Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Audi hybrid plans now on hold

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-08, 06:05 PM
LexFather

Post Audi hybrid plans now on hold

Audi’s plans for petrol-electric hybrids are on hold indefinitely following a decision to postpone the hybrid Q5.

Autocar revealed in July that the Q7 would not get a hybrid powertrain, with the company deciding to focus on more efficient diesels and cutting weight from its cars.

Now the Q5, which was next in line for the technology, won’t be available as a hybrid either.

Senior sources said: “Audi won’t produce a petrol-electric hybrid until we can make nickel metal hydride batteries safer in crash situations, and hybrid technology more efficient overall. Until then we will concentrate on producing more efficient diesel engines and aluminium chassis.”

The Q5 will now be fitted with a stop-start system, and could get further fuel-saving technology. Audi’s answer to BMW’s Efficient Dynamics initiative won’t get a specific name, as the company wants to promote the belief that the improvements are a natural part of its technical progress.

The new technology could make its debut on the A1 supermini, due in 2010, but development is sufficiently advanced that it could be added to existing models next year.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsAr...AllCars/236482

Old 12-15-08, 06:12 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been studying hybrids for a while now and I have never heard of any danger involving NiMh batteries in crashes.

2 things:

1. In my imediate family (there are 7 of us), it doesnt matter the price of gas. We've logged enough time behind the wheel of an RXh and a Prius that we all agree we like running on electric.

2. Car companies will undoubtedly have to utilize hybrids or go all 4 cylinder or all diesel if they want to meet CAFE standards.
Old 12-15-08, 06:54 PM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another reason to cross off Audi from my list...

Overpriced and undervalued, now this... Man, Audi is making it EASY!!
Old 12-15-08, 09:03 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Audi is terrible, look at their worldwide sales declines.

wait?
Old 12-16-08, 03:13 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 156 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by FKL

wait?
lol... what does that have to do with anything?

Seems like germans just wanted good excuse as they have yet to release hybrid anyway... so much for being at forefront of technology...
Old 12-16-08, 03:21 AM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
I have been studying hybrids for a while now and I have never heard of any danger involving NiMh batteries in crashes.
maybe they wanted to place the batteries in the rear bumper

you know, for better weight distribution lol
Old 12-16-08, 08:32 AM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FKL

wait?
Good one, so based on that philosophy...

Camry is king and Passat is ******.

Thanks for participating and have a good day.
Old 12-16-08, 05:07 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

What makes the hybrid decades better than the Diesel the Germans have been creating for so long? I could just as easily hammer on Honda and Toyota for refusing to offer them in N. America.

You proved my point, fff. Volume doesn't mean superiority, but the "undervalued" statement goes in direct contention with their lack of major sales declines.
Old 12-16-08, 07:54 PM
Nao1008
Driver School Candidate

Does this announcement only apply to Audi's or Porsche's as well? Porsche's been saying for many years that they will have panamara, Cayenne hybrid. i wonder if that is halted now.
Old 12-16-08, 08:11 PM
LexFather

Guys knock it off. Thanks

Old 11-23-10, 06:11 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Arrow Update

INGOLSTADT, Germany – Audi has big plans for its electric vehicle business.

"By 2020, we want to be the leading premium seller of electric vehicles,"
Franciscus van Meel, Audi's manager for electric mobility strategy, said at a recent technical workshop at the company's headquarters here.

"We will successively bring out a variety of hybrid models and electric vehicles, such as our first plug-in hybrid in 2014,
" he said, without sharing more details on the plug-in hybrid.

Audi's alternative powertrain plan includes: full-hybrid versions of the A8 upper-premium sedan and Q5 SUV, both due in late 2011; a hybrid A6 that is likely to arrive in 2012; plus a range of high-priced electric cars starting with the limited-edition battery-powered e-tron version of the R8 supercar in 2012.

Audi set up the e-tron division to develop and produce EVs. The brand's electric-car approach is different from that of rival BMW AG, which is developing the smaller so-called Megacity Vehicle designed for urban commuting. The Megacity Vehicle is due to launch in 2013.

"Today we're assuming that our sales of Audi e-tron electric cars will rise to a 6-figure volume by 2020," van Meel said.

By 2020, Audi wants to increase the efficiency of its internal combustion engines by 30% and wants 5% of the brand's lineup to be electric, Michael ****, Audi's board member for technology, said earlier this year.

To help it meet that goal, Audi recently opened a 65 million euro (about $89 million), 14,000-square-meter electric-drive development and test center at its headquarters. It plans to hire 840 people to help develop electric powertrains and batteries.

Audi parent Volkswagen AG wants the group to be No. 1 in hybrid and electric cars before the end of the decade, increasing its EV market share to 3% of its forecast global sales of 10 million vehicles by 2018.

Globally, VW Group plans to launch a full-electric version of its Up minicar, the E-Up, E-Golf and E-Jetta in 2013.
Old 11-23-10, 06:15 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Good luck to Audi. They are going to have to compete with Tesla and Toyota. Not an easy task, especially as Tesla and Toyota now are in a partnership.
Old 11-23-10, 08:28 PM
LexFather

Good move to me. I agree no easy task but they could lead luxury brands.