Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

WTF?? Toyota Highlander Limited....no hood struts

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-08, 02:06 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WTF?? Toyota Highlander Limited....no hood struts

WTF?

I can't believe it. Toyota has gone to far.

The Highlander Limited I was looking at has no hood struts....none.....it has a fukcing hood prop.

I cannot believe this.
Old 12-15-08, 02:13 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

That's actually becoming a cost-cutting measure across a various array of cars.

Ask Mmarshall (Mike). He's been doing a lot of reviews (such as the recent Nissan Pathfinder) that have vehicles with hood props.

And no need to be too offended. We take offense to your colorful language moreso than the hood prop.
Old 12-15-08, 02:15 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i have to say that's kind of boooo on toyota

and going around language filter, bad idea
Old 12-15-08, 02:34 PM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pagemaster
WTF?

I can't believe it. Toyota has gone to far.

The Highlander Limited I was looking at has no hood struts....none.....it has a fukcing hood prop.

I cannot believe this.
You know that Acura TSX also uses hood prop right?

No biggie... since Toyota is a mainstream brand I see nothing wrong for them to use hood props.
Old 12-15-08, 03:12 PM
iKenn
Just call me "Sprinkes"

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Not to be dumb but whats hood struts?
Old 12-15-08, 03:15 PM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

This would not even be on my radar as an issue if I were shopping for a new car. My AE86 has a prop. The Lex has struts. I've never had to replace the prop. This is probably a non-issue for most buyers. For others, it's F-bomb worthy. Go figure.
Old 12-15-08, 03:16 PM
PhantomZX
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by iKenn
Not to be dumb but whats hood struts?
They're the compressed gas things that look like a shock absorber that automatically keep your hood open. The prop is the metal bar with the tab on the end you have to insert into a hole to keep the hood open.
Old 12-15-08, 03:18 PM
iKenn
Just call me "Sprinkes"

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

OHHHHHHHH so thats the term for them. I was thinking of like stuff on the roof to carry things.
Old 12-15-08, 03:28 PM
MoLexus
Lexus Test Driver

The clientele of Toyotas don't really focus on features as technical as hood struts or props.
Old 12-15-08, 03:32 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
That's actually becoming a cost-cutting measure across a various array of cars.

Ask Mmarshall (Mike). He's been doing a lot of reviews (such as the recent Nissan Pathfinder) that have vehicles with hood props.
Yes and no.....it seems to be working both ways. Some vehicles, like the Lexus IS300, Subaru Impreza and Forester, that formerly had a cheap prop-rod now have nice gas struts (though Subaru and Lexus countered with cost-cutting features in other areas). Other manufacturers (few, fortunately) went the other way....dumped the struts for a cheap prop-rod. But, with many vehicles, those that had either struts or a prop-rod before kept whatever they had.

My general opinion on the subject (for what little it is worth) is that vehicles about 30-35K or above should have struts for the hood and a real spare tire/wheel. Those under that figure can get away with a prop-rod and temporary/donut spare tires. (I consider 30-35K, more or less, the dividing zone between low-priced vehicles and upmarket ones).

I stress, however, that this is only my personal opinion, as a car reviewer. What many manufacturers actually DO is quite another matter.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-15-08 at 03:35 PM.
Old 12-15-08, 03:43 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by MoLexus
The clientele of Toyotas don't really focus on features as technical as hood struts or props.
Incorrect. A Toyota owner should not be prevented from checking under the hood for fluid levels, battery condition, etc...... just because he or she may have arthritis or weak shoulders/hands/arms, and have trouble fumbling around with a heavy hood and a prop-rod. It can also be dangerous if he or she slips with the rod, does not get it in the hole securely, or if the wind is strong, and the heavy hood comes crashing down. People have been seriously hurt doing that. In general, a aluminum hood is safer because it doesn't weigh as much if it falls down, unless a strong wind catches it and blows it back into the windshield......which would also be prevented with struts. An aluminum hood, though, in general, costs more.

Fortunately, the prop-rod is designed so that, once it is in the hole, it is reasonably secure, because the tip of the rod drops into an elongated slot that locks it in place and prevents a gust of wind brom blowing the hood forward or back. But, if the person handling it slips with it before this happens, it can be dangerous.

Although I said in the post above that I feel that a 30-35K vehicle is the general dividing line between where I would expect to see struts, in the long run, I think we need a Federal standard that would make hold-up struts standard on all new cars sold in this country. Some automakers aren't going to put them on until they are forced to.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-15-08 at 03:50 PM.
Old 12-15-08, 03:47 PM
LexFather

I agree a loaded Highlander should have them. Its ghey that the brand new redesigned "luxury brand" TSX doesn't have them too. The IS 300 and G35 didn't have them but Lexus fixed that mistake 2nd go round.

I happen to notice such things.

Old 12-15-08, 03:53 PM
MoLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Incorrect. A Toyota owner should not be prevented from checking under the hood for fluid levels, battery condition, etc...... just because he or she may have arthritis or weak shoulders/hands/arms, and have trouble fumbling around with a heavy hood and a prop-rod. It can also be dangerous if he or she slips with the rod, does not get it in the hole securely, or if the wind is strong, and the heavy hood comes crashing down. people have been seriously hurt doing that.

Although I said in the post above that I feel that a 30-35K vehicle is the general dividing line between where I would expect to see struts, in the long run, I think we need a Federal standard that would make hold-up struts standard on all new cars sold in this country. Some automakers aren't going to put them on until they are forced to.

I never said I agree with the props over the hood struts. My point is walk into a Toyota dealership and sit back and watch the how misinformed they are, they walk in there hoping to get a damn good deal on a damn good car that won't collapse two years down the road. Believe it or not a couple of years ago I went to a Toyota dealership looking at a 4Runner, you won't believe what the salesman was saying to market the car to me as a customer and this is no joke......he bangs the headlight with his fist and says this headlight is the same headlights they use in NASA, it can take up to 200mph of rock impact....then he moves on to the crumple zones as if were in the 80's. The sad thing is Mmarshall is there are several people out there that are oblivious to features such as props or struts because the salesman does his job by feeding unnecessary BS to his/her customers. I'm with you on making it a Federal requirement.
Old 12-15-08, 03:54 PM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I agree a loaded Highlander should have them.
Well, since the base Highlander has the hood prop it's really not surprising that the higher trims (sport and limited) don't have the hood struts. It'll cost Toyota quiet a fortune just to incorporate the hood struts on the higher trim Highlanders which will ultimately trickle down to the per unit cost, thus results in higher MSRP all around.
Old 12-15-08, 03:56 PM
MoLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I agree a loaded Highlander should have them. Its ghey that the brand new redesigned "luxury brand" TSX doesn't have them too. The IS 300 and G35 didn't have them but Lexus fixed that mistake 2nd go round.

I happen to notice such things.
Not just a loaded Highlander, I believe all of them should come standard.....I can't imagine adding a strut as an accessory for a $30k+ car.

Quick Reply: WTF?? Toyota Highlander Limited....no hood struts