Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

A little bit of negative camber never hurt anyone.

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-08, 05:26 PM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave600hL
As opposed to not spending money that some people obiously don't have to mod a car in a fashion they feel in line with their style of moding? You see that is your opinion, you think putting a lot of time and effort into modding a car makes you an enthusiast. If I wanted to to I could go and do all that stuff these guys are doing and not even break a sweat, it would be as easy as putting a fake blow off valve on my car, all I would have to do is say to my local tuner "I want this done to my car and I will pay you X amount of dollars and I will be back to pick it up in two weeks." Does that make me an enthusiast? I just find yours and others statements hypocritical, you say I think that my way of thinking is right when you sit here doing the exact same thing, accusing people who put fake blow off valves on their car as non enthusiast's, when the fact of the matter is they may not have the money to wack a big turbo/intercooler/blowoff valve. How about you get off your high horse, at least I only disagree with people for their taste and not their ecconomic situation, big difference in my book.

So what, that is what they want to do with their car and if you think it is stupid or impratical you just like many others with say so.

The only thing I am having difficulty with is your double standards, I judge purely on what I see as good taste in my opinion. You on the other hand are trying to put people in categories and literaly looking down upon them when they don't fit into what you consider an "enthusiast", whatever bakes your cake I suppose. I personaly don't care and I will continue to say what I do and don't like.
it's not about how much money something costs. i don't care whether those fake bov's are $50 or $5000, it's still FAKE; it's still POSING. that's the part i don't like. i admit, i don't like posers using fake stuff to pretend they have things they don't have.
i don't care if a front and rear end conversion costs $10,000 or $1000, it's the amount of work, time , research, sweat and everything else that went into it that makes it admirable.
slow down a bit and actually read what i'm writing before you start phrasing another retort.
being an enthuusiast is not about money, i'ts about a love, appreciation and passion for anything with wheels and an engine.

i don't know where you get the idea i look down on people for not having money to spend. i don't know where you got the idea that i think people using chevy engines in fords for racing or dodge axles in toyota's for off roading are wrong. they're RIGHT! that's the way to do things in those particular instances. like i said, earlier, slow down and read before responding.
of course, after reading your response, now i see where your problem is. well, i'ts not really a problem, but anybody who can just write a check and have someone else do all the work to a project car will never appreciate the time and effort and 2nd jobs that the rest of us have to deal with to build our own project cars. that's why you can post pics of someone's pride and joy for your own amusement; to make fun of it.
Old 12-18-08, 05:32 PM
BigVIPness
The Green Grundel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I have never seen a VIP car with camber like that.
Then you have never seen a picture of a VIP car meet in japan.......
Old 12-18-08, 05:40 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To each his own......

VIP for life!
Old 12-18-08, 05:50 PM
Caoboy
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BigVIPness
For reals.

It's a trend to mod the control arms to camber the wheel a lot, but it's only at the 'parked' height. When they pop up at ride height they pop up to an 'acceptable' amount of camber.

Most of the guys that are hardcore on coilovers only do enough to acheive tsuraichi, and have crazy spring rates that are like 30k/26k. These ones drive super low, literally 1/4" off the ground, and deal with scraping on super flat roads. No driveways, no speed bumps, no roads they don't know.
Old 12-18-08, 07:13 PM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 19psi
it's not about how much money something costs. i don't care whether those fake bov's are $50 or $5000, it's still FAKE; it's still POSING. that's the part i don't like. i admit, i don't like posers using fake stuff to pretend they have things they don't have.
i don't care if a front and rear end conversion costs $10,000 or $1000, it's the amount of work, time , research, sweat and everything else that went into it that makes it admirable.
slow down a bit and actually read what i'm writing before you start phrasing another retort.
being an enthuusiast is not about money, i'ts about a love, appreciation and passion for anything with wheels and an engine.
But see I am reading your posts, but you are not adressing the actual problem, some of these guys who put fake stuff on their car can't afford to have a turbo/intercooler/blow off valve so they make do with what their is and use a fake. Come on , if a fake blow off valve cost $5K don't you think those guys would put a turbo on the car instead? I was born at night but it was not last night...

As for the time , effort and sweat involved, again if I take it to a tuner that does this kind of stuff I could have that broken axel look with effort of looking up their number in the phone book. Making a car look like it is another model is as fake as putting an intercooler on a car that does not have a turbo. How about this car hey, https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...-lexrolla.html

Originally Posted by 19psi
i don't know where you get the idea i look down on people for not having money to spend. i don't know where you got the idea that i think people using chevy engines in fords for racing or dodge axles in toyota's for off roading are wrong. they're RIGHT! that's the way to do things in those particular instances. like i said, earlier, slow down and read before responding.
of course, after reading your response, now i see where your problem is. well, i'ts not really a problem, but anybody who can just write a check and have someone else do all the work to a project car will never appreciate the time and effort and 2nd jobs that the rest of us have to deal with to build our own project cars. that's why you can post pics of someone's pride and joy for your own amusement; to make fun of it.
You said it yourself, people doing fake stuff to their car don't desearve to be called enthusiast's which in turn you are creating a class by saying they are not good enough. But like I said before, some people don't have the money.

Ahh crap, I need a box of tisuues, I hope I didn't hurt their feelings... And you better tell all those other people who post pics of cars they think is a laugh b/c all I am smelling here again is double standards.

Just FYI, I bought a burnt out GTR which had the engine, dash and front seats written off from the fire. I then bought a half cut (front half) of a rear ended and totalled GTR and all for $6000 bucks at the time engine and dash intact and procceded to work on it in my mums front yard every free bit of time I had. It took me a year and a half and help from a friend mechanic to finnish so don't tell me about what amount of time and effort it takes to mod a car.

But, I would rather not call myself an "enthusiast" B/C I don't think that highly of my self.
Old 12-18-08, 08:22 PM
LexFather

Dave its a "style". Period. I don't like it much either, but I do understand how painstaking it is to achieve that camber and it gets a lot of "points" in VIP culture. I can respect that.

There is a difference between the car with the crazy camber and a riced out or car modded with fake parts.

I hope everyone sees BOTH are enthusiasts. Just b/c someone doesn't share your point of view or your mods, doesn't mean they don't share your passion towards cars.

Place nicely

Old 12-18-08, 10:47 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by BigVIPness
No !!! I have seen plenty and that Q still looks weird ( I am being as polite as humanly possible right now).