Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

I wish there was a Lexus magazine

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-08, 05:33 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
Agreed.. This has nothing to do with how long a car company has been around.. It has more to to do with the people who own, drive, admire those cars. Bimmerpost & Bimmerpost forums started in 2000 & 2001 respectfully. The Bimmerfest meets are only 9 years old yet can get major coverage from the free standard fare BMW Magazine below...

Where was the spread for Lexfest 2005 in Lexus Magazine? When it comes to magazine coverage, the Lexus enthusiast community is like the outsiders looking in so to speak.. Time to make noise!
Go gloat elsewhere. It does have a lot do with how long a company is around. You don't think clubs established 40, 50 years ago has something to do with it? Even those clubs were not established as soon as the marque was around. It took time.

Anyone in here knows that Lexus is simply a different company compared to BMW/Benz and Germans when it comes to supporting enthusiasts. Maybe its b/c even they are shocked that a brand known for "quality" has so many nuts modding their cars.

One look at the Lexus magazine shows how the Lexus approach is vastly different (personally I barely read it). Its more for Martha Stewart than Lewis Hamiltion.

Old 12-17-08, 06:31 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

Go gloat elsewhere. It does have a lot do with how long a company is around. You don't think clubs established 40, 50 years ago has something to do with it? Even those clubs were not established as soon as the marque was around. It took time.

Anyone in here knows that Lexus is simply a different company compared to BMW/Benz and Germans when it comes to supporting enthusiasts. Maybe its b/c even they are shocked that a brand known for "quality" has so many nuts modding their cars.

One look at the Lexus magazine shows how the Lexus approach is vastly different (personally I barely read it). Its more for Martha Stewart than Lewis Hamiltion.
Mike... This is not an attempt by me to gloat. I'll just jot this as #567 on the misconstruement on the internet list.. I am merely trying to show when you make things happen you get results.. Those guys were enthused about the gathering, got the message out, and it garnered the attention of BMW corporate.. The cars are nothing but an object.. It is the community of people who own, admire, dream about said cars that hones the enthusiasm around said vehicle.. Magazines & online communities are what you make them. Be it a conservative, family values type of community or the get loose, driving enthusiast, tee shirt wearing, all out fun type then that is what you get. In order for the current Lexus magazine or an all new enthusiast centered Lexus magazine to take off, it will require guys like us to to get motivated, organize, and get the message out! If 96,000+ CL members are content with the recipe sharing magazine as it is, then so it will remain..
Old 12-17-08, 07:33 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
Mike... This is not an attempt by me to gloat. I'll just jot this as #567 on the misconstruement on the internet list.. I am merely trying to show when you make things happen you get results.. Those guys were enthused about the gathering, got the message out, and it garnered the attention of BMW corporate.. The cars are nothing but an object.. It is the community of people who own, admire, dream about said cars that hones the enthusiasm around said vehicle.. Magazines & online communities are what you make them. Be it a conservative, family values type of community or the get loose, driving enthusiast, tee shirt wearing, all out fun type then that is what you get. In order for the current Lexus magazine or an all new enthusiast centered Lexus magazine to take off, it will require guys like us to to get motivated, organize, and get the message out! If 96,000+ CL members are content with the recipe sharing magazine as it is, then so it will remain..

Well I totally agree with you there. We have seen a lot of people make threads about a Lexus mag, but no one has MADE a Lexus mag.

CL as a business model though, while we do have 96k people that joined, 96k are not active. We both have helped plan/organize meets in our respective areas and we know it is a challenge to get the Lexus owner out the house to a meet.

Seeing the mag Luxury and Exotics get canceled doesn't help. That mag catered to all luxury brands (and they did have BimmerFest/Mfest coverage every year) and didn't make it and I did find it to be a pretty good read.

I remember reaching out to them about Lexfest and about a big SELOC show here in Atlanta and they wanted to know what kind of Lexus would be there for them to attend. It showed how Lexus still is relatively puny in the "Mod" scene.

As much of a fan of Lexus I am from the cars to the community, personal experience with leading events leads me to think a magazine wouldn't do to well.

Barnes and Nobles is like a 2nd home and all the mags there that are specific to brands have a HUGE following not just with enthusiasts but the # of cars sold. There is BMW, Porsche, Benz, Jaguar, VW, Ford, etc and some have multiple mags dedicated to them. I've dreamt of a Lexus mag up there but would people buy them? I am not so sure.

The only thought is make it really costly like EVO, about $12 and ENSURE the content makes people feel the price is still a bargain!

Old 12-17-08, 06:26 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

The pictures they print in EVO looks like art. Makes road and tracks pictures look like a kid with a crayon. I do feel that the EVO magazine and CAR are worth the relatively high price
Old 12-17-08, 06:48 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Ice350
Kids who say stuff without facts. Others who think they are know-it-alls.
There is an enormous amount of good and legitimate car information represented here on CAR CHAT by CL members; it is one of the finest general car-talk sites on the Internet. For instance, I would rather read a car review by 1SICKLEX, or an analysis by someone like bitkahuna, RON430, flipside909, doug999, or a number of others in this forum than about 95% of the junk I read in so-called newspaper "reviews".

None of us here "knows it all". But, collectively, the members on this site know a LOT.
And many of us are not "kids". I, for one, have been driving and reviewing cars for some 40 years.

That is why I (and many others) stay in it, even though we are no longer Lexus owners or never have been. If you can find a better site on the Internet for the type of car talk we do....join it. But you will have a lot of searching to do. And DaveGS4, our Administrator, also nit the nail on the head when he mentioned (correctly) that posting and debating rules here are enforced.......that is also not the case with a lot of other forums, where members can and do act like animals sometimes.

As far as a Lexus magazine goes, one is published by the factory PR department. You usually get on their mailing list (like I was with my old IS300) when you buy a new Lexus.

http://www.lexus.com/magazine/

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-17-08 at 06:55 PM.
Old 12-17-08, 07:13 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

Wow i never realized people like their Lexus enough to actually push for a magazine for it, i mean i love our cars, i really do,but i don't know if i could read a magazine solely on Lexus, i need variety ha
Old 12-17-08, 08:40 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
There is an enormous amount of good and legitimate car information represented here on CAR CHAT by CL members; it is one of the finest general car-talk sites on the Internet. For instance, I would rather read a car review by 1SICKLEX, or an analysis by someone like bitkahuna, RON430, flipside909, doug999, or a number of others in this forum than about 95% of the junk I read in so-called newspaper "reviews".

None of us here "knows it all". But, collectively, the members on this site know a LOT.
And many of us are not "kids". I, for one, have been driving and reviewing cars for some 40 years.

That is why I (and many others) stay in it, even though we are no longer Lexus owners or never have been. If you can find a better site on the Internet for the type of car talk we do....join it. But you will have a lot of searching to do. And DaveGS4, our Administrator, also nit the nail on the head when he mentioned (correctly) that posting and debating rules here are enforced.......that is also not the case with a lot of other forums, where members can and do act like animals sometimes.

As far as a Lexus magazine goes, one is published by the factory PR department. You usually get on their mailing list (like I was with my old IS300) when you buy a new Lexus.

http://www.lexus.com/magazine/
I know that you and several others compose posts that are good reads. But we do have a lot of people here that say things without facts.
The most common: that a wheel is crap if it isn't one costing big bucks....when in fact the higher end wheels require more care to keep looking good and almost always need refinishing and/or repair after a year or 2. Being lighter only is an advantage to racing but you hear it over and over. The look is what the high end wheel provides, and that's great but that's the main draw of the money being spent.
Magazines provide more in depth information because most of us aren't journalists and wouldn't take the time to write what I really want to read.
I like the internet but to me, it doesn't replace a good hard copy read.
Old 12-17-08, 09:40 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Ice350
Magazines provide more in depth information because most of us aren't journalists and wouldn't take the time to write what I really want to read.
I like the internet but to me, it doesn't replace a good hard copy read.
No arguments there. I read hard-copy auto mags myself, especially C&D and R&T...both are excellent magazines. (Autoweek used to publish a lot of my comments in the fast-poll section when I read it regularly). But, to be honest, you can have Motor Trend....they don't impress me. And even they are better than some of the newspaper write-ups.
Old 12-18-08, 09:39 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,461 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
As far as a Lexus magazine goes, one is published by the factory PR department.
true, but it has very little to do with lexus vehicles...
Old 12-18-08, 10:32 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
true, but it has very little to do with lexus vehicles...
It 's more of a lifestyle mag. Actually, that would be a good name for it, Lexus Lifestyle Magazine.
Old 12-21-08, 10:30 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

yeah its more about golfing and drinking wine than suspension set ups and new technology
Old 06-27-09, 11:21 AM
LexFather

How much would you pay for a Lexus magazine? What would you pay per issue or per year?
I find myself paying $10 or more for the magazines well WORTH it, EVO etc, a subscription is $100.
C&D, Motor Trend etc are $5 an issue and a subscription is about $10 or so but to me, its NOT worth it even though the subscription is ten times cheaper.

Would you require monthly? Bi-Monthly? 8 times a year? Quarterly? Excellence for Porsche comes out 8 times a year for example. Garagestyle 4 times a year. Clearly the more popular mags every month.

Just curious..

What would you like to be included in the mag? What would make you say "that was worth it"?

Old 06-27-09, 07:33 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

I think it should be broken up into segments. There will be tchnology and future model news, readers cars, racing, maintenace tips, modified cars, car show vehicles. Look at any brand specific magazine and you will see what I mean. I would pay $10 for a good Lexus magazine. I think it will give the brand a more established feel, and make the owners ( new and old) feel like they have a source for news and info about just that favorite or loved brand
Old 06-27-09, 07:48 PM
huddleston
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 13 Posts

i would subscribe.
Old 06-27-09, 10:21 PM
ivanz
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe start small...get a section in a large appliance magazine?

I do agree that other luxury makes do have bigger meets and clubs...but their clubs consist of a large number of douchebags with brand new cars that meet up just to brag or race. Us Lexus folks on the other hand are way friendlier and focus less on cars and more on other things. I guess some people prefer a "cult of the car" type club, but I don't find it appealing.

Quick Reply: I wish there was a Lexus magazine