Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

WTF?? Toyota Highlander Limited....no hood struts

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-08, 03:58 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Who cares? If that's a deal breaker for you, then you have bigger issues to worry about...
Old 12-15-08, 04:06 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by ffpower
Well, since the base Highlander has the hood prop it's really not surprising that the higher trims (sport and limited) don't have the hood struts. It'll cost Toyota quiet a fortune just to incorporate the hood struts on the higher trim Highlanders which will ultimately trickle down to the per unit cost, thus results in higher MSRP all around.
Agreed. Then they should just do it once for all the Highlanders and get it over with. It should not affect the MSRP of the vehicle more than a few dollars at most......especially with mass production of thousands of them.
Old 12-15-08, 04:12 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by MoLexus
I never said I agree with the props over the hood struts. My point is walk into a Toyota dealership and sit back and watch the how misinformed they are, they walk in there hoping to get a damn good deal on a damn good car that won't collapse two years down the road. Believe it or not a couple of years ago I went to a Toyota dealership looking at a 4Runner, you won't believe what the salesman was saying to market the car to me as a customer and this is no joke......he bangs the headlight with his fist and says this headlight is the same headlights they use in NASA, it can take up to 200mph of rock impact....then he moves on to the crumple zones as if were in the 80's. The sad thing is Mmarshall is there are several people out there that are oblivious to features such as props or struts because the salesman does his job by feeding unnecessary BS to his/her customers. I'm with you on making it a Federal requirement.
OK.....thanks for clearing that up.

Yes, I know what salespeople can be like......I've seen and heard everything in the book from them, over many years. VW salespeople, BTW, are currently doing the aircraft-grade plastic story on new headlight covers now, but, considering the high speeds that German cars routinely drive on the Autobahn, there appears to be some truth to it....they have to be able to absorb impacts at high speeds.
Old 12-15-08, 04:12 PM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Agreed. Then they should just do it once for all the Highlanders and get it over with. It should not affect the MSRP of the vehicle more than a few dollars at most......especially with mass production of thousands of them.
I agree that if the higher trims are going to get the hood struts then they might as well just do it for all. However, like I said, since Toyota is a mainstream brand I really don't see anything wrong for them to use the hood props. It costs less and saves weight, why not?
Old 12-15-08, 04:37 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by MoLexus
Not just a loaded Highlander, I believe all of them should come standard.....I can't imagine adding a strut as an accessory for a $30k+ car.
I agree here. Especially when u think of how many women buy them and don't need to lift a heavy hood. The TSX hood is very big and heavy for example.

Old 12-15-08, 04:42 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

none of the toyota's sold in Europe, except for Land Cruiser has struts.. cheaper, lighter, simpler... i have no problem with it whatsoever.
Old 12-15-08, 05:03 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

My general opinion on the subject (for what little it is worth) is that vehicles about 30-35K or above should have struts for the hood and a real spare tire/wheel. Those under that figure can get away with a prop-rod and temporary/donut spare tires. (I consider 30-35K, more or less, the dividing zone between low-priced vehicles and upmarket ones).
I have calmed down. I have been warned by the admin for language.

Now, the Highlander Limited is a MSrP $50k vehicle. with no hoods..toyota has gone too far.
Old 12-15-08, 05:29 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by pagemaster
I have calmed down. I have been warned by the admin for language.

Now, the Highlander Limited is a MSrP $50k vehicle. with no hoods..toyota has gone too far.
Yikes, $50K for a Highlander? I wonder how many of the loaded variety they sell? IMO, the struts are nice to have but not a need to have.
Old 12-15-08, 05:30 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

If i remeber correctly, at one point, if they still don't, Lexus used only one hood strut for the es330 and rx330, it's not completely getting rid of it, but they are saving money
Old 12-15-08, 05:35 PM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pagemaster

Eh... I just went to Toyota.com and build a Highlander Limited 4x4. I checked all the options I could and this is what came out:

4x4, 3.5L V6 Non-Hybrid Engine, Limited, 5-Speed Automatic $34,520Navigation System with Options View Details
Navigation System with Additional Options:
[EY] Rear-seat DVD entertainment system with 9-inch display, rear-seat audio and two wireless headphones [15] (includes 115V power outlet and RCA jacks) [16]
[FE] 50 state emissions
[HD] Multi-stage heated front seats
[NV] Voice-activated DVD navigation system® [12] with JBL® AM/FM 4-disc in-dash CD changer, satellite radio capability [10], XM Satellite Radio antenna and prewire, MP3/WMA playback capability, hands-free phone capability via Bluetooth® [11] wireless technology and nine speakers including subwoofer in seven locations
[PB] Power rear door
[QR] Auto rear air conditioning system
[RF] Color-keyed sport-styled rear spoiler
[SR] Power tilt/slide moonroof with sunshade
[TO] Towing Prep Package [7]-includes 5000-lb. towing capacity, heavy-duty radiator with engine oil cooler, 200-watt fan coupling, transmission oil cooler with water cooler, 150-amp alternator and prewired harness
[3T] Cross bars [47]
[WH] Wireless headphones (pair) [47]
[Z4] Preferred accessory package 2All Weather Floor Mat/Cargo Mat, Cargo Net, First Aid Kit
$7,519Exterior:
Blizzard PearlInterior:
Ash Leather$0
Delivery, Processing & Handling Fee
$745View Your Customized eBrochure

View Highlander Warranty
MSRP*
$42,784

Old 12-15-08, 05:45 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ffpower
Eh... I

View Highlander Warranty
MSRP*
$42,784

sorry. I should of said. I am in canada
Old 12-15-08, 06:27 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by jmd93
If i remeber correctly, at one point, if they still don't, Lexus used only one hood strut for the es330 and rx330, it's not completely getting rid of it, but they are saving money
The ES350 has two hood struts, not sure about the 330.
Old 12-15-08, 06:42 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

^^ Well, i guess got rid of it would be correct then
Old 12-15-08, 06:44 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by jmd93
^^ Well, i guess got rid of it would be correct then
Yeah the 330 had one and it was cheap. thing is I believe the hood was aluminum so it was pretty light.

Old 12-15-08, 07:48 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

how often does your average car buyer actually open up the hood?

gas struts have their drawbacks as well, not too great in the cold winter months.

Quick Reply: WTF?? Toyota Highlander Limited....no hood struts