn't everyone in Michigan buy American brands anyway?

Last edited by -J-P-L-; 12-16-08 at 07:13 PM.
Old 12-15-08, 01:03 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

If he gave me 10,000 dollars it would not be enough for me to buy an american car. Sorry. I know people in that neck of the wood love their american cars, but as you move towards the coasts imports rule.
Old 12-15-08, 01:56 AM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
If he gave me 10,000 dollars it would not be enough for me to buy an american car.
funny thing is - the dealerships area already discounting them by that much.
Old 12-16-08, 05:50 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I was at a bar the other day taliking crap about the BIG 3. There was a guy at the bar who disagreed and I had to direct him to the consumers reports for the last 20 years. The funny thing is I asked him what he drives and he said it was a 2002 f150 with 38K miles on it. I guess that kind of weak usage is what is required to keep an american reliable. lol. I had a civic in college that I put 48K miles on in one year.

The people who like american cars will state their love, but when you really start showing them evidence or you discuss objective consumer rankings they dont have a leg to stand on. I guess I wouldnt want to look like a clown either.

I had a patient the other day who is a private contactor that goes to american car dealerships to teach the sales people how to sell american cars to people who prefer imports. I confessed my insane hate of all american cars ( except for a very very small handful) and the disgust with the Big 3 for screwing their customers with unreliable and inefficient cars. I explained to him that I grew up in LA where it is a NO NO to drive an american car.
After we finished taliking the guy said that I am going to be the center of his presentation, because he is teaching these sales people to sell cars to people like me. I think it was an eye opener for both of us