Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Edmunds Comparo: 2009 Nissan 370Z vs. 2008 BMW 135i

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-08, 10:56 PM
lighthalo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jracerlmn
The japanese innovate everything? You must be kidding. There are NUMEROUS examples of the japanese in ALL INDUSTRIES taking product innovation from other countries.

if you want to know innovation, look at the germans. One of the main reasons why they have electrical problems is because they're always shoving new gadgets into their cars. I wish they'd fix the quality issues tho.

Anyways, if you wanna say the japanese improve on innovations, then that's a better statement. They kaizen the crap outta even the smallest thing putting out a reliable product. But to say the germans just copy is ignorant.
i think he was being sarcastic (if you look at the quote he has in his post)

anyways, the new Z is HOT IMO

way to go.. you have the GTR and the Z.. come on toyotaaaa!! give us a new sports coupe
Old 12-16-08, 01:59 AM
jracerlmn
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you can't tell sarcasm over letters, if i offended you FKL, i'm sorry
Old 12-16-08, 07:55 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Default Vs. Cayman

You didn't used to be like this, Nissan. Up until the GT-R arrived this year, and with the exception of the 370Z's predecessor, you've spent the last decade building modest SUVs, trucks, and sedans for the masses. Sure, there have been a few hot compacts in there, but your latest Sentra SE-Rs haven't exactly set the enthusiast world ablaze. Now it's all Porsche this, Nürburgring that. It's like we don't even know you anymore. Then, just when it seems like GT-R-a-palooza is dying down, here comes the new Z. First, in spy photos, being trailed by a Porsche Cayman. Then, with Nissan's own staff calling Porsche's baby coupe out as a benchmark. All right, we'll bite.

Read on
http://www.motivemag.com/pub/feature...Cayman_S.shtml

Last edited by speedflex; 12-16-08 at 08:11 PM.
Old 12-16-08, 08:34 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jracerlmn
The japanese innovate everything? You must be kidding. There are NUMEROUS examples of the japanese in ALL INDUSTRIES taking product innovation from other countries.

if you want to know innovation, look at the germans. One of the main reasons why they have electrical problems is because they're always shoving new gadgets into their cars. I wish they'd fix the quality issues tho.

Anyways, if you wanna say the japanese improve on innovations, then that's a better statement. They kaizen the crap outta even the smallest thing putting out a reliable product. But to say the germans just copy is ignorant.
No, no offense taken...You proved my point.
Old 12-16-08, 11:31 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

IMO the germans are the most innovative, but the japanese make it reliable and fine tune it . The ultimate car would be designed by the italians, engineered by the germans, and built by the japanese.

I will admit I only buy japanese. Thats not pretentious because they are cheaper than the german cars. Its wise not stuck up or dorky. Again, to each his own
Old 12-16-08, 11:37 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Tangerine

Well that was a good laugh.
[QUOTE=Bean;4086782]Oh god, here we go again.

Who gives a flip if they're Japanese or not? You're no different than the BMW dorks for liking the car because its German.

I like japanese cars because they are the most reliable usually. Have been for decades. Its preference. Just like the people who only buy american.

people who buy german spend alot more for no real extra features and less reliability. Thats why people clown them. Buying japanese is just smarter imo. to each his own
Old 12-17-08, 06:04 PM
Tangerine
Driver

[QUOTE=I8ABMR;4092360]
Originally Posted by Bean
Oh god, here we go again.

Who gives a flip if they're Japanese or not? You're no different than the BMW dorks for liking the car because its German.

I like japanese cars because they are the most reliable usually. Have been for decades. Its preference. Just like the people who only buy american.

people who buy german spend alot more for no real extra features and less reliability. Thats why people clown them. Buying japanese is just smarter imo. to each his own
Yes its preference and I know that, but to say that the IS-F and G37 pwns its competition because its Japanese based is plain ignorant. Dunno how to put that in any other words.

My daily driver is a Japanese, my daily driver's daily driver is Japanese, my weekend cruiser is a German. Guess which one has given me more issue, the Japanese one.

About the Germans being innovators, they do tend to over engineer things. Take for example Mercedes, first company to have airbags, stability control, crumple zone, disc brakes, ABS, multilink rear suspension, air suspension and much more. Lets see a Japanese company do that.
Old 12-17-08, 10:05 PM
superchan7
Lead Lap

I wonder what the fanatics at the BMW forums have to say about this comparo...
Old 12-17-08, 10:43 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jujharoo
Hmmm That's strange. Z probably has for more potential and it certainly has far bigger after market support.
you will always have a greater tuning potential with a turbo set up. NA is cool, but limiting. ECU is probably the best you can do with a NA motor as well as the standard air flow mods. Turbos can have the boost added, plus airflow mods , especially on the exhaust side of things produce towering increases in hp relative to putting an exhaust and intake on the normally aspirated 370 Z. I would still go with the Z because the 135 is for smaller drivers
Old 12-17-08, 10:48 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

[QUOTE=Tangerine;4094338][QUOTE=I8ABMR;4092360]

Yes its preference and I know that, but to say that the IS-F and G37 pwns its competition because its Japanese based is plain ignorant. Dunno how to put that in any other words."

when did I say it owns the competition because its japanese? read before you call someone ignorant. I buy japanese cars strictly because they are usually the most reliable cars on the road. your ignorance is obvious for being so unaware. Look it up. Theres 20 years of objective info and rankings that says buying japanese is usually the best bet for your car to remain headache free. This is not a place that anyone can argue. Its a fact. This is what has created a huge population of buyers just like me. While the germans and the americans were thinking that they will be able to sell cars on name recognition the japanese were striving to make it reliable. Not flashy, faster, or more exspensive.

For 40k I can get a 330hp G37 sedan or a 330/328 with around 250 hp. what a joke!!! I used to have a plate on my car that said I8ABMR. I used to dust guys in 330/328's and wave at them from the sun roof as I pulled away. Thats why I like japanese cars. Great power, reliability, and they give you alot for the money, enough to kick a bimmers ***. LOL. I never lost a race against a bimmer in my G35. Never. hence the awesome license plate. So you just dusted the guy who is driving a more exspensive car, and who also thinks he is better because his car is more exspensive. priceless. At the next light they wont even look over at you because they are so upset. LOL Its great fun. Kind of like killing a viper or corvette in a tuned EVO. Its great IMO.

In the end everyone buys what they like, but for the money ( and cost is usually the main factor when buying a car. we all have budgets) its very difficult to beat the japanese.

Last edited by I8ABMR; 12-17-08 at 11:07 PM.
Old 12-18-08, 08:16 AM
LexFather

^^ and the slower 328 has beat the G35 sedan in every single review. The older 330 has beaten the G35 in every single review (sedan).

HP is not everything.

I don't see how the 135 is for smaller drivers when it sits far more upright and has a backseat. I fit in it fine.

There is no denying that Japense cars are more reliable than Germans but NIssan quality has ALWAYS been behind BMW, sometimes far behind. Nissan is Japanese but far from being reliable.

BOth are great cars.

Guys can we please quit with the personal remarks. Thanks.

Old 12-18-08, 08:27 AM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
HP is not everything.
That argument only works when the hp difference between the two cars isn't much. If that's indeed the case then we would never see a 335i because 330i is "powerful enough".

I still remember the C&D comparison between the IS350 and 330i, pretty much C&D had to cheat in order to make the 330i the winner by merely a single point. One can easily see that the editors were taken away by the much faster IS350 in that comparo.
Old 12-18-08, 11:06 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
For 40k I can get a 330hp G37 sedan or a 330/328 with around 250 hp. what a joke!!! I used to have a plate on my car that said I8ABMR. I used to dust guys in 330/328's and wave at them from the sun roof as I pulled away. Thats why I like japanese cars. Great power, reliability, and they give you alot for the money, enough to kick a bimmers ***. LOL. I never lost a race against a bimmer in my G35. Never. hence the awesome license plate. So you just dusted the guy who is driving a more exspensive car, and who also thinks he is better because his car is more exspensive. priceless. At the next light they wont even look over at you because they are so upset. LOL Its great fun. Kind of like killing a viper or corvette in a tuned EVO. Its great IMO.
Dude, how old are you? You wave at cars that you KNOW you're significantly faster than and race anyway?

How do you know the guy thinks he is better because his car cost more? Is there a hot blonde in the passenger seat? Why does it have to be who is "better" than who? Man, I don't like BMW either but I'm not going to behave like a little prude.

Just because your car is faster and you paid less for your car doesn't mean your car is better. Do you think my 240sx is better than your G35? Because I guarantee you there's not a single performance category that you can compete in against it. I also have less than $5k invested in it including the cost of the car.
Old 12-18-08, 11:13 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Bean
Dude, how old are you? You wave at cars that you KNOW you're significantly faster than and race anyway?

How do you know the guy thinks he is better because his car cost more? Is there a hot blonde in the passenger seat? Why does it have to be who is "better" than who? Man, I don't like BMW either but I'm not going to behave like a little prude.

Just because your car is faster and you paid less for your car doesn't mean your car is better. Do you think my 240sx is better than your G35? Because I guarantee you there's not a single performance category that you can compete in against it. I also have less than $5k invested in it including the cost of the car.
Well said.

Had a guy in a new 328 pull up to me at light while I was in the SC last summer he looked over and said "nice toyota" in a saracastic way to insult me. Light changed I let him take off like I expected and then took him at top of second, dude won't even look over at the next light lol.

I8ABMR all I'm saying don't be one of those people about who's better than who or my car is better than yours etc. Well at least your tags don't say IEATBMRS because I know a few that will gladly run you ha ha.
Old 12-18-08, 11:27 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
^^ and the slower 328 has beat the G35 sedan in every single review. The older 330 has beaten the G35 in every single review (sedan).

HP is not everything.

I don't see how the 135 is for smaller drivers when it sits far more upright and has a backseat. I fit in it fine.

There is no denying that Japense cars are more reliable than Germans but NIssan quality has ALWAYS been behind BMW, sometimes far behind. Nissan is Japanese but far from being reliable.

BOth are great cars.

Guys can we please quit with the personal remarks. Thanks.
True but Infiniti is not really Nissan NA is it? The G series and M series are far more reliable than the 3 and 5 series. Lexus is the really the only manufacturer that has consistently been more reliable than Infiniti.

Quick Reply: Edmunds Comparo: 2009 Nissan 370Z vs. 2008 BMW 135i