Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Edmunds Comparo: 2009 Nissan 370Z vs. 2008 BMW 135i

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-08, 11:51 AM
Tangerine
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
The ISF and G37 in my eyes are better than the german competetion 3 series and M3 in my eyes because they are japanese.
So what do you mean by that then? Hmm.....?

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
^^ and the slower 328 has beat the G35 sedan in every single review. The older 330 has beaten the G35 in every single review (sedan).

HP is not everything.

I don't see how the 135 is for smaller drivers when it sits far more upright and has a backseat. I fit in it fine.

There is no denying that Japense cars are more reliable than Germans but NIssan quality has ALWAYS been behind BMW, sometimes far behind. Nissan is Japanese but far from being reliable.

BOth are great cars.

Guys can we please quit with the personal remarks. Thanks.
Fully agree, there have been some issues with Nissan's transmissions but I'll save that for another argument.

If I did not see the Japanese cars for being reliable I wouldn't have 2 as my daily drivers. People who read and can comprehend would have spotted that.
Old 12-18-08, 12:28 PM
MI350_55
Pole Position

The new Z definitely looks HOT and I'm sure there will be plenty of aftermarket support for it just like the 350.

Speaking from experience, I will never, ever buy another German car! They sure have nice styling, but that's the only compliment they'll ever get from me.

Last edited by MI350_55; 12-18-08 at 12:38 PM.
Old 12-18-08, 12:33 PM
rogers2
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Never say never. You sound like me a year ago. I admire Nissan for taken on Porsche to a certain point. Now Porsche is going to step up a little more. What's so funny its Nissan not Infiniti?
Old 12-18-08, 01:11 PM
robloc93
Lexus Test Driver

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by jracerlmn
The japanese innovate everything? You must be kidding. There are NUMEROUS examples of the japanese in ALL INDUSTRIES taking product innovation from other countries.

if you want to know innovation, look at the germans. One of the main reasons why they have electrical problems is because they're always shoving new gadgets into their cars. I wish they'd fix the quality issues tho.

Anyways, if you wanna say the japanese improve on innovations, then that's a better statement. They kaizen the crap outta even the smallest thing putting out a reliable product. But to say the germans just copy is ignorant.
I haven't read through the whole thread yet but I'm pretty sure he's being sarcastic.....
Old 12-18-08, 01:33 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Tangerine
So what do you mean by that then? Hmm.....?

Fully agree, there have been some issues with Nissan's transmissions but I'll save that for another argument.

If I did not see the Japanese cars for being reliable I wouldn't have 2 as my daily drivers. People who read and can comprehend would have spotted that.
Nissan transmissions? Besides the GTR, Nissan has had pretty good trannies. You want to talk bad trannies, go talk to Honda (remember the TL). Even Camry's have had tranny problems recently.
Old 12-18-08, 01:49 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Man, what asteroid hit this thread and knocked it so far off course?

It's about the 135 vs. the 370Z (and for added fun, 370Z vs. Cayman, the Z's principal bogey).
Old 12-18-08, 02:15 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by speedflex

It's about the 135 vs. the 370Z (and for added fun, 370Z vs. Cayman, the Z's principal bogey).
Agreed. The 370 is bad to the bone! It'll have a slick new 6-speed that rev-matches (yes...it can be turned off) and a 7-speed auto that is getting RAVE reviews. And the Jatco designed 7-speed should prove very reliable as it was designed for a V8 producing 390hp (from the FX). For ~$30k, you can get a Cayman S proxy that has Japanese reliability. Looks like a winner to me.
Old 12-18-08, 02:23 PM
Tangerine
Driver

Originally Posted by EZZ
Nissan transmissions? Besides the GTR, Nissan has had pretty good trannies. You want to talk bad trannies, go talk to Honda (remember the TL). Even Camry's have had tranny problems recently.
http://www.roadandtrack.com/article....rticle_id=2212

Ive encountered a few Nissan CVT transmissions that had issues, not sure if the newer models have been fixed or not since i left the garage business.

The Type-S of the TL had those issues and had TSB for them
02-027 (TSB; warranty extension to 7yrs/100K miles)
03-002 (TSB; 3rd clutch pack worn)
04-020 (TSB; 2nd gear inspection)
04V176000, P30/P31 (Safety Recall document)

My shop replaced one cause the owner wasn't aware of the TSB.

They also had issues in their Integras/Civics with weak syncros and grinding in their manual transmissions.

The transmission flare that the Camry encounters are in their early 6th generation transmissions, it applies to their V6 models.

The 3000GT had issues with their transfer cases, earlier Ford Explorers etc. Lots of car companies have or had issues with their transmissions. But not all, hence the reason I said some.
Old 12-18-08, 02:33 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by speedflex

lol, I was thinking the same thing. The 370 bottom line is a great achievement and amazing they lowered weight and kept the base price at 30k.

The usual Cayman S is pretty much twice that much. THe Z is much cheaper to modify than the Cayman.

I like the 135 too, it might be my favorite BMW right now.....egads!

Old 12-21-08, 10:00 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Bean
Dude, how old are you? You wave at cars that you KNOW you're significantly faster than and race anyway?

How do you know the guy thinks he is better because his car cost more? Is there a hot blonde in the passenger seat? Why does it have to be who is "better" than who? Man, I don't like BMW either but I'm not going to behave like a little prude.

Just because your car is faster and you paid less for your car doesn't mean your car is better. Do you think my 240sx is better than your G35? Because I guarantee you there's not a single performance category that you can compete in against it. I also have less than $5k invested in it including the cost of the car.
you are funny. My old G35 was tuned and would **** on your 240 . It was in super street magazine . It wasnt a rims and exhaust kind of G35. Even if you were running an sr20 with some mods I would still kill it. My ride was built and topped off with a mean *** custom tune on the ECU and a nice big bump in the red line . My old cars dynos at 281-283 whp. Thats alot better than the 231- 235 stock and thats with no Forced induction. NA tune with that kind of power shows you I know how to dial in a car.

also I would race the clowns in the 3 series bimmers because I knew I could embarrass them and they would always initiate some kind of race after reading my plates. I always made sure to pull in front of them to **** them off with the plates. It was awesome. I got so many complimets on the car and the license plate every where I went. With the car tuned the way it was , eating bimmers was easy and delicious . seriously sweet and delicious

also generally we always, as enthusiasts, like beating out more exspensive cars with cheaper tuned cars. Its the point of tuning. It starts from the G35 to the 3 series to the Vette and 911, to the GTR Vs the world, etc. I am sure you can appreciate this especially if you drive a 240 that you think can run with a tuned G35

Last edited by I8ABMR; 12-21-08 at 10:22 PM.
Old 12-21-08, 11:28 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

you are funny. My old G35 was tuned and would **** on your 240 . It was in super street magazine . It wasnt a rims and exhaust kind of G35. Even if you were running an sr20 with some mods I would still kill it. My ride was built and topped off with a mean *** custom tune on the ECU and a nice big bump in the red line . My old cars dynos at 281-283 whp. Thats alot better than the 231- 235 stock and thats with no Forced induction. NA tune with that kind of power shows you I know how to dial in a car.

also I would race the clowns in the 3 series bimmers because I knew I could embarrass them and they would always initiate some kind of race after reading my plates. I always made sure to pull in front of them to **** them off with the plates. It was awesome. I got so many complimets on the car and the license plate every where I went. With the car tuned the way it was , eating bimmers was easy and delicious . seriously sweet and delicious

also generally we always, as enthusiasts, like beating out more exspensive cars with cheaper tuned cars. Its the point of tuning. It starts from the G35 to the 3 series to the Vette and 911, to the GTR Vs the world, etc. I am sure you can appreciate this especially if you drive a 240 that you think can run with a tuned G35
Oh man...First gen G35 competing with Corvettes and 911s?

G35 was a nice car, but it was no BMW 330i, let alone a tuned 330i. Those "clowns" you speak of in the BMW were the same people Infiniti went to try and take away. They did a great job, the G35 was a great car, but it wasn't, and really still isn't (g37), quite up to the impossible standards set by those in Munich. The 3-Series is simply undoubtedly the benchmark of compact sport sedans, bar none. And really, any "modded" G35 would still never be a true M3, even though the prices would more than likely be shockingly similar (after modding the G up to be a real M3 fighter).

The G has always, always, been remarked as "less thought out" than the BMW 3. And really, it would be shocking if the 3 wasn't on top, seeing as how long BMW has been refining it. You have to look at these things from an objective viewpoint, not a "it's Japanese so eat east German eurotrash" one. Those Germans know how to build a car that drives, which is why Nissan benchmarked their cars for not just the G, but the GT-R.,

Last edited by FKL; 12-21-08 at 11:33 PM.
Old 12-22-08, 03:31 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

I have noticed that since I got my M3. I just can't seem to mind my own business anymore. Everyone wants a piece of me including beat up trucks and rice civics. You name it, and they all want to race. Ridiculous!
Old 12-22-08, 05:08 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

What were the specs on your G35 and 1/4 mile times. If I'm reading right your car dynoed 281-283 whp. And you're saying that would spank a 240 with a SR? Do you have any vids of these previous runs against bimmers or anyone else?

Sorry to go OT mods.