Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Why Don't School Buses Have Seat Belts?!?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-08, 07:14 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,371 Likes on 1,556 Posts

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
I think its not require because cash strapped schools ...
Most schools are anything but 'cash strapped' - the problem is they WASTE zillions of dollars with more "administrators" than teachers.
Old 12-16-08, 07:20 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by luxury1
I just can't imagine in this day and age that we don't have them.
OK, so let's suppose there were belts and not too many people on the prevent their use.

Now why do you suppose any of the kids will use them?

No way the driver's going to inspect everyone to make sure they have their belts on - takes too long.
Do it electronically? E.g., light stays on until everyone is belted, well, that means every SEAT position must have a weight sensor... and it's going to be problematic.

Chances are they'd never get to school...
Old 12-16-08, 08:28 AM
luxury1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You would have to find a way to enfoce it (possibly by using the camera systems if they are caught standing up and a once through by the bus driver. If they are caught without it on it means no recess progressing into suspensions (or something). At least they would have them though and most kids would probably use them. Even if you save one life it is worth it.

It kind of makes kids learn at a young age that they really don't need seatbelts and get used to not wearing them.
Old 12-16-08, 09:21 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I completely disagree. Its just one of those things kids are used to on a school bus. It doesn't have seatbelts. But it never affected my decision or ANY of my friend's decision to wear a seatbelt in a car.
Old 12-16-08, 12:49 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

The school-bus-seatbelt issue has been brought up before. The main thing working against it is that it is sometimes necessary to evacuate a bus in a hurry (in case of a fire or similiar emergency). Getting three or four dozen kids out quickly, all at once, with some semblance of order, is hard enough as it is.......multiply that by the hassles it would involve helping some of the kids who couldn't un-click the belts, and it would be an untenable situation.
Old 12-16-08, 01:56 PM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

A good reason why school bus should be driven slowly and carefully, and should come to a complete stop at a stop sign and rail crossing!

Of which none do anymore!!!!
Old 12-16-08, 02:18 PM
MGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

got seatbelts ?
Attached Thumbnails Why Don't School Buses Have Seat Belts?!?!?!-sb.jpg  
Old 12-16-08, 02:58 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by luxury1
It kind of makes kids learn at a young age that they really don't need seatbelts and get used to not wearing them.
No, that's what parents are for.
Old 12-16-08, 05:54 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

Luxury1, i respect your opinions, i really do, but you seem to me like an "over protective" parent, i mean i know you care for your childs safety and all, and thats important, but really, i have never worn a seatbelt on the bus and so far so good, as well as many others, and look at those other kids who are basically hanging off well not a bus, but a way to get to school and they are fine, just saying
Old 12-16-08, 06:53 PM
luxury1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jmd93
Luxury1, i respect your opinions, i really do, but you seem to me like an "over protective" parent, i mean i know you care for your childs safety and all, and thats important, but really, i have never worn a seatbelt on the bus and so far so good, as well as many others, and look at those other kids who are basically hanging off well not a bus, but a way to get to school and they are fine, just saying
I may be an over protective parent in some ways but not in others. I don't have a child on a bus and never have but what got me thinking about this is when a bunch of people from my company were injured when they were on a shuttle bus going to the airport. A car T-Boned them at 35 mph and people that were on one side of the bus were all of a sudden on the other side of the bus and were banged up. They were bigger guys but not huge guys averaging 250 lbs a piece (approximately). Watch the video of those kids getting tossed around and you see the point.

I then asked my wife if school buses had seat belts and found out that they didn't and that shocked me. I have never been injured in a bus or car for that matter but if I have the opportunity to buckle up then I do. I assume that you don't buckle up in a car either as why would you in a car if you don't in a bus. You really should though. So many people die needlessly. Thinking it will never happen to me won't keep you safe
Old 12-16-08, 08:05 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

^^ I always buckle up in a car, I'm not stupid, but when the bus driver tells you you don;t need to wear the seatbelt, i don't think you do. It all comes down to common sense, I honestly don't care whether you wear a seatbelt on the bus, we don't wear seatbelts on a public bus or a taxi do we?, but in my own car, off course. Unfortunetly, many, as you stated, never wear it, but i do respect you watching out for what is best for your child and respect that.
Old 12-17-08, 05:26 AM
luxury1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jmd93
we don't wear seatbelts on a public bus or a taxi do we?
You really should. A lot of people get a false sense of security in taxi's but it is no different than driving with someone else. It can even be more dangerous since the driver may have decided to be on a 15 hour shift and may not be vigilant. Also, it is other drivers that pose just as much of a risk like someone running a light.

It is better to be safe than sorry and you may never get a second chance.
Old 12-17-08, 03:50 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

^^^ Well i guess that is true, but i guess that we all just automatically think since it's public, its automatically ok to ride in without a seatbelt, i mean hell some people stand. Now thought you brought this up, the more and more i think about it haha
Old 12-18-08, 05:58 PM
luxury1
Lexus Test Driver

I am glad to hear it!

I have seen a lot of scary things over the past 5 years (mostly in some time spent in the Hospital ER). People that are just normally dressed to go out or run errands were fighting for their lives with blood all over their nice clothes just minutes after they left home. Some dead on arrival due to a completely unexpected car accident. They were just going to do what they were going to do that day/night and ended up in a place that they could have never imagined.

That is the strange thing about these accidents, you never know and when you do it is too late.
Old 12-18-08, 06:40 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

^^^ I saw some very bad accidents when i lived in chicago, when we used to live there, my dad would drop me off at the nurses stations and make his rounds, well every once in a while the exact case you stated would occur, and since there was and still is a no helmet law there, those of you who are familiar with them would see "donorcycles" come in, those motorcycles really messed people up