Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota to Halt Work on U.S. Prius Assembly Plant

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-08, 07:10 AM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 120 Likes on 67 Posts
Default Toyota to Halt Work on U.S. Prius Assembly Plant

Someone here once said that even during these economically depressed times, people should still buy cars! Unfortunately, the outlook is so grim that even the vaunted Prius (and it's new $300m) is affected:

Even mighty Toyota can't escape harsh economic times

The downturn in the economy isn't only affected the Big 3 as some may wish to believe. The credit crunch coupled with massive job losses has led to a serious downturn in car sales as well. While the Big 3 have definitely been hit the hardest, even industry stalwarts like Toyota and Honda are finding that they can't be as aggressive as they have been in the past with their development/production cycle.

In the case of Toyota, the company has put the brakes on its eighth North American automobile plant. "Due to the uncertainty of the market, it is impossible to say at this time when production will begin," noted the company in a press statement. "Toyota continues to evaluate its operations globally and reduce production as necessary to match the weak market."

Workers at the new $300M Mississippi assembly plant -- which currently stands at 90% complete -- were to build current and future versions of the Prius hybrid. However, even Toyota's fuel-efficient Prius hasn't been able to escape lagging sales numbers. According to Reuters, Prius sales were down 48% for November year-over-year.

The steep drop in Prius sales, along with a 34% decline in automobile sales altogether for Toyota in November, and a 92-day car inventory are all cited as reasons for slowing down its expansion plans.

Reuters adds that Toyota will still complete the outer structure of the Mississippi assembly plant, but will instead wait to install the production machinery at a later date.

Toyota's next generation Prius will makes its official debut next year at the Detroit Auto Show. The vehicle, however, was first leaked on the internet in October.
Old 12-16-08, 07:35 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Probably a wise move to delay. However, I would think that if the new Prius were in high demand despite hard times, this plant could be a go. However, I hope that they don't wait too long as wasn't much of the reasoning behind this plant to rebuke the criticisms of the Prius' carbon footprint?
Old 12-16-08, 07:44 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
Probably a wise move to delay. However, I would think that if the new Prius were in high demand despite hard times, this plant could be a go. However, I hope that they don't wait too long as wasn't much of the reasoning behind this plant to rebuke the criticisms of the Prius' carbon footprint?
that doesnt mean much, Prius will be produced in other factories where they have capacity unused right now.

With sales 30% down, Toyota is now producing 7 million cars and they have capacity to build 10 million. Makes no sense to build new ones right now.

Also, its good to hear that they are not firing anyone... I wonder how long can that last?
Old 12-16-08, 08:03 AM
PhantomZX
Lead Lap

The falling gas prices definitely didn't help demand for the Prius.
Old 12-16-08, 08:13 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomZX
The falling gas prices definitely didn't help demand for the Prius.
Not when OPEC is gonna reduce/limit oil production to bring back the price of oil to about $80 a barrel (which it currently is $45).

It's been in the news today...
Old 12-16-08, 08:20 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

That news hasnt done much to the price of oil.
Old 12-16-08, 10:06 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

OPEC has talked about slicing production for long, but prices still drop. we will see if this round it's going to push up the prices, but i have a feeling it will drop more

it's a good idea for toyota to cut production. the matter of fact is cars just aren't selling, and prius really loses a lot of its leverage to those who are shopping
Old 12-16-08, 05:26 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

with super unleaded at $1.90 I dont think the prius is gonna be popular again until the prices go up again. Granted they will go up, but for now it doesnt make sense for the manufacturers to flood the market with more cars than they can sell
Old 12-16-08, 06:44 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
with super unleaded at $1.90 I dont think the prius is gonna be popular again until the prices go up again. Granted they will go up, but for now it doesnt make sense for the manufacturers to flood the market with more cars than they can sell
I would write it off yet. People haven't been flocking back to large SUVs. Thankfully, people are smarter.