Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Edmunds Comparo: 2009 Nissan 370Z vs. 2008 BMW 135i

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-08, 10:24 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Edmunds Comparo: 2009 Nissan 370Z vs. 2008 BMW 135i

When the 2008 BMW 135i came to us, we found it to be one of the purest expressions of the BMW character since the 1971 BMW 2002 tii. Now that the novelty has worn off a bit and we've driven one for close to 15,000 miles, we still think it's a brilliant car. With a long-legged engine that's as happy at 2,000 rpm as it is at 7,000 rpm, this BMW is destined to continue to win comparison tests and conquest buyers for years to come.

The 2009 Nissan 370Z achieves the same sort of thing on the Nissan side. It's so improved in every way over the 350Z that it comes off like a completely different car. Think of the 350Z as a really long prototyping program or maybe an elaborate focus group process. It might have taken six years to work out the kinks, but man, was it worth it. It is both sports car and sport coupe, just as in Mr. K's original concept for the 1970 Datsun 240Z and very much as the BMW M3 has evolved. And it wins this comparison test.

We'll even go so far as to say that the 2009 Nissan 370Z now raises the standard for the sport coupe segment to a new level of affordable excellence. Its accessible performance alone is worthy of status as a benchmark. Its looks alone will bring people to a Nissan showroom. And the combination of the Z-car's reasonable price and fuel -efficiency (22 mpg EPA combined) will certainly get your attention.

The 2009 Nissan 370Z has the whole benchmark package wrapped up with a bow: price, exterior design, interior packaging, performance, features and that X-factor that makes you just want to go out and drive one, and drive it hard. Thinking of the Z-car as a sports car is one thing, but we can honestly say that there's not another sport coupe that can touch the new Z. Dare to compare.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...hotopanel..1#2
Old 12-15-08, 01:10 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I love how the japanese cars have been setting the benchmarks in their respective classes. Started with the NSX, now we have the GTR , EVO, STI, Supra, 350Z ,and the 370Z. The ISF and G37 in my eyes are better than the german competetion 3 series and M3 in my eyes because they are japanese.
Old 12-15-08, 01:16 AM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They are both excellent sports car. I can't wait for a bigger comparison test with the involvement of 370Z, 135i, Evo X, and STI.
Old 12-15-08, 01:48 AM
Tangerine
Driver

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
The ISF and G37 in my eyes are better than the german competetion 3 series and M3 in my eyes because they are japanese.

Well that was a good laugh.
Old 12-15-08, 02:50 AM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

does the Z have a semi automatic? i know you can downshift without the clutch.
But i'd prefer a pdk transmission
Old 12-15-08, 09:22 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The ISF and G37 in my eyes are better than the german competetion 3 series and M3 in my eyes because they are japanese.
Oh god, here we go again.

Who gives a flip if they're Japanese or not? You're no different than the BMW dorks for liking the car because its German.

OT: I find it funny all the comparisons of the Z to the Cayman S. The Porsche is just as fast as the Nissan and runs a 72-73mph slalom. I don't get why they're comparing the two cars in the realm of handling.

That being said.... For $30k, the 370z is a helluva deal. That interior looks great. I definitely want one. I did make a promise of no car loans until I'm out of grad school though.

Last edited by Bean; 12-15-08 at 09:27 AM.
Old 12-15-08, 09:46 AM
Initial B
Lead Lap

I really wish the new 370 was a 2+2 (like the MkIV Supra), had a targa (or at least a sunroof), and was turbo. Would be the perfect car. Unfortunately, it's been 11 years since we've been offered that. Can't wait to drive one tho
Old 12-15-08, 09:49 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Both great cars. I would take the Z for looks but the 135i for modding potential.
Old 12-15-08, 10:24 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

at least the 370Z doesnt look like an econobox
Old 12-15-08, 10:28 AM
S8B
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dunnojack
does the Z have a semi automatic? i know you can downshift without the clutch.
But i'd prefer a pdk transmission
It's not a semi-automatic. It's a true manual with a software-based rev-matching feature which can be turned off or on.

If Nissan was stupid enough not to offer a true manual for the Z, they would lose half of their potential customers.
Old 12-15-08, 10:30 AM
S8B
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by cherplex
Both great cars. I would take the Z for looks but the 135i for modding potential.
The 135i has great potential since turbo's can be easily pushed to ~400 RWHP.

But one thing I found very surprising was how great the VQ37VHR responds to NA modifications. A few guys over at Myg37.com are pushing as much as 330 RWHP on full bolts ons + tune. (Bone stock on a dynojet, they typically do 275 rwhp). I myself was very skeptical until I continued doing research on that engine.
Old 12-15-08, 11:22 AM
Jujharoo
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by cherplex
Hmmm That's strange. Z probably has for more potential and it certainly has far bigger after market support.
Old 12-15-08, 11:34 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Jujharoo
Hmmm That's strange. Z probably has for more potential and it certainly has far bigger after market support.
One platform is NA and one is already factory TT. Guess which one will get the best bang for the buck once the modding starts. Now you could put Nitrous on the Z but I wouldn't. There will be aftermarket turbo kits for the new Z sooner or later if there aren't already but I rather start with a factory TT setup.
Old 12-15-08, 09:05 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

I love how the japanese cars have been setting the benchmarks in their respective classes. Started with the NSX, now we have the GTR , EVO, STI, Supra, 350Z ,and the 370Z. The ISF and G37 in my eyes are better than the german competetion 3 series and M3 in my eyes because they are japanese.

Yeah those Germans don't know how to build cars. Terrible interior quality, terrible driving dyanmics, and to top it all off - they are all ugly crap. I know, the Japanese innovate everything, do everything the best. The Germans just copy copy copy.
Old 12-15-08, 10:27 PM
jracerlmn
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FKL
Yeah those Germans don't know how to build cars. Terrible interior quality, terrible driving dyanmics, and to top it all off - they are all ugly crap. I know, the Japanese innovate everything, do everything the best. The Germans just copy copy copy.
The japanese innovate everything? You must be kidding. There are NUMEROUS examples of the japanese in ALL INDUSTRIES taking product innovation from other countries.

if you want to know innovation, look at the germans. One of the main reasons why they have electrical problems is because they're always shoving new gadgets into their cars. I wish they'd fix the quality issues tho.

Anyways, if you wanna say the japanese improve on innovations, then that's a better statement. They kaizen the crap outta even the smallest thing putting out a reliable product. But to say the germans just copy is ignorant.

Quick Reply: Edmunds Comparo: 2009 Nissan 370Z vs. 2008 BMW 135i