Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

I wish there was a Lexus magazine

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-08, 09:26 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,242 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Originally Posted by Ice350
Several reasons. Moderators are sometimes overbearing. Site being taken over by a corporation.

I mean no disrespect in what I said but I'll bet the farm someone takes offense and may just delete the post.
Reg, I don't take offense but the simple reality of the situation is we do enforce our forum rules on Club Lexus.

In addition to bitkahuna's fine points if you (for example) advertise in the forum without being an approved vendor, we take action. That's the exact same thing now as it was before the Internet Brands purchase of CL. If you (for example) keep arguing with other members when a moderator has asked you to take it to PM, we take action.

I'm sorry you consider it overbearing when we enforce the rules we have posted, but they're in place for good reason and really aren't that hard to work within for most of our members.

I'd personally rather volunteer my time for our enthusiast community on CL (as I and the rest of our moderator team do) before I'd do it writing static articles for a magazine. Much more interactive and timely.

If members want to write articles to publish on the home page of CL, we'd be happy to review them (please PM me). We're also working on bringing back our COTM for 2009.
Old 12-16-08, 11:06 AM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Imo, there is far more info here than what they could possibly come up with on a monthly basis for an "enthusiast" magazine. The interactive nature of this site also allows everyone to get their specific questions answered in a very short time frame.

In regards to the mods being overbearing....if you spend any time on some of the "other" luxury sites, you would see how juvenile and disruptive threads can be when not monitored by mods. I, like most people here, welcome discussion and acknowledge that we are all entitled to our own opinions. However, when it becomes personal and focuses more on baiting and flaming, it borders on ridiculous. Some of the other sites spend more time arguing about which of their own models are better, than actually having productive discussions.

The mods don't always agree with what I have to say, and I have been warned as well, but I would rather this site maintain it's integrity and some level of class than deteriorating into what some of the other sites have become.
Old 12-16-08, 03:12 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
I don't agree with strange. Lexus primarily attracts those who want reliability, refinement, and luxury. It will take Lexus a decade or more to have much of a performance following and they still are only making a half-hearted effort. The IS-F is a good effort, but bringing out only ONE performance model is a joke. At the rate they're going and with the bad economy it will be two decades. By then NO ONE will be reading magazines, and you'll be old like me.
Yeah, strange is too strong of a term for what I wanted to say.
SOmetimes I get dramatic.
Old 12-16-08, 03:15 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Reg, I don't take offense but the simple reality of the situation is we do enforce our forum rules on Club Lexus.

In addition to bitkahuna's fine points if you (for example) advertise in the forum without being an approved vendor, we take action. That's the exact same thing now as it was before the Internet Brands purchase of CL. If you (for example) keep arguing with other members when a moderator has asked you to take it to PM, we take action.

I'm sorry you consider it overbearing when we enforce the rules we have posted, but they're in place for good reason and really aren't that hard to work within for most of our members.

I'd personally rather volunteer my time for our enthusiast community on CL (as I and the rest of our moderator team do) before I'd do it writing static articles for a magazine. Much more interactive and timely.

If members want to write articles to publish on the home page of CL, we'd be happy to review them (please PM me). We're also working on bringing back our COTM for 2009.
Yes, bit made good points and so have you.
Old 12-16-08, 03:29 PM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Turbo and Sport Compact Car are now defunct, but they used to do Lexus vehicles.

If you can learn to read japaneese there are tons to choose from
Old 12-16-08, 03:30 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
Imo, there is far more info here than what they could possibly come up with on a monthly basis for an "enthusiast" magazine. The interactive nature of this site also allows everyone to get their specific questions answered in a very short time frame.

In regards to the mods being overbearing....if you spend any time on some of the "other" luxury sites, you would see how juvenile and disruptive threads can be when not monitored by mods. I, like most people here, welcome discussion and acknowledge that we are all entitled to our own opinions. However, when it becomes personal and focuses more on baiting and flaming, it borders on ridiculous. Some of the other sites spend more time arguing about which of their own models are better, than actually having productive discussions.

The mods don't always agree with what I have to say, and I have been warned as well, but I would rather this site maintain it's integrity and some level of class than deteriorating into what some of the other sites have become.
Well, I am certainly happy this site has moderators who take the job seriously. I am also glad that most people who participate don't behave like the folks on some other sites.
to me it's harder to enjoy the experience online. With a magazine the pics are usually of good quality and again, usually there are enough angles to get the full exposure of the car. Then there are wrote-ups written by pro's or wanna be pro's that explain not only the car mods but the creator's vision for the car. Lot's of guys here are not good at putting their thoughts into words...which is fine, we're not journalists. Many of us are not good photographers. Magazines are easier on the eyes, too. And it's always there. I have magazines from 15 years ago sitting around here. SOme of the oldies like RPM Magazine. EUroTuner when it first started had 2 modded LS before they became exclusively German. Try to find good memorable stuff on your computer. You can save whatever you want but who wants to sift through thousands of files for pics. When you find them so what, no words to bring it back to life like a magazine can.
Yes, mag's are becoming played out. Performance BMW is still going strong. SportsCar Mag is too...and many others. If it's good it will last.
The internet may replace the mag when we have talk systems at home. When I can tell the computer what I want, then I can find the words I want to read. Until then, the mag trumps the internet in my book.
Old 12-16-08, 03:41 PM
2002GGPIS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok great idea, but we need to spread it out some more. How about a toyota magazine, that includes toyota, lexus and scion cars and trucks. The best example of this is nissan sport magazine, covering all nissan, infinti and datsun cars and trucks. it is a really great magazine, because yes it cover's the usual, GT-R's and Z's, but also feature other models that owner's enjoy, from sentra se-r's to pathfinders. If a toyota magazine had this same format, like say in the same issue feature a big horspower Supra, a VIP LS430, a tricked out scion XB, a fully restored 2000gt, a off road landcrusier, etc.. each segment appeals to diffrent toyota fans, but the result is a bigger audience. So maybe there is some way to make this happen?, I think all toyota/lexus/scion fans would buy it.
Old 12-16-08, 03:50 PM
LexFather

FYI the price of paper rose 3 times this past year. As bit said, its just a harder sell. You would seriously have to raise the capital yourself, we all know how credit has tightened and pitching an idea to start a "magazine" when so many are being canceled is not the move.

Even major mags have all cut content and tell subscribers and readers "go to our websites online".

I would love to have a Lexus magazine or even a Toyota one. I really would. Who is to say it would not suceed?

Maybe in the future, who knows!

As for BMW/Benz etc, well people are forgetting one big thing. They have a much larger and loyal audience. Rememeber Lexus has only been around 20 years and has only sold 4 million+ cars or so.

the BMW/Benz/Porsche clubs have been around since the 1960s or so....Incredible feat for them!!! They have a much bigger and more enthusiastic audience.

Old 12-16-08, 04:07 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
FYI the price of paper rose 3 times this past year. As bit said, its just a harder sell. You would seriously have to raise the capital yourself, we all know how credit has tightened and pitching an idea to start a "magazine" when so many are being canceled is not the move.

Even major mags have all cut content and tell subscribers and readers "go to our websites online".

I would love to have a Lexus magazine or even a Toyota one. I really would. Who is to say it would not suceed?

Maybe in the future, who knows!

As for BMW/Benz etc, well people are forgetting one big thing. They have a much larger and loyal audience. Rememeber Lexus has only been around 20 years and has only sold 4 million+ cars or so.

the BMW/Benz/Porsche clubs have been around since the 1960s or so....Incredible feat for them!!! They have a much bigger and more enthusiastic audience.
Very good points. I didn't even think about the historical aspect. Mercedes is credited with being the first production car in history. BMW has been racing for more years than some people have been alive. Lexus needs something, a hook....more than being a reliable luxury car. It needs something that inspires people to want to read about them.
I still believe that if all the people registered on this website showed their interest and supported it, a mag could work. We probably wouldn't need many others. I do like the Toyota thing but I don't believe Scion drivers feel a kinship with Lexus owners. Nissan has cars that bridge the brands. The 350Z and G35 were virtually the same car. The SUV's are the same. We had the SC300/Supra thing but that's gone. It could work with a little work and love.

Last edited by Ice350; 12-16-08 at 04:12 PM.
Old 12-16-08, 05:12 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Ice350
Several reasons. Moderators are sometimes overbearing. Site being taken over by a corporation. Kids who say stuff without facts. Others who think they are know-it-alls. Sometimes I just wanna look at nice pics and read about the owners thoughts as he/she created their masterpiece.
I mean no disrespect in what I said but I'll bet the farm someone takes offense and may just delete the post.

Twice I've tried to get support in starting a Lexus performance magazine. I even made a proposal to JMLexus. I was told if I get enough support, they would take it to Lexus Corp. I posted a thread. Probably 30 or people chimed in with support out of the hundreds who viewed the thread. That wasn't enough support. Even if the number was more (I can't remember the real number), it would have taken around a thousand positive replies to move this higher. That many names means possible magazine sales.
To do it without support from Lexus would mean help from others. Financially and with work. No one volunteered. The reason people from brands like Mercedes and BMW say Lexus cars are without character probably coincides with the attitudes of Lexus owners. A lot of us are not as passionate about the car scene as some others. That explains why they keep buying cars they know will be in the shop every other month. We want an appliance. Something that works all the time. I don't mean to put down the brand or us enthusiasts. I speak mainly of non-enthusuasts with these comments. But it does apply to us a little.
BMW clubs all around the world behave like clubs. They meet to discuss issues and plan activities and pitch in to get things done.
Several times I suggested having regular meetings, putting together a treasury fund to support activities. People looked at me like I was crazy.
The Lexus crowd is strange. We love our cars but it ends there. Passion is not as evident as with other marques. That's how I see it. That's why a Lexus Performance Magazine won't work.

very very well said man. I remember when I used to spend alot of time on G35 and 350Z forums I found that 85% of the members would only discuss power making mods or suspension tuning. At club lexus the mods are usually only cosmetic mods. I dont know if that makes lexus owners less enthusiastic about the car, but I will agree there is a certain bond that forms between the driver and the car when hardcore driving is done on the track or on the streets. Every now and then I try and get spirited behind the wheel and find that the GS is not that bad if the traction control is off, but then with no LSD if you start breaking traction on corner exit, you see the big fly in the ointment, you get the dreaded single wheel spinning.

I still love my lexus I am very interested in lexus tuning and would like to see more lexus cars in tuning mags. I actually always flip through looking for any mag with a lexus in it. If I find one I buy it and save it. I have many mags with modified LS's, GS's, and IS's.

The IS is one hell of a car. Its very similar to the G35. I dont understand why more enthusiasts arent working them more I see modified G35's at any and every car show, but the IS,GS,and LS are rare birds.
Old 12-16-08, 05:17 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

I think a toyota magazine , like nissan sport magazine, would be awesome. I would buy it in a second. Including the toyota , scion, and Lexus will give the magazine more topics, features, and fans
Old 12-16-08, 06:07 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Well the Toyota 4x4 fanatics have their own mag devoted to everything Toyota 4x4.. Discovered it on Rav4world..

It can be done if the interest & enthusiasm is there...
Old 12-16-08, 06:38 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We get the regular Lexus Lifestyle magazine here is Canada, but from the other posts, I am unclear if you get it in the US.

Why not try to persuade Lexus itself to either expand or adapt their current offering to speak more to the performance/enthusiast side?:uh:

This would avoid the very difficult start up costs and possibly provide an early insight into Lexus' development of more "performance" oriented cars.
Old 12-16-08, 10:49 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

what I want is more than a life style magazine about wine, golf, and leisure travel. I want articles on air suspension set ups, wheel offsets, and mods. Also want to see featured cars that win car shows or just look hardcore or come with a great story. A really really good example of this is Nissan sport magazine.

By the way... whats up with traction magazine??????? Its the only magazine I have seen that features luxury sedans. I know its barely been out a year so I am wondering if they are gonna cut that was well. I actually started a sport compact magazine subscription 2 weeks before I heard they were going under.
Old 12-17-08, 02:55 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
what I want is more than a life style magazine about wine, golf, and leisure travel. I want articles on air suspension set ups, wheel offsets, and mods. Also want to see featured cars that win car shows or just look hardcore or come with a great story. A really really good example of this is Nissan sport magazine.
Agreed.. This has nothing to do with how long a car company has been around.. It has more to to do with the people who own, drive, admire those cars. Bimmerpost & Bimmerpost forums started in 2000 & 2001 respectfully. The Bimmerfest meets are only 9 years old yet can get major coverage from the free standard fare BMW Magazine below...

Where was the spread for Lexfest 2005 in Lexus Magazine? When it comes to magazine coverage, the Lexus enthusiast community is like the outsiders looking in so to speak.. Time to make noise!

Quick Reply: I wish there was a Lexus magazine