Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

loaner car question

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-08, 05:24 AM
LexFather

I am sure some dealers would like to go off b/c of issues like the ones below:
A lot of dealers are SICK AND TIRED of people that ABUSE the loaner program and the courtesy Lexus provides. I've heard HORROR stories. The loaner program has gotten a lot stricter in the last couple years.
1. People bringing in a 15 year old Lexus on Friday, drive the loaner all weekend, for an oil change.
2. People putting dogs, cats, smoking endlessly in a loaner.
3. Peoople borrowing loaners for a couple days and NOT even getting work done. They bring it in for an estimate, get a loaner and thats it.
4. People who want loaners but hardly EVER use the dealer for any service and NEVER buy a car from them.
5. People that get a loaner with gas and bring it back EMPTY.

I don't have a percentage of people that do that but it IS a problem. The other issue is this is not the same Lexus of 10 years ago. There are DOUBLE the amount of Lexus on the roads, which means more in for service, which means more loaners but not that much more. Lexus dealers have invested over $800 million the last 3 years or so by Lexus demands to allow for bigger service areas and revamped dealerships.

Bottom line you should have a relationship with your dealer.

Old 12-17-08, 08:24 AM
SIGALPHGIO
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i had my first experience with Lexus this weekend and wow.. let me tell you. I went in with a warranty issue on my 09 IS. and they treated me the same as anyone else in there. got a loaner car for the weekend. oh... they gave me an is250. very stripped down, but i didnt have to drive a cobalt , or get a shuttle ride... so it was awesome.
Old 12-17-08, 08:58 AM
RolxuSC400
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Oh not this gripe again. Look its a LOANER your not buying it your DRIVING it this is one complaint people had at the MB dealership I worked at...coming in with their 90's C Class and expecting an E Class or S Class or ML for routine maintenance. We put them in a rental from Enterprise or they had the choice of shuttle or waiting area. I never griped what I drove long as it drove.

Wish all I had to worry about in my life is the type of loaner car I was going to get.
Old 12-17-08, 10:35 AM
tC_demon
Pole Position

The stickers are selling gimmicks, for other potential Lexus buyers...they see what a nice car Lexus let you borrow for having your vehicle service, so if they buy there Lexus they will know they will get treated with a loaner at the Service dept. Yeah at South Bay Lexus they mainly have RX's and ES's and I seen a few IS's and GS's...and rarely the LS. I gotten to drive the RX hybrid (every nice), and the GS460 also very nice and fast. I mainly pick the RX Hybrid over anything else... For me is RX Hybrid, GS, ES, RX, and IS ( I know the IS is last but I drive it almost every day)
Old 12-17-08, 11:04 AM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use South Bay Lexus too and I always ask...

"Do you have anything that's not a RX"

Old 12-17-08, 11:28 AM
LexFather

^^^ lol. The only RX I got that intrigued me was the 400h. Otherwise I ask for an IS.

Old 12-17-08, 04:16 PM
felixsc300
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
1. People bringing in a 15 year old Lexus on Friday, drive the loaner all weekend, for an oil change.

3. Peoople borrowing loaners for a couple days and NOT even getting work done. They bring it in for an estimate, get a loaner and thats it.
4. People who want loaners but hardly EVER use the dealer for any service and NEVER buy a car from them.
I never knew such guidelines existed, though it does vary from dealer to dealer.

At Lexus of Sacramento, they ask you to either fill up the tank to the same amount it had when it was given to you or pay $0.20 per mile.
Old 12-17-08, 04:23 PM
Perfection
Lead Lap

The Longo Lexus Toyota Sienna shuttle ROCKS!
Old 12-17-08, 04:28 PM
iKenn
Just call me "Sprinkes"

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I go to sewell of dallas, i they like me so much they let me get a loaner and im not 21.
I got an ES and i have an IS.
Old 12-17-08, 04:33 PM
felixsc300
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by iKenn
I go to sewell of dallas, i they like me so much they let me get a loaner and im not 21.
I got an ES and i have an IS.
Boo, I'm not 21 and all they can give me are Hertz rentals.
Old 12-17-08, 05:56 PM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I am not 21 and they dont give me anything, I had to sit at the dealer for 3.5 hours one day for a TSIB.

At least I brought a book with me lol
Old 12-17-08, 05:58 PM
iKenn
Just call me "Sprinkes"

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Oh, you guys should come to sewell.
Old 12-17-08, 06:13 PM
Tangerine
Driver

Originally Posted by greg0723
for those of had loaner cars from lexus do they give you the same car you have? I.E. is250 awd for an is 250 awd. i dont want none of thier 05's for my 08 etc.. lol. i went to toyota with my 07 camry and my loaner for that 15k service was a crappy corolla with nothing in it.

also if they give a loaner i know you have to fill it up with gas but are there any other charges? im thinking of telling them to "try" and fix the rattles in my driver seat, driver speaker on the door top samll one, and rattles in the center dash around the radio.
For the IS I got an ES, for a Camry I got nothing.

This reminds me of an incident that happened at my Benz dealer, there was this disgruntled woman in her 40's *****ing and complaining to the service adviser because she got a brand new C-class loaner car. She kept saying how she bought in her $100k S-class and she would not be caught dead in a $30k car.

I dunno what happened but I ended up with the C class cause I was next in line. I'm guessing I was gonna get a Kia or something cause I was never that lucky.

So.... get off your high horse cause some dealerships don't even give you a loaner car.
Old 12-17-08, 06:49 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

I didn't know people had such problems with loaners, we always get a loaner, usually a rx hybrid or is250, sometimes an es350, and this is for bringing in the lx or es, which or both getting up their in age. And as to the lady with the s class, if i were the guy at the benz dealer id be like "Ummm, ya, we figured that since you didn't want the 30k mercedes, you can ride the 80 grand vehicle outside on the corner, its called a bus"
Old 12-17-08, 09:14 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I am sure some dealers would like to go off b/c of issues like the ones below:
A lot of dealers are SICK AND TIRED of people that ABUSE the loaner program and the courtesy Lexus provides. I've heard HORROR stories. The loaner program has gotten a lot stricter in the last couple years.
2. People putting dogs, cats, smoking endlessly in a loaner.

I don't have a percentage of people that do that but it IS a problem. The other issue is this is not the same Lexus of 10 years ago. There are DOUBLE the amount of Lexus on the roads, which means more in for service, which means more loaners but not that much more. Lexus dealers have invested over $800 million the last 3 years or so by Lexus demands to allow for bigger service areas and revamped dealerships.

Bottom line you should have a relationship with your dealer.
Those days are over. Lexus dealers are not dumb. There are rules and you hear about it when they give you the loaner. Gas at the same level or they charge you, not making appointments for Fridays, and not keeping the car longer than a day after your car is ready. These rules are nothing new and I get the same earful at Audi and Mercedes.
I agree about making a rapore with a dealer. I go as far as to detail my loaner cars. Why? I love cars. Two, I love Lexuses. Three, the cleaner I keep the loaner, the cleaner they'll keep my car.

Quick Reply: loaner car question